Habitat / Outdoor Working Clothes

Man I would be in love with my Duluth firehose bibs if it were for the elastic shoulder straps. They never stay in one place and need constant adjusting. I got tired of it and used duct tape to tape them in place so now they don’t move. Other than that they are my year round go-to for any heavy duty outdoor work. Anyone know if they’ve fixed this issue in the last couple years or so?

I always keep looking for better work cloths when I am out on the property. I recently purchased some XPRT® Tactical pants from 5.11 Tactical. Very impressed so far. Tough kevlar/cordura material mix, water resistant, and lots of pockets with several up front large enough for big cell phones. Have been comfortable so far in warm weather. The other nice feature is built in removeable knee pads ... great on these old knees!

Definitely white painter pants, I like my Carhartts. Sure, they are gonna get dirty and stained, but who cares...they are work pants.
White pants are so much cooler in hot temps and ticks show up better on them.
White, or light colored t shirts, and a white hat. Wearing dark stuff...blue jeans, etc, makes it feel 10 degrees hotter.
I like synthetic briefs, too. Cotton undies are the worst when sweating.
The white painters pants I’ll have try that one for ticks alone it would be worth it at least this year. This is worst year for ticks locally I can remember.

For cold weather or brush work I wear Carhartt double front work pants. For warmer weather work pants I wear First Lite corrugate guide pants. They’re not cheap but they’re awesome to ove around in and you don’t overheat. I spray all of my work clothes, including socks, hats, and boots, once a month with permethrin too.

The white painters pants I’ll have try that one for ticks alone it would be worth it at least this year. This is worst year for ticks locally I can remember.
Amen to that

I am still boycotting Carhartt, any new outdoor clothes I have been buying Duluth Trading company. They are a lot better quality then Carhartts, and not much more money. And they fit a lot better as well.

When my casual tan kaki pants get a bit worn......my wife puts an "X" on the inside waist band and they become my work clothes. I keep a plastic "closet" in the garage with light colored old clothing and its all been treated with tick repellent. Nice to have dedicated socks and clothing for the deer land. Mostly I like the lightweight loose fitting....and light colored stuff in the summer. Also have dedicated work shorts that are just worn casual wear. Never seem to need to buy new.....just wear old stuff until it becomes disposable. Sometimes I keep favorite stuff a little too long....grin.

All the technical Sitka/kuiu type stuff I got for western hunts made me want to buy solid color versions for outdoor activities.

My go to pants are Sitka ascent pants. They are a very lightweight stretchy nylon that breathe very well. Lightweight button up long sleeve collared backpacking shirts or fishing shirts are nice to protect from sun and breathe well. These are my favorite https://www.outdoorresearch.com/us/mens-astroman-ls-sun-shirt-282281 got a couple for work but once they get a little worn they become chore shirts. Not the most durable thing but I don’t care if they get ratty for chores.

I found some new (i think) style of Wranglers at Menards. They are the exact same material as my Kuiu light weight hunting pants. Come in gray or drab green or khaki. They were on like 40 bucks or so. Fairly durable and like someone above said, if they get wet, they dry within minutes. Cheap alternative for a light weight work pant for summer. Much cooler than my usual denim or Duluth pants.

Kinda falling in love with the new stretch fabrics.....especially for pants. Been wearing some of them for casual wear. Been thinking...."where have these been all my life"? Anyway......gotta think it's time to find a deal on some more of these pants.....and use 'em for "farm chores".

Kinda falling in love with the new stretch fabrics.....especially for pants. Been wearing some of them for casual wear. Been thinking...."where have these been all my life"? Anyway......gotta think it's time to find a deal on some more of these pants.....and use 'em for "farm chores".
I tried a pair of the stretchy jeans last fall, things just didn’t feel right to me in those pants.

So...I'm not gonna lie...Costco and Sam's have recently had some great gear for outdoor clothes / work clothes. For the winter, they've had some Coleman insulated pants with a carhart type exterior for $15 or $20. For summer, they've had some polyester lightweight hiking type pants for the same price. I've loaded up and spent less than $100. Although, my work clothes now may look better than my everyday wear clothes :)

Things must be a little different in the north, down here in Alabama snakes are a real issue. I never walk around without snake boots on. I see snakes all the time, including rattlesnakes. I killed one last year on the property, and my wife’s aunt was bitten on the property many years ago before I bought it.

Things must be a little different in the north, down here in Alabama snakes are a real issue. I never walk around without snake boots on. I see snakes all the time, including rattlesnakes. I killed one last year on the property, and my wife’s aunt was bitten on the property many years ago before I bought it.

Yep, definitely different. Only bites of concern up here are ticks, mosquitos, and horse flies. I've lived/worked around the country and it took a while to get used to there actually being a risk of being bitten by something poisonous in the southern and western locales.

Copperheads are ubiquitous in east texas

.......as are their short, stubby,ugly ass,ill tempered cotton mouth cousins

bill

In Kansas I have killed several Copperhead on my place my coworker has killed several Rattlesnakes we live maybe 15 miles apart. I have never seen either out at the farm go figure.

I am still boycotting Carhartt, any new outdoor clothes I have been buying Duluth Trading company. They are a lot better quality then Carhartts, and not much more money. And they fit a lot better as well.

Can I ask why the boycott of Carhartt? I am unfamiliar with this one.

Forced layoffs for employees who wouldnt take the jab.
Responsible more...I'll buy more... :emoji_smile:

But seriously, DIck's did the foot-in-mouth for sportsmen a few years ago with a firearm decision. I was sure they did that for marketing and were separating their consumptive and non-consumptive sports into two different stores, Dick's and Field and Stream. The would just have Dick's in the urban areas, both in more rural area. Well, it is worse than that. They just converted their Field and Stream store a Public Lands store. Looks like they won't be carrying much to boycott for us for long....

So you support a company that supports a required experimental shot that doesn’t work?