Herman Munster watch

Native Hunter

5 year old buck +
Herman is continuing to grow. Should be interesting to see how he finishes. Last year both of those tall points had forks.

First two pics are recent and last pic is from last year.

that is one really cool looking buck right there!

what are you thinking in terms of age?

that is one really cool looking buck right there!

what are you thinking in terms of age?

Thanks Phil.

Well, last year was the first time I ever saw him, so my age guesses are based on the change I see from then till now. He was too big body wise last year to be a two year old. The gain in mass and body this year makes me think he was three last year and is four this year. If you look at the difference in mass at the bases, its more like what I would expect from 3 to 4 rather than 4 to 5.

What's your thoughts? Does my reasoning seem right?

I might add that I think most of those other deer I posted pics of recently are 3 year olds. When I get a pic of him near one of them, he makes them look like dwarfs.

Thanks Phil.

Well, last year was the first time I ever saw him, so my age guesses are based on the change I see from then till now. He was too big body wise last year to be a two year old. The gain in mass and body this year makes me think he was three last year and is four this year. If you look at the difference in mass at the bases, its more like what I would expect from 3 to 4 rather than 4 to 5.

What's your thoughts? Does my reasoning seem right?
in general i have a hard time putting specific years on summer bucks...especially from outside my area. The picture you posted of him last year is a pretty difficult one to age from because he is head on to the camera, but the ones from this year it is pretty easy to see that he has some level of maturity. I would think that you're assessment is probably right on the money since you know him and you know what different age classes in your neck of the woods look like this time of year. Does a 4 yr old get on the list for you? he sure has some awesome character...i know 4 yr olds are fair game for me....actually 3 and up make the list around here....not too many make it to 3 let alone older than that.

in general i have a hard time putting specific years on summer bucks...especially from outside my area. The picture you posted of him last year is a pretty difficult one to age from because he is head on to the camera, but the ones from this year it is pretty easy to see that he has some level of maturity. I would think that you're assessment is probably right on the money since you know him and you know what different age classes in your neck of the woods look like this time of year. Does a 4 yr old get on the list for you? he sure has some awesome character...i know 4 yr olds are fair game for me....actually 3 and up make the list around here....not too many make it to 3 let alone older than that.

I am giving 3 year olds a pass but will harvest a 4 year old. I would like to see it get to where I wouldn't take less than a 5 YO, but we may never see that. Our 3 year olds will have heavy bodies but racks are not close to what they will be at 4 or 5.

I sure like getting pictures of deer that can be identified from a previous year. This one is a little easier than some.:D

Pretty Buck NH! Love pics from one year to the next. I think I'm going back to harvesting 3 year olds. I passed solid 3 year old bucks 2 yrs in a row an don't think I can do again this yr! I finally got time to get a cam out today. Hope I have some survivors!

Pretty Buck NH! Love pics from one year to the next. I think I'm going back to harvesting 3 year olds. I passed solid 3 year old bucks 2 yrs in a row an don't think I can do again this yr! I finally got time to get a cam out today. Hope I have some survivors!

I remember some of those dandy 3 year olds you had on cam last year. I just want to see your eyes if one shows back up this time carrying about 30 inches more antler...LOL.

I remember some of those dandy 3 year olds you had on cam last year. I just want to see your eyes if one shows back up this time carrying about 30 inches more antler...LOL.
With all the rain we have had I think they will blow up this year! The forage beans are looking good although their not hitting them to hard yet. Guess thats a good thing. Maybe I will actually get pods this yr.
Did you plant any summer annual plots this yr?

With all the rain we have had I think they will blow up this year! The forage beans are looking good although their not hitting them to hard yet. Guess thats a good thing. Maybe I will actually get pods this yr.
Did you plant any summer annual plots this yr?

No, I didn't do any summer annuals. I have a plot of chicory, red clover and alfalfa which does a great job with summer nutrition, but I would love to do some beans someday. Finding the time to do everything I want to do is my problem.