How to get this Rusted Part off my Spreader

Another option is 50/50 mix of ATF and Acetone. Proven as the best "rust buster" by Machinists Workshop in controlled testing. Our shop guys have spray bottles of this stuff everywhere. Results of their tests:
Penetrating oils ........... Average torque load to loosen

No Oil used ................... 516 pounds
WD-40 ..................... ... 238 pounds
PB Blaster .................... 214 pounds
Liquid Wrench ...............127 pounds
Kano Kroil .................... 106 pounds
ATF*-Acetone mix............53 pounds

OK, is ATF transmission fluid? Impressive performance compared to the others. Looks like from liquid wrench to ATF should do it.

Good list, thanks for sharing.

Yes, ATF is transmission fluid, good luck I've always found that some appropriate &%$@* language at the correct time seems to help.

Yes, automatic transmission fluid mixtures ... I have heard success stories about them, but I have never tried it.

I used atf/acetone mix in my Farmall M cylinders when they froze/rusted. I still get water mixed in with my oil on that machine. When it rains she blows water out the exhaust for the first start. Any ideas on the issue? It has a flapper on the exhaust so that should not be it.

How are the exhaust flanges designed where the muffler bolts to the pipe from the manifold? If it is a female(larger) on the manifold pipe and a male(smaller) on the muffler end, it may be seeping in there? If it is getting into the oil though, that would almost seem to be coming from the intake side, not the exhaust.

Last edited:
I used atf/acetone mix in my Farmall M cylinders when they froze/rusted. I still get water mixed in with my oil on that machine. When it rains she blows water out the exhaust for the first start. Any ideas on the issue? It has a flapper on the exhaust so that should not be it.
Is the muffler slipped over or into the connecting pipe/manifold?

Torch it, get it glowing and get the proper wrench so you dont round off the sides.

Is the muffler slipped over or into the connecting pipe/manifold?
Muffler slips over and then clamped. But I will be double checking.

We use the atf-acetone mix in our shop on old rusted stuff from fertilizer. Works awesome

Bat Man,
my brother had this happen to his tractor. The muffler had a hole in the top and it acted like a funnel. Locked his engine up tight.

My farmall sits outside as well. I put a 5 gal pail over the muffler even though it has a flapper on it. And I cut a ice cream pail lid with a 2" in hole in it. Slit it from the outside to the center hole and slip it around the muffler pipe where it goes into the hood. Water issue solved.

Gonna run with MO and Mikes ideas. I know its rain because when I pulled the drain plug to change the oil first thing out was clean water, followed by milky oil. Guess my $800 tractor deserves a couple plastic pails to keep it happy.

Thats my free help kicking the old girl every chance he gets.
IMG_0946.JPG

There is no so called FREE help. Just remember that! They all require beer or food!

There is no so called FREE help. Just remember that! They all require beer or food!

Just wrote a check for his deer mount. And he does require fuel every 2 hours max.

Free is relative for the relatives.

Sounds like somebody dodged a bullet with the water in the oil / engine. Keep that exhaust stack covered. ;)