Help me pick some trees to finish off orchard

For a KILLER-TASTING apple and late ripener - Goldrush !!! Sweet / tart balance is 10 stars. I'll second the guys who said Galarina & Kerr too. DR, good eaters and great deer apples if you want October into December / January hangers. For crabs ............ I've had excellent luck with All-Winter-Hangover & Winter Wildlife crabs from SLN. Good clusters of crab apples starting in year 3 on both.

My favorite- Pixie Crunch.

They have grown fast for me on dolgo rootstock and there have not been many disease issues. I should have fruit in a year or two.

When and how long is drop/ripening time?

I have tried them twice from the orchard where they were developed and they taste great.

How are they in cider? Blend or straight?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
They ripen before honeycrisp sept 10 here , they were so good none went to cider , we didn't let any hang on the trees either

Best place to purchase a kinder crisp?

Definitely need more space

Got some ideas brewing about where I may have more space at the farm! But want to save some space on this particular bench for planting plots.

Thanks for the feedback guys! I knew you would come up with some great varieties!
I have one gold rush at another less than perfect location at the farm. It gets hit pretty hard with cedar apple rust. Lots of red cedars on our place. Hasn't done to well over all but it wasn't planted with care like our more resent trees an its been a bit neglected. Just cleaned up around it yesterday and gave it a good weed treatment along with a dose of 12-12-12. It is a 4th leaf tree and looks about like a 2nd leaf should.
Anyhow. I am having fun reading up on the varieties you all are recommending. Keep them coming!

Jordan - Goldrush does get some CAR - it's not immune to it. But from all the reports I've read, the CAR doesn't affect the fruit much. Don't know if that's any help, but you may still have good luck with Goldrush.

Updated Spring 2019 "to plant" list.

Old Home Place Destination Apple Orchard (orchard original post referred to)
wickson crab M111
Keener seedling M111
Terry Winter M111
hyslop crab M111
Liberty (lowes clearance tree unknown rootstock)

New Kill Plot (Adding apples & pears to existing 4 asian pear plot)
Apples
Wickson crab M111
Hyslop crab M111
Liberty M106 (lowes clearance tree)
Wolf River (lowes clearance tree)
Pears
Aryes (lowes clearance tree)
Olympic x2

Last edited:
Is Gold Rush hardy to Zone 4?
I don't know from experience, but in the past I've had people recommend that I stay away from Goldrush for zone 4 as it may not be cold hardy enough.

Instead of Goldrush, I plant more Enterprise and hope to add more Kerr which both hopefully accomplish the same thing as Goldrush by dropping apples as late as possible in the fall.

I don't know from experience, but in the past I've had people recommend that I stay away from Goldrush for zone 4 as it may not be cold hardy enough.

Instead of Goldrush, I plant more Enterprise and hope to add more Kerr which both hopefully accomplish the same thing as Goldrush by dropping apples as late as possible in the fall.

Bummer. Some nurseries say Zone 4 and sell trees on M7 rootstock. I guess I will move it to the bottom of the list as something to try when I have a little money to burn.

I am taking my chances with Goldrush. I planted 3 more this spring. I am in 4B, I think crazyEd has some goldrush in zone 4B as well - I don’t think he’s had problems yet.

Home Depot has a pallet of Liberty apple trees for 11.50 yesterday. These were good size trees. Half of them had a few apples on them. I bought one to add to my home orchard even though i already have two. Tag says 12-15ft. I assume maybe m106 or m7? I plucked off all but 1 apple onnthe tree i bought.

Jordan - For a home orchard, that sounds perfect for size. And Liberty is a great DR variety. Nice deal too - a win.

Is Gold Rush hardy to Zone 4?
I am borderline zone 3. I planted two gold rush 3-4 years ago and their first winter was brutal with a few days below -30. The trees were about 30 yards apart and one died and the other had some winter kill. In the winters since it has suffered no damage and has turned into a nice tree, I am even expecting a few blossoms this year. I think if these border line trees make it through their first couple winters they get more tolerant to cold. I have a few more examples of trees suffering early and get stronger each year.

Updated Spring 2019 "to plant" list.

Old Home Place Destination Apple Orchard (orchard original post referred to)
wickson crab M111
Keener seedling M111
Terry Winter M111
hyslop crab M111
Liberty (lowes clearance tree unknown rootstock)

New Kill Plot (Adding apples & pears to existing 4 asian pear plot)
Apples
Wickson crab M111
Hyslop crab M111
Hewes Crab M111
Liberty M106 (lowes clearance tree)
Wolf River (lowes clearance tree)
Pears
Aryes (lowes clearance tree)
Olympic x2

My home orchard
Black limbertwig m111
Old fasion limbertwig m111

Last edited:
I'm not familiar with the Keener or Terry Winter apples, but all the rest look good!