Hunters shoots two dogs

Status
Not open for further replies.
That hurts just reading it. My dogs mean so much to me I can't imagine that experience. I don't think they should have been killed but dogs running wild on private property can be a serious problem. Their should be stiffer penalties for owners who don't watch their dogs. Years ago my grandpa accidentally trapped a neighbor dog (from over a mile away) and he got a hefty fine for having a trap that was out of compliance. The dog was a known deer chaser for years. It is a bad situation for everyone.

There is so much wrong with story it's hard to start.

Shouldn't have shot dogs that he obviously had never seen before. Problem dogs that come back often I get. I had one of those. Called him over and he came. unholstered a 9mm but just couldn't do it.

But the possibility of two years in the pen for shooting 2 dogs seems extreme to me too.

Lock his ass up. Someone shoots my dog and it might be the last thing they do.

Funny how ethics differ across the country. In VA it is legal and a tradition for many to hunt deer with dogs. There are laws allowing dog hunters to trespass on posted lands to retrieve dogs. It is illegal to remove a collar or harm the dog. Where I grew up in Pennsylvania, folks were encourage to shoot any dog without a collar chasing deer (I was young, so I don't know what the law was at the time, but it was certainly the ethic there at the time).

I have kids so I would have restrain from payback, otherwise...

Having been raised in PA like Jack, I would certainly be tempted to put down a dog or two that were chasing deer on our property. But just passing through, no.

In MN, you can not shoot dogs during the fall hunting season. They can be shot doing damage to livestock or farm property. I know, I have shot many that came in the yard to kill my wifes chickens.

Its Pretty simple, keep your fricken dogs locked up and they won't get shot!

Last edited by a moderator:
If you care for your pets, control them.

In MN, you can not shoot dogs during the fall hunting season. They can be shot doing damage to livestock or farm property. I know, I have shot many that came in the yard to kill my wifes chickens.

Its Pretty simple, keep your fricken dogs locked up and they won't get shot!
Just like the mom I watch turn her back on her toddler at the grocery store parking lot today and he bolted...accidents happen. I also have guys that hunt within eyesight of my house. My dog could be under thier stand in two seconds. Sounds like what happened in this story.

Reactions: kl9
I can't fathom how a deer would mean so much to someone they feel the need to shoot a dog. If a dog is killin livestock and causing damage I understand it needs to be dealt with. From what I read in that article nothing indicates these dogs were doing anything of a nuisance other than walked off the property. What the **** is wrong with people

I can't fathom how a deer would mean so much to someone they feel the need to shoot a dog. If a dog is killin livestock and causing damage I understand it needs to be dealt with. From what I read in that article nothing indicates these dogs were doing anything of a nuisance other than walked off the property. What the **** is wrong with people

I agree, WTF is wrong with people letting there dogs run everywhere! Lock em up!

I have a public hunting area across from my house. My Rottie always wears a blaze orange vest during the WI gun deer season. I also keep him on lead and walk him in my backyard away from the public hunting area. I would be real mad is some idiot shot my dog. Than again, I would never allow him to run wild.

I agree, WTF is wrong with people letting there dogs run everywhere! Lock em up!

You clearly missed my main point about a deer meaning enough to someone to shoot a pet. Like I said before... Some people

You clearly missed my main point about a deer meaning enough to someone to shoot a pet. Like I said before... Some people

But i didn't miss your point!

lock your dogs up and they won't get shot!!!
lock your dogs up and they won't get hit by a car!!!
lock your dogs up and they won't get caught in a trap!!!

Get my point?

I agree that owners should be responsible, but accidents and lapse of judgment doesn't justify killing someone's pet.

Anyone willing to shoot a pet because it ruined their hunt is no sportsman in my book.

lock your dogs up and they won't get hit by a car!!!
lock your dogs up and they won't get caught in a trap!!!

Get my point?

I think your point is blatantly clear that you would shoot a dog wondering around on your property. I have no respect for that.

The problem is its this neighbors dog, then that neighbors dog, then joe blows dog ruining a hunt.

Lock your fricken dogs up and they don't normally get shot!

Bottom line is what the guy did is illegal. Doesn't matter what you or I feel about he situation. He has to answer to the law.

I think your point is blatantly clear that you would shoot a dog wondering around on your property. I have no respect for that.

Not only have I, I shot a neighbors dog, drove over to the ******** house and threw it in his kitchen! You should have seen those fireworks!

Status
Not open for further replies.