Hinging beech trees?

Roundup and a backpack sprayer will take out a lot of ferns. :emoji_slight_smile:
Sure will...but it can take out a lot of other stuff I’d like to keep too. I’ve spent a lot of time walking and spraying ferns...still a lot more to go too...lolF230092C-5391-41B2-A1E5-03483A2E34F0.jpeg

Attachments

• 6B0501B0-5FCE-4E06-80BA-1A407020D069.jpeg
    6B0501B0-5FCE-4E06-80BA-1A407020D069.jpeg
    596.2 KB · Views: 9
  • 35636D74-CCE4-428F-BF30-D94989508E87.jpeg
    35636D74-CCE4-428F-BF30-D94989508E87.jpeg
    607.4 KB · Views: 9
  • CBDD0C10-D9C9-4244-8686-F5A84BF85E17.jpeg
    CBDD0C10-D9C9-4244-8686-F5A84BF85E17.jpeg
    565.6 KB · Views: 9
Sure will...but it can take out a lot of other stuff I’d like to keep too. I’ve spent a lot of time walking and spraying ferns...still a lot more to go too...lolView attachment 18761
I'm just asking, I really don't know the answer, but Fern grows in acidic soil, correct? If so, would spreading pellet lime kill 2 birds? It would reduce conditions for fern and improve conditions for more "desirable" plants, and you wouldn't need (as much) herbicide. I don't have ferns so I don't know much about fighting them. Maybe changing the soil so it isn't compatible with fern is a way to reduce fern without using as much herbicide.
I'm doing something similar to fight Creeping Charlie. I'm not using lime, but I am using Borax. So far, it seems to be working.

Scenes in those pix look too familiar, Phil. We need tanker trucks of gly to kill all that need wiped out.

I have a cousin that's a forester and he says ferns are the biggest roadblock to forest regeneration. Root systems are like a steel wool pad.

I'm just asking, I really don't know the answer, but Fern grows in acidic soil, correct? If so, would spreading pellet lime kill 2 birds? It would reduce conditions for fern and improve conditions for more "desirable" plants, and you wouldn't need (as much) herbicide. I don't have ferns so I don't know much about fighting them. Maybe changing the soil so it isn't compatible with fern is a way to reduce fern without using as much herbicide.
I'm doing something similar to fight Creeping Charlie. I'm not using lime, but I am using Borax. So far, it seems to be working.
Tap....that is one of the control methods I’m looking at for ferns. My initial research was leading me down the path of liming, chemical applications and even mechanical means. I’m still diving into it, and I’m still thinking I’m going to have use a multitude of methods to achieve maximum effect. I still have a pile of bookmarked webpages to wade through in the subject. I’m going to reach out to PGC regional forester to see what if anything they are doing for fern control in several large timber harvests just down the road from the property. I also have a great contact with the local DCNR district forester. Right now I’m working on a small enough scale where I can also apply practical methods for experimental purposes before expanding the project area. I learn much more quickly by hands on experience.

Scenes in those pix look too familiar, Phil. We need tanker trucks of gly to kill all that need wiped out.

I have a cousin that's a forester and he says ferns are the biggest roadblock to forest regeneration. Root systems are like a steel wool pad.
Yep...I just read an article the other day about how ferns impact regen. It had a striking fact 58% of land area in PA is forested, over 20% of those forested acres are fern dominated understory.