Hunting video camera?

Turkey Creek

5 year old buck +
So which brands do you guys have/had? Good and the bad. Looking only for something to shoot footage of my hunts for the memories. Not looking to produce a web or t.v. show. Definitely needs to be mountable on a bow and possibly a shotgun.

Thanks

I have the latest Midland XTC HD action cam and I really like it. I compared it to my nephews go pro and I don't see any difference (not slamming go pro). It's nice for close up video of hunting and habitat projects but not for zooming in. It has built in wifi and an app for controlling it remotely. Takes very good quality video for the price. I don't use a video camera for zooming and all that so I can't give a suggestion for that.

This is just my opinion. I think you are better off doing like the Go Pro Hero with a head mount. That way wherever you are looking the camera will point but yet you won't have that shock from the shot and miss the POI on video. The video I took with a bow mounted camera missed the arrow hitting the deer because of vibration. Just my two cents worth.

Like this

Another option is the Tactacam.

I've never used one but have heard good things about them. I'm looking at getting one myself.

I'll be watching as I'm also looking for one.

I'm in the market as well. I will prolly wind up getting a Sony handycam HD for 200 or some kind of similar nock off brand. Check ebay, they are cheap

The problem with many (if not all) of the fixed lens cameras is that everything beyond a few feet is tiny. I have watched some You Tube video and at 30 yards deer are midget sized.

I would assume that recoil of a bow or gun would screw up some cameras if mounted directly to them?

I have the Sony HDR-CX210 Handycam. $230 new off EBAY. Mounted on my bow with a $20 mount that screws in where the stabilizer goes. Takes video this good, what more do you want?
I would not buy a go pro, they have no zoom, at least the old ones did not.

Holy cow that microphone is good or the deer are deaf!:)

Looking like a Sony cam or something similar is the way to go.

Holy cow that microphone is good or the deer are deaf!:)

Looking like a Sony cam or something similar is the way to go.

The microphone is unreal. You should hear the video when you let an arrow fly. Sounds like the bow came apart!:eek: