Setting Up Your Orchard!

i have enough irons in the fire right now. But the Barracuda wants too, so you never know!
Mine wants bees too. I wonder why the women folk like the idea of bee hives? Well, I'm allergic to them so maybe she just want the life insurance. That could explain a lot:)

I'm lucky in regards to bees (knock on wood), a local company brings hives in each year. I get 8 qts of honey and the privilege of having the hives here. They're located in a corner of my main orchard
View attachment 12049

Up here we have had them twice, and both times the bear have tore them up, so my friend never brought them back. And a hot wire did not even slow the bear down. My wife loves the honey and even though she carries around a EPY, she still wants to monkey with them. She told me to get in some sweet clover, a while ago, so it may happen!

The bees here pre-date my ownership. I think they've been here for well over a decade. Bears hadn't bothered them until a couple years ago, then a young one got into a couple hives. The bee guys put up a hot wire and that took care of the problem.

Sweet clover is a PITA. I'd go buckwheat, but maybe she doesn't like buckwheat honey

Buckwheat is a weed here, I sure as hell ain't planting anymore of it......

You haven't planted sweet clover then have you?

Nope, sure it will end up being the same though according to the tone of your keyboard. But I have just got all the wild buckwheat under control, I sure ain't going to start planting it!

Wild sweet clover is nearly impossible to control IME. It drinks gly up for a cocktail, even a hot dose. It is also biennial or perennial, at least BW dies when it gets below freezing

I deal with Alsike burn off, If the barracuda wants it, I will deal with sweet clover burn off.

She got this dam sweet clover honey from our friend in Missouri, and loves it. So that is now my problem coming if she wants bee's!

Mine wants bees too. I wonder why the women folk like the idea of bee hives? Well, I'm allergic to them so maybe she just want the life insurance. That could explain a lot:)

Bee's an chickens! Mine has been sending me pictures of chicken coops for a damn month!
Guess I better get to building one! I just can't wrap my head around fooling with chickens when eggs are 1.99 dozen. Ahh well it will be good to teach the kids work ethos. As will bees. I want to skip them both an get a handful of mini Hereford or lowline cows!

Mo my AB apples are close to ALLOT of cedars and no signs of Rust. Unlike my gold rush tree. It was chewed up Bad with it

Bee's an chickens! Mine has been sending me pictures of chicken coops for a damn month!
Guess I better get to building one! I just can't wrap my head around fooling with chickens when eggs are 1.99 dozen. Ahh well it will be good to teach the kids work ethos. As will bees. I want to skip them both an get a handful of mini Hereford or lowline cows!

Mo my AB apples are close to ALLOT of cedars and no signs of Rust. Unlike my gold rush tree. It was chewed up Bad with it

AB? Arkansas Black? I hope Bwoods can hook me up with his guy on some potted!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lol, women can be goofy. Mine wants NOTHING to do with chickens! Mini Herefords might be cool though!

Lol, women can be goofy. Mine wants NOTHING to do with chickens! Mini Herefords might be cool though!

I have shot more dogs killing my wife's chickens.........pretty fun!

AB? Arkansas Black? I hope Bwoods can hook me up with his guy on some potted!

Yessir Arkansas black
I'm grafting a handful this yr if you don't get any your welcome to have a few on mine! Be a good reason for me to come up an visit!

Yessir Arkansas black
I'm grafting a handful this yr if you don't get any your welcome to have a few on mine! Be a good reason for me to come up an visit!

Or down!

I wanted some mini Texas longhorns but have since read their meat isn't as good as Herefords an lowlines. Plus the wife is worried about her babies getting horned in the A$$!
Getting my kids involved in 4H. They just started as "clover kids" lol. Figured they could start showing chickens then progress to mini cows. They have a 4H auction where all the rich farmers like buckchaser come an over pay for the critters since it's for a good cause;)
IMG_1858.JPG

This is assuming my grafting average goes up not down haha
I'm at about 25% :/
but know where I went wrong with the failed grafts!

Jordan, you have no Idea! I have paid $400 for chicken. $500 for a goat! $2,500 for a calf........

But I would not have it any other way! You get them kids in 4H, I will drive down for the auction, you can bet your ass on that!

I wanted some mini Texas longhorns but have since read their meat isn't as good as Herefords an lowlines. Plus the wife is worried about her babies getting horned in the A$$!
Getting my kids involved in 4H. They just started as "clover kids" lol. Figured they could start showing chickens then progress to mini cows. They have a 4H auction where all the rich farmers like buckchaser come an over pay for the critters since it's for a good cause;)
View attachment 12070
Mini longhorn? Awfully cute! If they are anything like their full sized counterparts they know what's on their head and how to use it. Dangerous beasts that are a pain to work.
I like the mini hereford idea. I'm going to have to research that a little.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Mini longhorn? Awfully cute! If they are anything like their full sized counterparts they know what's on their head and how to use it. Dangerous beasts that are a pain to work.
I like the mini hereford idea. I'm going to have to research that a little.

You got kids going into 4H cat? It is one of the best things for a child growing up that you can imagine. Teaches them what chores are, responsibilities, consequences, everything!

And a big reward at the auction for their hard work! Nothing better brother!

You got kids going into 4H cat? It is one of the best things for a child growing up that you can imagine. Teaches them what chores are, responsibilities, consequences, everything!

And a big reward at the auction for their hard work! Nothing better brother!
Thought about it, haven't made the step yet.

Thought about it, haven't made the step yet.

My wife started with our 5 yr old last week. They start as clover kids. Sounds like they basically meet weekly for projects and stuff to start with. He was a chatterbox when he came home. Had fun with it

They start out with making popsicle stick bullshit and move up from there. I said to the barracuda, it is more time consuming than having a kid in hockey.

Was told to shut up, and run with it! It worked out great!