Hunting the neighors deer

The reason I'd gate the road (if I could) wouldn't be for the neighbors, it'd be for all the "looky looky" roadhunters. If that section of road is only traveled by the neighbors....I wouldn't gate it either. If it gets other traffic...I'd gate it in a heartbeat.

That's why I'd gate it. Lots of Looky Lou's in my neighborhood.

I have a public road on my east 80 that stops at my gate. Bridge went out on the other side of the property and the township decided not to fix it. The previous owner gated it. The road is now considered abandoned and its planted to soybeans.

I don't totally understand the idea of how walking the line is automaticly going to force deer onto your property. Couldn't it force the deer further into your neighbors? Deer don't have any association to property lines. Human disturbance is just like any predator disturbance.

By walking my east line, usually a grouse run with the dog, I can watch the deer that bed on mine but end up on the bigger ag fields to the east routinely wait until after dark to cross that line. The appear to 'know' its the line between deer woods and where I tred and they avoid it during daylight.

It doesn't force deer onto mine but it helps keep them there during daylight hours.

The reason I'd gate the road (if I could) wouldn't be for the neighbors, i.

Bet you would when you found out the one neighbors 'guests' shot 6 does with his bow.

I talked to a relative who is an attorney and they said that the town could grant you to gate road but unless they sold or leased you the property that the town road lays on, that people could still climb over gate and walk on road without being trespassing. Now if they went around gate and walked on your proprty to get around the gate it would be trespassing. Also if the property owner at end of road was not notified of road closing they could make a stink and get it reopened.

I am the owner at the end of the road, and the neighbors can not get to their land without walking on mine. The road ends on mine.

Standard Township road right of way is 66' wide so you would have to fence also .

If they have had legal access in past . No one can just terminate with out notifications to adjacent property owners.

Great way to get enemy and have to worry about fall out from them. Your land will no longer be fun place to enjoy.

I talked to a relative who is an attorneyand they said that the town could grant you to gate road but unless they sold or leased you the property that the town road lays on, that people could still climb over gate and walk on road without being trespassing. Now if they went around gate and walked on your proprty to get around the gate it would be trespassing. Also if the property owner at end of road was not notified of road closing they could make a stink and get it reopened.

Yup, in our area there are township roads gated, but anyone with land along the road gets access through the gate. They would have to get a key.

I am the owner at the end of the road, and the neighbors can not get to their land without walking on mine. The road ends on mine.

With this detail gating sounds ok in my book. They didn't even have legal access from the road to begin with.

I may leave it as is unless problems surface. I was looking more for opinions on housing deer vs trying to hunt deer that are living on the neighbors. The deer are spread out right now but as soon as the leaves drop and the neighbors enter the woods I house the bulk of the deer I get pics of. The ability to hunt my east border vs 'mark' it would open up a couple very good stand sites that are cold the way I use the place now.

Last year nobody went in there as the sightings were few and far between the year before, but I can't plan on that. If they slip in and I don't mark the border the deer will pass them during the day.

From the map you posted the town road runs north and south about 1/4 mile with your land to the west and neighbors land to east. If I am understanding right. Your neighbor to east of town road is ok with gating road? What is stopping the hunters from walking on east side of town road to get to their hunting spots or is the landowner directly east of town road different than the landowner where the guys are hunting?

Maybe...but if there is history of them being able to do so, it would likely come down to who has more money to pay their attorneys.
Tell that to my old man when the county decided to berm up our old access road. We got screwed on that deal and had no recourse at all to remedy the situation. One of the primary reasons he decided to sell the place.

If the municipality wants it gated, then it will get gated. The township ok'd it, it even sounds like they "suggested" it, so they can and will do what they want unless you have deeded access via that road.

From the map you posted the town road runs north and south about 1/4 mile with your land to the west and neighbors land to east. If I am understanding right. Your neighbor to east of town road is ok with gating road? What is stopping the hunters from walking on east side of town road to get to their hunting spots or is the landowner directly east of town road different than the landowner where the guys are hunting?

landowner to east has a 40 that matches to mine on the west and the township road actually ends before the property owner to the NE land starts. But the easement spoken of may queer that did not consider that.

Last edited by a moderator:
With a prevailing west wind, what other access choices do you have besides your east line and the road to the south. Gating the road access is one thing, but you will likely not be able to change much with your access either way, and if they are pushing the deer your direction when they access from their east side, will it lead to you getting busted on a more regular basis? I guess I would prefer them pushing deer my direction other than pushing them away from me when they access their stands, regardless of the other issues with my own access, especially if they disappear from the area entirely if they get bumped. I'd worry about my own access issues after that was dealt with, at least you have full control over your own situation.

Standard Township road right of way is 66' wide so you would have to fence also .

If they have had legal access in past . No one can just terminate with out notifications to adjacent property owners.

Great way to get enemy and have to worry about fall out from them. Your land will no longer be fun place to enjoy.

Not true in all areas about the 66 foot right of way. Most of our township roads have no right of way and I own to the middle of the road. County roads have the right of way. In other cases, right of ways might be 33 feet or half of that (cartway).

My hunting camp has a border on a remote township road. Remote road in Northern Pa. means " drive-by meat supply ". That's why we planted several rows of Norway and white spruce, and white pines all along that road. That makes life very hard for the " looky-lookies ". Some of the other camps have done the same thing in our locale. Why work to improve your ground so other slime - balls can shoot deer off the road ?? If you have non-landowners using that road, ( and it's not a thru-road to somewhere else ) and you have permission to gate it - I'd gate it.

,, I always thought the idea with buying and controlling a larger tract and putting in habitat improvement was to make your land better for your sport . That's the way I view it but I don't live for deer at any cost and have never entered the woods concerned about what the neighbors are doing and where , so they shoot some deer isn't that why they are in the woods then .

I won't be voting for Hillary, and I don't do improvements for the neighbors. Until our state decides to manage for hunt able numbers of deer that won't change. I will have far better hunting than my neighbors and sleep well every night.

If the neighbor doesn't hunt, I'd try renting the property at least. Gets everyone out and u able to protect more deer.
That will get u the gate without pissing hem off too. Your protecting his land with that gate as well.

Bet you would when you found out the one neighbors 'guests' shot 6 does with his bow.
I won't be voting for Hillary, and I don't do improvements for the neighbors. Until our state decides to manage for hunt able numbers of deer that won't change. I will have far better hunting than my neighbors and sleep well every night.
Sounds like the neighbors are doing very well with your assistance keeping deer out of their property , Im pretty sure they don't and wont lose any sleep over this either , I am learning so much I did not know that deer could be herded by taking a few walks in the woods , it doesn't work that way here as I have observed

Deer behavior is so different between areas and it somewhat depends on previous hunts/tag allocations over the last few years.

Adult does are skittyish as heck where I live, but often stand around and watch cars go by in traditional lottery areas up north.

Maybe skittish isn't a word???

Yup, I'd add that behavior also varies based on property layout/design
Agreed and also how you have hunted those does through the years.

I am beginning to think those old does that have survived Intensive Harvest, Early Antlerless Seasons and still raised fawns will NEVER get over their behavior traits. The future generations might be more visible.
I also think buck hunting is a whole lot harder when the does are so nocturnal and skittish.

I also think buck hunting is a whole lot harder when the does are so nocturnal and skittish.

For what it's worth, I completely agree. This isn't the best analogy ever, as there are plenty of flaws to it, but a "mob mentality" is about the best I can come up with, with the does leading the mob. If the does are active at all times of day, I believe that even the most wary buck is more active/less cautious than when the does are super skittish and move little during daylight.