Hazelnut

bueller

In continuing the hazelnut conversation from the former habitat-talk forum, they are very drought tolerant when established. We experienced a terrible drought in 2012 which killed many many trees and shrubs in our sandy ground. Our native hazelnuts took a hit but they all survived. Survival pics were taken in July of 2013.

101_0102.JPG

IMG_20130712_105551_833.jpg

101_0101.JPG

IMG_20130712_105425_196.jpg

I definately agree with the drought tolerance. I am on very sandy soil as well and hazelnuts are the only thing that has put on much growth the last couple years with the droughts.

:confused: We had those things everywhere on our old place in Juneau Co. thing is I have never seen a nut on them. What gives?

The squirrels and bear tear the nuts apart before they get a chance to get ripe. Part of the reason I have never gotten to chance to see if deer eat them.

I may put a camera on a stand of them later this year to see who gets all the nuts

Mine had catkins last friday.

I had one cluster one time actually make it long enough to dry out and I picked it and tried it myself. They were pretty good just a lot of work for very little. We don't have much for bear here, but I have a lot of Hazelnuts that are there one day and gone the next. I think the camera option is a good idea to figure out if the deer eat many of them or if it's the squirrels. The deer do seem to browse the bush on place pretty regular, I had to cage them until they got big enough to hold there own.

wiscwhip...same deal with ours in Juneau Cty. I decided the shrubs were able to survive the lack of soil moisture, but the nuts would be aborted every year. Pretty much the same deal with the blackberries there...plenty of canes, plenty of blossoms...no fruit. Here where I have better soil, the hazels and wild berries do very well in mast production

I see nuts on ours every year but they go from almost ripe one week to gone the next. Camera definitely going up this year to find out what's going on :):)

Could 3-4 inches of wood chips help them get through a dry spell in the sand?

Any recommendations on where to buy some trees to start a little grove of hazelnuts? I have found a couple sources, but they are pretty pricey!

Any recommendations on where to buy some trees to start a little grove of hazelnuts? I have found a couple sources, but they are pretty pricey!

I have lots of natural hazel nut. Grow like crazy by me. I would think you could start them from seed quite readily? Anyone done this? I could send you a bunch of nuts in late summer.....if the bears don't beat me too them.