Habitat / Outdoor Working Clothes

One more tip on Poison Ivy prevention. After working in the field, I shower using Dawn dish soap. It is a powerful degreaser that is a solvent for the poison ivy oil. Outbreak duration and severity is related to the amount of time you are in contact with the oil along with other factors.

I know I’m the only person in the neighborhood that wears shorts and tee shirt on a tractor. Well until my neighbor sold to a guy from Florida. Now there are 2 of us. I spray my slip on shoes, socks, legs, shorts and shirt with permitrin and go. Today was a 3 cotton tee shirt day.

This thread made me realize I’m an idiot :). I have HUK fishing shirts at home but none at the farm. There cool and they dry out fast. On the boat I wear a long sleeve HUK because it keeps the sunburn away.

You wear a shirt on the tractor? :emoji_grin:

One more tip on Poison Ivy prevention. After working in the field, I shower using Dawn dish soap. It is a powerful degreaser that is a solvent for the poison ivy oil. Outbreak duration and severity is related to the amount of time you are in contact with the oil along with other factors.
Dawn is what I use to prevent AND TREAT poison ivy rash.
Ive used Dawn for years on PI with great results. Wash with it after exposure and break outs are minimized..
If you do begin to get a rash, wash the area several times a day and it is usually gone in a day or 2.
I also use Dawn as an ointment on the rash. Just rub it on and dont rinse it off. The itch goes away almost immediately and the rash heals really quickly.
I was weed wacking and into ivy a couple weeks ago and started to break out...Dawn fixed it in a matter of hours.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

So what are you going with in regards to boots?!

I like a pair of cheap rubber boots from the local fleet shop and a pair of Dr Scholls gel insole for a little extra comfort on my land, especially in early spring and summer. Nice to tuck your pants in them up in tick country. I also routinely walk through a couple low spots on my trails and really like to have them on. It can be really sloppy in the spring, but its my favoirte time to do any work up there.

IMG_2558.JPG

Knee length denim cargo shorts, t shirt, and snake boots. After mid March I won’t even hardly step off the porch without snake boots. I bathe/change when I come out for lunch, rinse in the creek in between, and bathe again at the end of the day while checking for ticks and to wash off any incidental ivy contact. Chaps when I’m running a saw.

Even dressing light I can wring my clothes out like i just climbed out of the ocean after an hour or 2. And they’ll stand up on their own once they dry. Just no way around it.

The firehose pants are expensive my buddy at work turned me on to them all he wears at work I think the last set he ripped were 5 years old. That’s wearing them at least once a week cutting welding and grinding in them.... the fire hose flex is where it’s at

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am trying a pair right now, and yes, I agree. So far, so good. Really like them.

Another vote for the Duluth firehouse flex. I have 6 pair now. Two of them are fleece lined for the winter. You don't even need long underwear with them. They are almost indestructible. I wear the regular firehouse pants to work now, but I bought my first pair for mushroom picking. I'm able to walk right thru raspberries and other types of thorns without a worry. They are by far the best pants I ever had.

I'm a big fan of Prana Zion pants. Lightweight, they flex, very tough and are breathable. I use them for habitat work and as my primary Elk hunting pants. Its a hippe yoga brand, but haven't found a better pair for the mentioned benefits.... I keep one pair dedicated for habitat work and always have them treated with permethrin.

Another vote for Duluth Trading Companies Firehose pants. I dont wear them as much as I should, mostly because I rarely plan to go into the thickets, I just randomly end up there, then wished I had them on.

I wish I had enough courage to wear shorts. Too many briars and I hate chiggers so it’s always long pants and permethrin for me. In response to the boot question - I wear a pair of loggers boots with a composite toe - it seems there’s always a tree down somewhere and I Almost always have my chaps and saw with me just in case. I promise my wife to always use appropriate equipment for safety.

Another vote for Duluth Trading Companies Firehose pants. I dont wear them as much as I should, mostly because I rarely plan to go into the thickets, I just randomly end up there, then wished I had them on.

headed over to website now to check it out.........

bill

Just got some firehose coolmax in the mail after seeing this thread. Wow they are nice. Worth the money.

Expensive stuff, but they seem to have more reasonable prices during holiday sales.

Get on their email list, and they will send out sales, and closeouts. Usually the closeouts are in non popular sizes, but if you are an unpopular size, you can get a great deal!

Get on their email list, and they will send out sales, and closeouts. Usually the closeouts are in non popular sizes, but if you are an unpopular size, you can get a great deal!

I'd like to get off their email list. Buy something and your on it!

I've always looked for something similar in design and construction to the old Army rip-stop BDU's I wore in the military. I've been using Carhartt's Force Tappen cargo pant for the past 5 or 6 years. Recently I've been trying some of the Duluth Trading work pants, but man they're expensive.
489EF6DB-692F-44C4-A932-C0BDEEC129F5.jpeg
Duluth firehose pants saved my leg once when I got lazy and left the chaps behind. Completely stopped the chain on the saw when all the material bound up.

Very fortunate!

Reactions: Rit
I pretty much wear the same thing 6 days a week, jeans, tee shirt, trucker style/mesh back baseball cap, and my vasque boots.

I do hate it when I'm all wet from walking weeds, but don't do it often enough to make another purchase worthwhile to me.

Did spend some money on KUIU clothes for me elk hunt this fall. Wore the jacket in the rain early this week and I understand the draw.
It did a wonderful job diverting rain from my shoulders and back to my jeans :D

This time of year whatever is thin and lightweight sprayed with permethrin - deep woods off on exposed skin because it's hot and muggy and buggy, the cooler I can stay the longer I will stay at it. During cold months Carhart brush pants