Hack and Squirt all around mix and translocation risk

^^^^^^^^ 20%Remedy( triclopyr)/80% diesel in a backpack sprayer and you are a sweetgum assassin.......
I was told by a certified forester here that Garlon is made in 2 formulations - one you mix with diesel, the other with water. I don't know if generic triclopyr is also made in 2 formulations.

Use the Harper cocktail mixed in order. I've used it for three years with no translocation. I have noticed if I oversprayed and the mix touches the ground, it will kill vegetation on the ground. So be sure not to overspray. Make your girdle cut at a safe height well above ground level, overspray, if any, will stay on bark this way. Do your research on proper chainsaw use and watch your footing around trees. Make sure your spray bottle is set up to spray properly. Don't spray with rain in the upcoming forecast.

Once the sap starts running this method is much less effective if not ineffective. I have found I can girdle even small trees much faster than hack and squirting. If you accidentally cut off small trees trying to girdle you can spray the "cut stump" with harper mix and it will terminate tree, just remember that you want the herbicide to contact outer areas of cut.

Use the Harper cocktail mixed in order. I've used it for three years with no translocation. I have noticed if I oversprayed and the mix touches the ground, it will kill vegetation on the ground. So be sure not to overspray. Make your girdle cut at a safe height well above ground level, overspray, if any, will stay on bark this way. Do your research on proper chainsaw use and watch your footing around trees. Make sure your spray bottle is set up to spray properly. Don't spray with rain in the upcoming forecast.

Once the sap starts running this method is much less effective if not ineffective. I have found I can girdle even small trees much faster than hack and squirting. If you accidentally cut off small trees trying to girdle you can spray the "cut stump" with harper mix and it will terminate tree, just remember that you want the herbicide to contact outer areas of cut.
Thank you. I ordered the items for the Harper mix and awaiting arrival.
You mentioned that you girdle- do you now do that instead of hack and squirt? If so can you explain why- or if you do some of each could you share the reasons for that choice- this is exactly what I’m trying to decide on?
I understand you spray stumps of felled small trees but I’m talking about in general girdle vs h/s

Hack and squirt works best on smaller trees 12” and less on larger trees it’s simply easier to ring them with a chainsaw than hack at them. I typically use a boys axe not a hatchet and even with that some species are just easier to ring with a saw.

Other than stump sprouts- is there a reason to not just girdle everything

Could girdle everything I imagine. Most of the time I’m hack and squirting honey locust and I simply do not want any regeneration of those nasty trees shame to the deer love the pods but the thorns and aggressive regeneration of those trees has me killing them every chance I get.

Thank you. I ordered the items for the Harper mix and awaiting arrival.
You mentioned that you girdle- do you now do that instead of hack and squirt? If so can you explain why- or if you do some of each could you share the reasons for that choice- this is exactly what I’m trying to decide on?
I understand you spray stumps of felled small trees but I’m talking about in general girdle vs h/s
I think what @GoldenTriangleIL was saying, was he uses "girdle and spray" instead of "hack and spray". I've seen Dr. Harper do this when he is using a combination of felling, hinge cutting, and girdle and spray. If he's moving through an area, he just uses the chainsaw plus spray since he already has that with him.

If I'm not doing felling or hinge cutting in addition to hack and squirt, I'll just do hack and squirt because I can move faster and it's lighter.

Other than stump sprouts- is there a reason to not just girdle everything
If you girdle and spray the girdle cut, you won't get stump sprouts, the tree will die (unless there was too much sap "pushing" when you cut). I have only used this method when trees are dormant. My understanding is that it works from late summer through late winter. Some trees I want to stump sprout for the browse and cover it provides, so I fell or hinge those. I typically hinge elms, silver maples, and hickories when it makes sense. I've had a nagging triceps injury for the past few years, so I don't want to swing a hatchet as much as hack and squirt requires. I know you have to have a cut every so many inches so there is an opportunity for failure, with girdling there is no concern. If you had a lot of small trees that only required a couple hatchet swings, that would be efficient work. A smaller electric chainsaw works great for girdling small trees. If you're planning on cutting trees this time of year, I applaud your ambition as it is a miserable time to be cutting trees with the heat and insects. Drink a lot of liquids. I personally wouldn't run a chainsaw for a long period time in the summer with chainsaw gear on, that's a heat stroke waiting to happen.