Habitat consultants

We utilized Land & Legacy (Adam Keith & Matt Dye). If / when someone asks, I highly recommend them. They are based here in SW Missouri. We have a very likeminded approach as they do (restoring things back to the native settings). If you listen to their podcast on Sportsman Nation, everything they talk about goes directly / specifically in a plan for you. This is what I liked about having them out. I knew what they were talking about, but now taking everything and specifically putting it towards our property. I know many folks think that using a consultant is a waste because you can learn what you need by reading these forums, listening to podcasts, and reading the books that have been written. And, I do agree that these provide tremendous value. However, I believe that a consultant is another tool in the toolbox, that provides a fresh set of eyes and perspective on your property.

Some things may jump out to them that we often overlook because we have other areas that jump out to us. I believe this is absolutely what happened with / for us. After they came and walked the property, wrote up our plan, talked with us, etc., there were a few "duh" moments that we completely overlooked. Also, as I've studied the mapping / plan, what they are doing makes complete sense on our property.

We've been working on the plan now for a year. One thing that I appreciate, is how they really try to maximize and use the whole property. Over the last year and hunting season, we did have our best season. Also, it felt like our property hunted "bigger" than previous years. Now, this is only after year 1...but, we have seen tangible results.

The plan included habitat work, as well as hunting strategy. Pricing was $1,000.00 for us, and well worth it.

Last edited:
I appreciate hearing about the value others saw in the mapped plans from Steve Bartylla’s crew. I could easily make more than a $600 mistake through trial and error so I am also considering their service for another set of ideas.

Has anyone used them since Steve sold the business? If so, what was your experience?

I have not used Jim Ward before....but I have visited properties he has done work on in the past. He used to put on a "field Day" in the Terre Haute, IN area every year. The nice thing about Jim is that he and his crew can/will do the work of the project if you wish. This is not real common as many folks will simply tell you what to do. Jim and his crew...DO IT! I know sometimes with a large project manpower or implementing a large project quickly can be an issue...

When I bought my property I was going to hire someone but ended up not doing it. I was leaning towards Jeff Sturgis as he is somewhat local to my property and was boots on the ground. Everyone I talked with liked what he did and would recommend him.

A friend of mine did hire Sturgis two years ago and liked the plan he got. I think he said he paid $1,500 but I believe he said Sturgis increased his fee closer to $2,500 for that size property.

Has any used Don Higgins? I see a lot of Steve and Jeff but no one that’s worked with Don. I’ve got a quote from him and will be reaching out to others, but does anyone have first hand experience with his consulting abilities/plans (regardless of what you think about his RWW seeds...)?

How much is Higgins? You can pm if you want.

How much is Higgins? You can pm if you want.
3,000 for a boots on the ground full plan...inclusive of travel and such.

I like Higgins philosophy. I also always thought Steve made lots of sense. Read Sturgis' book. Don't agree with much of it. Don't buy the doe factory. Reading his book may exclude or include him. Tough to read, though.

I feel consultants or even experienced friends can see things that we have missed.

I follow what Steve Bartylla writes and often question him electronically. Steve seems to know things in the types of habitat that I hunt. Heck, I just plain like the guy and his attitude as not a know it all.

I also have to acknowledge that Brooks is a personal friend of mine and we visit almost weekly. He and Steve have a few tricks up their sleeves that work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I feel consultants or even experienced friends can see things that we have missed.

I follow what Steve Bartylla writes and often question him electronically. Steve seems to know things in the types of habitat that I hunt. Heck, I just plain like the guy and his attitude as not a know it all.

I also have to acknowledge that Brooks is a personal friend of mine and we visit almost weekly. He and Steve have a few tricks up their sleeves that work.

I’ve already contacted Brooks to work on a plan. Seems like there are s lot of folks that have been happy with their service. From our conversation he seems like a pretty good guy.

I totally agree. I'm not sure if I would personally spend $1500 to hire a consultant on my small 30, but I can certainly see the benefit. Maybe in the future I'll be at a spot where I am ready to hire somebody.

Paying somebody to look at topos and satellite images of my land and give me advice without ever having set boots on the ground.....???? :emoji_thinking:

I totally agree. I'm not sure if I would personally spend $1500 to hire a consultant on my small 30, but I can certainly see the benefit. Maybe in the future I'll be at a spot where I am ready to hire somebody.

Paying somebody to look at topos and satellite images of my land and give me advice without ever having set boots on the ground.....???? :emoji_thinking:
I’m not sure I would do it for 30 acres. From speaking with some folks that have used the “remote” consultants it’s pretty interesting to hear the overwhelmingly positive feedback on their experience. If I’m going to make a 15-20k investment in sugnicant land improvements it’s just another peace of mind that I’m doing the right things (or tweaking what I’m planning based on things I may not have thought about). My initial reaction was much the same as yours initially.

I have never had a paid, private consultant look at my land - but I have had Federal and State Private Lands Biologists come out and take a look. They usually had some good ideas, but most of their recommendations would have been less than effective because they did not understand the dynamics of the property - adjacent landowner hunting pressure, flooding risk, predator numbers, adjacent property cover types, present wildlife populations, predator numbers, hog numbers - that kind of thing. For example, I have about 20 acres of what was fescue pasture when I bought the place. Every "biologist" who has seen it recommended establishing NWSG - to make bedding cover. I did. But, what they didn't realize, adjacent to my property is a 160 acre button brush swamp - so thick you literally cant walk through it, a 120 acre two year old clear cut, and a 100 acre 8 year old clear cut. Bedding cover abounds in this area. Deer do not bed, that I have ever seen, in the NWSG. I have never found a bed in it. I began planting 12 acres of food plots in the 20 acre opening, and deer have swarmed it. That area is now the kitchen for the local deer herd. Previous to planting the large area, I had multiple one and two acre food plots scattered around the property. General consensus in the south is that deer don't really need food plots to get them through the winter. That is true, but they will still come to easy food - and I want deer coming to my ground from all that surrounding bedding area. I am going to try to beat the remaining NWSG back so there is at least some type of plant variety in that area now.

Try Jake Ehlinger of Habitat Solutions 360 out of Addison MI

. I am going to try to beat the remaining NWSG back so there is at least some type of plant variety in that area now.[/QUOTE]

i would love to have this problem

bill

Well that sucks in many ways, but its nice that you got the head before it turned into mouse and squirrel turds -- thats a small plus anyways, cool find!

Ouch.

Ouch, lots of natural mortality in the deer woods especially when you have some mature deer. Glad you found him

Rarely post but feel like I owe the forum at least one.

I’ve been in the habitat game for over 15 years and have read every relative book, forum post and video I can get my eyes on. Have worked with and for a couple big game biologists, went to TLs camp (money well spent) but couldn’t foot the bill to have him out. Have spoke to a couple of the names mentioned in this thread but had decided to pull the trigger on Steve Bartylla’s map eval when it first was offered 5ish years ago. Like the others we had a length phone conversation including discussion of what my goals and limits were. I had some time, lots of drive but limited food and budget. The next yr I killed my biggest/oldest buck. Upped that again this last year and have had a couple of great bucks go down in that middle of that. The $4-500 spent was a bargain. I had a couple of concerns w the plan and a new farmer take over some of the Ag after the plan was revised- Steve emailed or called with my questions. I was nervous because he is a Midwest guy with great bucks discussed on TV and in words; What would be know about high pressure NY? He figured it out and made it seem so simple it was clear he has a talent/ability most do not. Great dude and would recommend anything he does as a result of my experience. I’ve spoke with Brooks but believe Joe Bartylla may now have the business.