How many have sprayed and seeded the same day before a rain?

BobinCt

5 year old buck +
How many have done this? I’m trying for the first time today and curious if it effects germination rates. I always spray 5-7 days before a rain but was curious to see how this would work. I actually sprayed yest and going to seed today since we are getting rain tonight so it’s really 2 days prior. I’ve read on here people do it but have you noticed a big difference ( or any) if you planted when the field was already toast?

I broadcast clover/chicory into buckwheat, weed whacked the buckwheat then sprayed it all in the same day. I think I got rain within the next 2 days. Seems to be germinating fine for me. I experimented on another plot that I didn't realize got overgrown with mile a minute on one end. I broadcast peas and oats into the mile a minute then sprayed the crap out of it. Thought I'd use it for thatch. That was a week and a half ago. It was just starting to die off this past weekend when I checked. Hopefully it will all be brown this weekend with germination of the peas/oats up through it. Hopefully at least the mile a minute dies off.

You’re good. Most spray is rain safe within 4 hours. Doubt anything isn’t after 24 hours

I am set up where I can spray and seed at he same time. I just sprayed gly and spread japanese millet last week. Millet is starting to come up. Have no idea what kind of stand it will be. Not a throw n mow but a spray and throw - so seed will have to fight through that standing vegetation - smart weed

Gly is rain safe within an hours and there are no residual ground with gly.

How many have done this? I’m trying for the first time today and curious if it effects germination rates. I always spray 5-7 days before a rain but was curious to see how this would work. I actually sprayed yest and going to seed today since we are getting rain tonight so it’s really 2 days prior. I’ve read on here people do it but have you noticed a big difference ( or any) if you planted when the field was already toast?

Let us know

I predict that you are "golden"

bill

Just don't get Glyphosate on your seed:

Just don't get Glyphosate on your seed:

Why would you spray gly on bare dirt?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't plant on bare dirt anymore. Check out the no-till drill in my avatar.

Whether you are planting throw n mow, roll n broadcast, or however you want to plant, you don't want glyphosate on your seed. Check out the video above.

I dunno. I think we have to be clear on what herbicide it is we are spraying. I know, here it's assumed to be glyphosate? If it is, glyphosate is a contact herbicide absorbed thru plant cell walls and stoma (respiration holes in the leaf) into any green plants vascular system. Glyphosate is reported to be inactivated in the soil upon contact with it. Effectively, there is no soil residual. Seeding before, during, or after presents no problem as there is no plant transport mechanism - only a seed with it's coat still intact. If you seeded and then sprayed sometime after seeding it is possible to wipe out your crop. The key there is understanding the time any particular species needs to germinate.

I suspect we don't much use them here, but there are pre-emergent herbicides applied to the soil ahead of planting that might stop a germinating seed. It depends on the herbicide and the seed. Here and there I hear of simazine being used to control grasses in some crops. And these pre-emergent herbicides normally have a residual - an effectiveness at stopping the specific weeds from germinating for a period of time.

It goes on. Point being you need to know your herbicide and the weeds it controls to know the answer to the original question which simply was, I think, can I spray and seed on the same day. Spray what and seed what might be the answer.

Craig Harper wrote an excellent article published in quality whitetails several years ago entitled "Herbicide Primer"

Covers most of the herbicides used in plot management

Its worth a look

bill

The title referenced above is Weed Control Primer

I just googled it

bill

I've sprayed gly over broad casted seed to clean up any leftover green vegetation from the initial spraying a week or two before planting. Never any issues.