I find these interesting to see every year

Land ... a great investment if you know how to buy it right. Did they place any minimum standard for what grade of soil qualifies or just value on land with ag crops?

Land prices are obscene here compared to the actual production potential of the land. Recreational purchasers are driving the land values. My next door cattle ranching neighbor says there is no way in your life time you would ever recover land purchase expenses at $5000 plus per acre - which is what low end cattle land is selling for now - paid by recreational users or city folks wanting 50 acre ranchettes. The cattle ranchers are contributing to the problem because they can sell land at a much higher price selling 50 acres at a time than 500 acres at a time.

And land here is priced nothing like the midwest

Land prices are obscene here compared to the actual production potential of the land. Recreational purchasers are driving the land values. My next door cattle ranching neighbor says there is no way in your life time you would ever recover land purchase expenses at $5000 plus per acre - which is what low end cattle land is selling for now - paid by recreational users or city folks wanting 50 acre ranchettes. The cattle ranchers are contributing to the problem because they can sell land at a much higher price selling 50 acres at a time than 500 acres at a time.

And land here is priced nothing like the midwest
In 20 years, 100 acres will be the new 1000 because of fragmentation

Something I often forget about is that often these larger pieces were at one time multiple farms that someone had joined.
Looking at older plat books, a family farming 160 acres was impressive in the early 19th century.

I am a little surprised the land values held as strong as they did for "high quality" land across the midwest. It seems like I have heard or read from multiple sources that the high end was getting some pull back for prices. The comments with those reports was that the high end of pricing was more speculative and variable.

In some areas things seem to be getting combined more than chopped up. A good buddy from college is now farming 60k acres in ND. He is constantly buying more land. He throws me a text every once in a while when there is a parcel with non-row crop acres to see if I'm interested in buying that portion to make the farmable portions worth it to him. Seems like there are lots of big farms out there and next to nobody looking to get their 5, 10, 40 acre plots to put a home.

I don't know if/when sprawl is going to get to parts of the dakotas but the rec land market doesn't seem as in demand? Maybe its the beauty of no guaranteed rifle tags unless you own a quarter section?