Houston County MN

kl9

5 year old buck +
I have a question for MN landowners and deer hunters. I live in La Crosse County, WI and am looking for a parcel in the 150-200 acre range to build a house on. Most of my searching has been done in WI in La Crosse/Trempealeau/Vernon counties. I've come across some parcels in Houston County, MN (Brownsville/Caledonia area) that have caught my attention. I know MN DNR is a disappointment to many, so I am very hesitant. I'm hoping MN hunters/landowners can give me an honest opinion on whether land in this area is a good investment (hunting purpose wise). Thanks in advance for any and all advice!

I'd be careful to not get too close to public land. I heard lots of chatter in my circles this year of frustrated northern hunters going down there with bows to get one for the freezer. I went to college down there and spent a lot of time around Houston/Money Creek area. Used to be tons of deer there, but who knows now.

Gun hunting during the rut. Tons of outfitters, many that don't respect property line boundaries. APR's and some complaints that guys are starting to notice that a lot of small basket racked 8pt's are being shot. Oh yeah, did I mention gun hunting during the rut.

Isn't Houston Co zone 3 so their season is later than the rest of the state for gun? I have a 'friend of a friend' who hunts there on private land and shot a 150 class this year. He knows some other guys who consistently pull really nice deer out of Houston Co. I would not hesitate to purchase there if it was the right spot.

They have 2 shotgun seasons. One nine day season in early Nov, and one nine day season over the week of Thanksgiving. You must choose which one you will be hunting when you purchase your license. The muzzleloader season is after the Thanksgiving shotgun hunt.

Last edited:
Here are the seasons for 2015 from the MN DNR website:

11/07/15 - 11/22/15
Deer Hunt - Firearm season - 1A
11/07/15 - 11/15/15
Deer Hunt - Firearm season - 2A and 3A
11/21/15 - 11/29/15
Deer Hunt - Firearm season - 3B

Notice how there is a 3A and a 3B season.

Bad gun season, but really good genetics, habitat and small bucks get passed (APR)--most anyway.

Taxes on timber are cheaper I think. Not sure on difference with state income tax.

Good luck.

There is some very good hunting in SE MN, especially in Houston County. The deer densities there are the highest in the state and the hunting can be excellent. The timing of the gun season makes bucks more vulnerable, but it sure is fun - you just need to give the deer everything they need on your property so they don't have a reason to leave. If you owned 160 acres down here in a good area, you could realistically harvest 4.5 year old bucks every year if you hunted bow and gun seasons. I know a lot of people that can shoot 4.5's every year on 40 acre properties down here. The deer population is high enough in most areas that you can also get a bonus tag for a doe as well.

I hunted Vernon County for a decade and I can say that the deer hunting in SE MN is better than the hunting we had on a couple properties in Vernon County.

Thanks for the replies everyone. It was so beautiful out today I went and checked out a few parcels in Houston County. Ended up getting the duramax buried in mud, felt like an idiot. However, I did meet a stand up farmer who lent a good 1.5 hours of his time to help me. Hopefully everyone over here is that nice, may just have to make the move!

Thanks for the replies everyone. It was so beautiful out today I went and checked out a few parcels in Houston County. Ended up getting the duramax buried in mud, felt like an idiot. However, I did meet a stand up farmer who lent a good 1.5 hours of his time to help me. Hopefully everyone over here is that nice, may just have to make the move!
Minnesota nice