Hybrid weedmat?

bigboreblr

5 year old buck +
Got most of my weedmats done a few weeks ago. Did about 1.5-2 inches of crushed #1 stone with regular box store weedmat material. 3x3 squares and 2ft of 3ft tall window screen around the trunk Think ill be safe with the voles if I finish the edges with mulch? Most tree cages are 10ft of 4ft 2x4 mesh. So there would be atleast 18 inches of stone around the tree. Just a little concerned about running the zero turn knocking stones all around.

I put a dozen antonovka bareroots in those 10ft cages and just mulch and no weedmat. No voles got to the anotovkas. I dug up most of them for other trees this fall/spring. Hit them with clethodim a few times.

I would go with a 5' high cage. An adult doe can reach in 18" or so over a 4' high tree cage.

I got a great deal on a guy selling fencing ends, last 15-25ft on rolls. Need to unravel them. More 6ft than 5ft. Arm is in a sling, so itll be sometime this summer.

For apples, I'd go with 5' as tree mentioned. They'll get to 4 footers most likely, unless you raise a foot off the ground w/ two posts. I like a 5 or 6 ft post and 5 ft fencing. Window screen for mice/etc.

Think I have enough 6ft tall to do all my trees. The main thing is the mulch. think the mulch will be ok?

I had 10 antonovka bareroots in the same spot with mulch, but without weedmat. No vole issues. I avoided weedmat last year because I did that with my spruce trees, had alot of ant issues and copperheads under them too.

I don't mulch fruit trees. Just mat/window screen.

I don't mulch fruit trees. Just mat/window screen.
Will the fiberglass window screen fabric do or does it need to be metal? I can't find any of the metal screen material locally. I have some fiberglass screen material and 1/4" metal mesh.

Will the fiberglass window screen fabric do or does it need to be metal? I can't find any of the metal screen material locally. I have some fiberglass screen material and 1/4" metal mesh.
I've always used aluminum window screen. Not sure if they could chew threw fiberglass or not. 1/4" metal mesh would work I'd think.

Definitely need aluminum window screen.

Definitely need aluminum window screen.

Thought so. I’ll just make nice cylinders out of the 1/4”. One possible advantage of the heavier material is it should be easier to get it a couple inches into the soil.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I got loamy clay. Mice seem to be at bay more or less anything "hard earth". Amend the soil alot or loosen it pretty good, they're digging. Make sure you firm up the soil, but not too aggressively, you can damage roots pushing too hard. I put some crushed rock around the 1/4" steel mesh. Some under the weedmat, then a layer above.

I started rototilling a good circle around the tree hole, which would help quite a bit in growning. However, I dig maybe a 2-3ft circle, but I dig down maybe 2ft, amend that a little bit, a half a coffee cup of lime and maybe a shotglass or two of f6-24-24 ertilizer. Pack it back in every few inches. Don't want a wet season well hole to kill roots. Anything mixed with fertilzer doesn't come in contact with the roots, I use plain ole' dirt that was there. Better to ensure survival than make a inviting digging spot for animals.

I'd go with something steel. or aluminum. I think the cheapest place I found for 36" window screen was ordering from home depot online. 36"x100' roll I got. Around $1000 or o, maybe a bit less. Any tree I put a 18" tall or better 1/4" mesh vole guard has not been bothered.

A vole trick I found that works. Scratch a 3/4" diameter travel path to a piece of plywood 2x3ft or so. Then put mice poison in the channel.

Cage hieght. 5 foot is ideal. Is 6ft too much for the lower branch?

Cage hieght. 5 foot is ideal. Is 6ft too much for the lower branch?
Probably not after 20 years, but I'd stick w/ 5'. That seems to do just fine. Cage height and 1st branch.

I got loamy clay. Mice seem to be at bay more or less anything "hard earth". Amend the soil alot or loosen it pretty good, they're digging. Make sure you firm up the soil, but not too aggressively, you can damage roots pushing too hard. I put some crushed rock around the 1/4" steel mesh. Some under the weedmat, then a layer above.

I started rototilling a good circle around the tree hole, which would help quite a bit in growning. However, I dig maybe a 2-3ft circle, but I dig down maybe 2ft, amend that a little bit, a half a coffee cup of lime and maybe a shotglass or two of f6-24-24 ertilizer. Pack it back in every few inches. Don't want a wet season well hole to kill roots. Anything mixed with fertilzer doesn't come in contact with the roots, I use plain ole' dirt that was there. Better to ensure survival than make a inviting digging spot for animals.

I'd go with something steel. or aluminum. I think the cheapest place I found for 36" window screen was ordering from home depot online. 36"x100' roll I got. Around $1000 or o, maybe a bit less. Any tree I put a 18" tall or better 1/4" mesh vole guard has not been bothered.

A vole trick I found that works. Scratch a 3/4" diameter travel path to a piece of plywood 2x3ft or so. Then put mice poison in the channel.
Did you add an extra zero?