Horizontal Buck Rubs.

Peplin Creek

5 year old buck +
Ted Miller talks about doing horizontal buck rubs. Has anyone tried this? It looks like it could be a very useful tool.

I feel like guy might be able to place these around bedding areas or just outside of them and get daylight activity on them and possible up ones chances of getting bucks within shooting distance. Maybe get some predictable patterns with bucks.

I've had amazing success with vertical rub trees (rub or scrape tree, whichever term you prefer) out in the open. As Steve B says "Turd in a punch bowl". Put one in a food plot and the deer can't resist checking it out. But the same setup in a wooded area has had zero success.

I'm hopeful a horizontal rub tree in a wooded setting will work better. Hope to find out this year.

-John

I just put one in this year for the first time may go back and add another. I put it on the edge of my main food plot next to where I want them to enter

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

I plan on making 4 of them across 80 acres starting the first week of sept when our bucks lose their velvet. I am going to make two in food plots in the middle of the property, and one on each end. I am really curious to see how deer will use these. I plan on making them out of pine limbs or trees cut down. I wonder if a guy could add pine tar to a different type of limb and get it two work if deer aren't that interested in it.