Habitat out loud

Should I throw some hairy vetch in my brush piles to eat them?

Should I throw some hairy vetch in my brush piles to eat them?

Would be fun to watch.... C:N in real time

Hairy vetch climbs(almost vines up) tree cages and anything it can reach at my place

bill

Never planted any vetch. Understand it can be hard to control and invasive. Do you really want that?

Never planted any vetch. Understand it can be hard to control and invasive. Do you really want that?

Id never put hairy vetch In a plot again. I tried once so far to get it going in the woods and haven’t seen a single plant come. Should get a few pounds and try again. Wonderful for biomass, vining, and a long bloom period.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Should make a nice cover over a brush pile.

Do you think that you could accomplish the same goal with your yellow sweet clover?

I’m not sure. I’m still learning the sweet clover. This season will show how persistent it is and how much rye I got out of it. I added rye at mow time, near certain I didn’t add any more sweet clover.

The vetch in the woods is just a wild $20 idea for the bees.

This last gasp of winter is starting to get on my nerves. I've got shit to do, and i'm getting itchy to get to doin'.

This last gasp of winter is starting to get on my nerves. I've got shit to do, and i'm getting itchy to get to doin'.

That's why early false springs are so annoying. People start to think winter is over ... wrong! Still March, lots of potential winter surprises. I did get 2 acres of clover frost seeded yesterday right before the rain came so I was happy with that.

It’s finally time to do something this weekend. The thaw is on again, and that means it’s time to spread my clover plot topper cold season blend. This year:

Barley
Flax
Jap millet
Collards

I’ve gotta get that herd seeder in action finally or @Foggy47 is gonna hang me.

I've got to get ahold of my local seed guy and get some barley ready for pickup on friday. Then friday night I'll be out in the shop getting the seeder ready to roll. Gonna have to go early saturday morning to beat the mud. Then I'll have to do some property patrolling over the weekend to chase the turkeys away until that stuff germinates. It should go quickly with the heat and melting snow. Sounds like the snow is about gone in the open areas now.

weat.PNG

It’s finally time to do something this weekend. The thaw is on again, and that means it’s time to spread my clover plot topper cold season blend. This year:

Barley
Flax
Jap millet
Collards

I’ve gotta get that herd seeder in action finally or @Foggy47 is gonna hang me.

Dont forget to get some pics. Good luck.

Edit: I'm still hanging out in OZ until May 8th. With my drill......I have seeded last fall. I put in a mix of red and white clover, 120#/acre winter rye, and yellow sweet clover among other things. With my plan......there is nothing to do until July .....unless I need to spray some weeds in May / June. Kinda liking the drill and planting rotation I have going. No rush to do anything in Spring......FORE! (I did take 3rd place in a golf tourney today.....(shoulda done better....but I was a bit sick) and also won some skins money. Fun).

Last edited:
Dont forget to get some pics. Good luck.

Edit: I'm still hanging out in OZ until May 8th. With my drill......I have seeded last fall. I put in a mix of red and white clover, 120#/acre winter rye, and yellow sweet clover among other things. With my plan......there is nothing to do until July .....unless I need to spray some weeds in May / June. Kinda liking the drill and planting rotation I have going. No rush to do anything in Spring......FORE! (I did take 3rd place in a golf tourney today.....(shoulda done better....but I was a bit sick) and also won some skins money. Fun).
I've been itching to make another habitat happening video. Lots on the agenda for this weekend, and I hope I can get it all working:

*Spread barley and other cool season plot topper seeds.
*Make the first dogwood exclusion fences. Beyond cages, I'm doing 8' x 8' squares to let my sentry dogwoods really stretch out.
*Move sentry dogwood cages to next dogwood clusters for protection.
*Trap mud minnows for the new pond.
*Haul buddy's firewood up to the road so we can get it off the property before mud season sets in.
*Start hauling new garden bed hugel fill up to the yard.
*Start disassembling the cabin in preparation for painting.

I even picked up some rooting powder in the event I can get some dogwood cuttings in the ground. I have been wanting to try a hole where all the native soil was taken out, and topsoil put back in, to get the weed seeds out and some bonus fertility in.

The habitat opener video is done. I've still got some work to do tomorrow, but this was the exciting stuff. A lot of what I did today was dogwood improvement. Stuff I had caged needed to have the cages pulled because the dogwood outgrew the cage. New areas got first cages, and where I pulled some cages, I tried to build much larger exclusion fences to see what these already big bushes can really do. One of the cages I aimed to pull had some dirt dumped on it when I was terraforming, and it's froze in for now. The last cage in the video had a very thick cluster of browsed native ROD. I'm anxious to watch that blow up. That will likely be the biggest bush on the property.

@Foggy47 the Herd seeder wasn't working. I've got a wire issue somewhere between the box and the motor. It got power from the battery fine, but wasn't getting power to the spinner.

What happened to the Herd?

What happened to the Herd?
Without taking it apart, I'm not sure. I'm going with wiring first and will look for a bad contact.

Thanks for sharing. What is that tall fencing you're using?

Thanks for sharing. What is that tall fencing you're using?

That is Tenax fencing. It’s a UV stabilized plastic fence. I get it off Amazon. I forgot to order 6’ for this project, so I used the 8’ I had.

If I could do it over again, I’d have all 6’ for the garden and these jumbo ROD exclosures.

That is Tenax fencing. It’s a UV stabilized plastic fence. I get it off Amazon. I forgot to order 6’ for this project, so I used the 8’ I had.

If I could do it over again, I’d have all 6’ for the garden and these jumbo ROD exclosures.

I have about 8 or 10 six foot high x 10' diameter wire panels (2x4') that I am giving away. My apple trees have outgrown the need. I wont give away the fence posts.....but the wire can be had for nothing if you help me take 'em down. "Some" fence posts could be had for 1/2 price of new ones but I want to keep a few. Could haul on a small trailer......or use mine for a week or so.

Would do it for a condensed go-pro video exchange of a property tour / cruise? lol.

Also have a box blind or two ? (trap doors) that I am planning to improve upon. (gotta ask my son in laws first) Good for someone a bit younger....but I will not / cannot use 'em anymore. Let's talk if your interested.

I have about 8 or 10 six foot high x 10' diameter wire panels (2x4') that I am giving away. My apple trees have outgrown the need. I wont give away the fence posts.....but the wire can be had for nothing if you help me take 'em down. "Some" fence posts could be had for 1/2 price of new ones but I want to keep a few. Could haul on a small trailer......or use mine for a week or so.

Would do it for a condensed go-pro video exchange of a property tour / cruise? lol.

Also have a box blind or two ? (trap doors) that I am planning to improve upon. (gotta ask my son in laws first) Good for someone a bit younger....but I will not / cannot use 'em anymore. Let's talk if your interested.

I’m in for this.