Habitat out loud

Nice pics........but what kinda tape measure have you got there. Is that one for folks that can't count over 12? grin. (not sure I've ever seen a tape like that)
That's my 100' tape that I used to use for measuring roofs back when I was a big deal. I've been cleaning my garage this fall, and I couldn't find my regular tape measure (despite the garage being 100% clean and organized) so I had to use that one.

That's my 100' tape that I used to use for measuring roofs back when I was a big deal. I've been cleaning my garage this fall, and I couldn't find my regular tape measure (despite the garage being 100% clean and organized) so I had to use that one.
Don’t you hate when you organize then you can’t find anything? Happens to me a lot!

Gotcha. Now that you say this ^ .....I have a tape like that too (in fact two of 'em). When working in real long lengths.....inches don't relate the same as feet and inches.

Finally got to see some deer in the daylight. It's been a very slow October thanks to the acorn boom. I sat for 4 days and didn't see a deer this weekend. Tonight, they finally got with the program, and I had 8 different deer come through. No antlers, but at least some action. The snow was nice to hunt in, hell to drive back to town.

Always look forward to hearing what you choose for the soundtrack

If you turn the music down a bit more deer light show??
Gotta have the dance music playing for when the fellas show up.

Maybe put a small stage and a pole in the center of your food plot?

Finally got to see some deer in the daylight. It's been a very slow October thanks to the acorn boom. I sat for 4 days and didn't see a deer this weekend. Tonight, they finally got with the program, and I had 8 different deer come through. No antlers, but at least some action. The snow was nice to hunt in, hell to drive back to town.

I get pissy when I don't see a deer on a single sit. Can't imagine going 4 days w/o a sighting. I liked the doe climbing the spoils pile. Queen of the hill. I enjoy watching the deer eat what I put out there though, even if its just does and fawns.

I get pissy when I don't see a deer on a single sit. Can't imagine going 4 days w/o a sighting. I liked the doe climbing the spoils pile. Queen of the hill. I enjoy watching the deer eat what I put out there though, even if its just does and fawns.
There have been back to back enormous crops of acorns. I can't believe I'm saying this, but hopefully they have it out of their system for a few years now. I don't mind the deer getting some bonus food, but this was ridiculous. I also am looking at a few thousand acres of logged federal land within a mile of me that is gonna be putting out lots of browse the next couple years. It's going to be a challenge to keep the deer around when I want them there.

Those are some healthy looking does. I'm surprised you didn't sent an arrow so you could fill up the cupboard with canned venison. The acorn crop on my Rusk County place was also crazy. I've never seen anything like it and the deer are in great shape because of those calories. It sure makes hunting difficult though.

Same here on acorns. I’ve collected 100s and I’m gonna try the acorn growing thing.

And I have found it makes the hunting easy “if” you are willing to leave your comfy blind and sit in a tree in woods near a white oak. Ha. Something I’m rarely willing to do

Same here on acorns. I’ve collected 100s and I’m gonna try the acorn growing thing.

And I have found it makes the hunting easy “if” you are willing to leave your comfy blind and sit in a tree in woods near a white oak. Ha. Something I’m rarely willing to do

With a saddle!

Those are some healthy looking does. I'm surprised you didn't sent an arrow so you could fill up the cupboard with canned venison. The acorn crop on my Rusk County place was also crazy. I've never seen anything like it and the deer are in great shape because of those calories. It sure makes hunting difficult though.
If it was on the other side of my property, and not the night I had to leave, I would have. That corner is the center of the flat earth as far as my gun hunt is concerned. There will/should be 2-6 deer out there every sit, and the bucks have been running right up to the edge of that plot looking for closing time girls. I wanted to keep that surprise factor in place, and not have to be potentially going into the no-go area to retrieve a fawn. I still have a thing about shooting a doe with fawns around me.

That being said, I think I've got 4 does and 6 fawns going through there, that is if their bedding areas aren't changing too much from day to day. I also have 3-4 unique bucks so far. I'm pretty anxious to pull the cams around the cabin to see what has shown up this week as the party gets started.

I'm throwing in the towel on this deer season. We clearly don't need to lighten the load on the native food supply. I have brassicas in my plots that have barely been touched. The alfalfa has barely been touched. I've got deer, I've seen them on camera at night around the cabin. They just do not want to show during the daylight, and I've had my fill of not seeing deer. I'm going to get the timbering equipment out and get to work this weekend. I've got 5 days to go like hell and get as much cutting done as I can handle. It's a big list this year:

*Make firewood for next season
*Make shooting lanes and locations for new and added blind locations next year. (Need more low impact spots for my family to hunt or they're gonna quit altogether)
*Clean up obstacles on trails
*Source wood-fill for 2 new garden beds this spring
*Eyeball potential food plot expansion for my north plot complex
*Take out a few more trees for trail straightening
*Get another half or full acre cut down in my sanctuary. It's only 8 acres, and once I'm done in there, I'll start working on my west line. and take out all of that.

It's crazy how small a sanctuary can be on a 40 when you subtract the outer 100 yards of your square. I thought it was 12 acres, it's actually 8. I'll eventually do the western 100 yard section outside the sanctuary when I'm done with the original 8. I wanna tear off a chunk and see how fast it regens. I don't want to invite line sitters to be able to view right into my property.

That brings back memories. Here I am trying to ADD trees to my place. I remember long days with a chainsaw up North. Your brush piles are very symmetrical and neat. That was a ton of work you got done SD. As always, I'm glad you brought back the goalie mask / machete guy.

That brings back memories. Here I am trying to ADD trees to my place. I remember long days with a chainsaw up North. Your brush piles are very symmetrical and neat. That was a ton of work you got done SD. As always, I'm glad you brought back the goalie mask / machete guy.
I'm learning as I go. I did a cut like this right next to this one two years ago. The response was quick and very good. The slough grass came back in a hurry and became great cover quickly. The grouse love it in there, and the deer highly preferred moving through that, than on my trails. The tag alder comes back at least 6' and with 5x the stems that I cut down. The place I messed up two years ago was just going like hell and getting brush on the ground. I didn't leave any room to go back and plant in any conifers.

This time, I wanted to keep it cleaner so I have room to plant more conifers, have bigger and more strategic brush piles, and space out the brush piles so there are no fatal funnels. I've seen hard to establish natives come up in these brush piles, and those piles keep the deer off for a year or two. I've brought jewelweed back to my property when I had previously thought it was never there.

Doing it by hand was a mountain of work, but I'd rather do that than go to a gym or lift weights. Harvesting the ash for firewood really slowed down progress, but it was necessary. My neighbor is very grateful to get it, and he's gonna help me spray paint the inside of the cabin in the spring. That pic of the ash logs with the saw on it wasn't even in that cut area. That was just what I took down to make one shooting lane for a new stand location. I'm keeping that pile. That's my firewood for 2025.