Growing Chestnuts from Seed

2ndHand

5 year old buck +
Most of the Dunstan chestnut seeds I purchased from Chestnut Ridge have started to sprout. Here's a photo of a group that I hope to plant in early May.

Chestnut.jpg

That is some high density seeding!:D I noticed my first chestnut is just sending up a top shoot. I am excited to see how well they do in my climate.

That is some high density seeding!:D I noticed my first chestnut is just sending up a top shoot. I am excited to see how well they do in my climate.

Yep, ran out of trays, thought this tub would work good with transporting seedlings via ATV when planting.

Why did you choose to plant them in that container? I was presented with the same issue by a member on a different forum. He only had a 4-wheeler with no trailer to get back in. I came up with the idea of taking a large potting mix bag and made 6 slits by 10 slits and fit 60 to a bag. I made 3 slits length wise to allow for drainage on the bottom of the bag. They are doing exceptionally well considering I am not giving them much care.

With 2 guys each hold one side of the bag and under neath for support there shouldn't be any tearing of the tender roots. We are going to throw them on the front rack of his atv and drive them back in the woods.

Why did you choose to plant them in that container? .

Primary reason was that I ran out of trays and had a couple of these tubs available and thought they would be handy for transporting the nuts to where I was going to plant them this spring. I was hoping they would only start to develop a root reticle and not start to sprout leaves prior to planting. I also have 6 - 18 cell trays with chestnuts (currently growing in my basement).

Here's a picture of some of the other chestnuts that I have removed from the tray:

Dunstan-4-15-14.jpg

I looked at Chestnut Ridges website. They seem to focus on the consumer market and I didn't see anywhere where they stated if their chestnuts where Dunstan or some other variety. Did you talk to them and ask what kind of trees they had?

I looked at Chestnut Ridges website. They seem to focus on the consumer market and I didn't see anywhere where they stated if their chestnuts where Dunstan or some other variety. Did you talk to them and ask what kind of trees they had?

Hello Kabic, Here's a page from Chestnut Ridge's website that identifies the nuts as Dunstan (this is the size and quantity that I bought): http://chestnutridgeofpikecounty.com/5lexlach.html

Thanks, mostly I was just curious.

Was there a particular reason you were looking for "Dunstan" verses other chestnut types?

I'm not sure, do you guys and gals think the Dunstan chestnut is better than other American cross breeds, or does it just have a better marketing effort ( similar to what some would say Angus Beef has compared to "normal beef" )

Replanted a few of the larger Chestnut seedling growing in my basement for placement outside on the patio (I removed the nuts, hopefully the squirrels will stay away). I'm going to keep these at my home over the summer. Here's a few photo's:

D.chestnut2-4-27-14.jpg remove nut.jpg

nut removed.jpg D.Chestnut4-27-14.jpg

What kind of potting mix are you using for your chestnuts?

What kind of potting mix are you using for your chestnuts?
I used Pro mix for the initial cells. For the ones I have replanted on my patio, I used a combination of peat moss, black dirt and manure that I purchased from Menards, plus I added some Osmocote time release fertilizer.

Looking good! Mine are kinda stunted after moving them outside. Hope they do ok:(

Looking good! Mine are kinda stunted after moving them outside. Hope they do ok:(

Thanks! - Mine got hammered with the strong winds earlier in the week. I'm sure yours will be fine, just need a little time to acclimate...;)

All of your pictures of your chestnuts growing have infected me. I will soon have a small number of nuts coming my way to experiment with.

All of your pictures of your chestnuts growing have infected me. I will soon have a small number of nuts coming my way to experiment with.

Kabic, That's the same way I looked at it too, as an experiment...I've learned a lot and have enjoyed the process... ;) I am hoping to plant all the nuts that I have in the round tub tomorrow (photo posted above). Going to use a tulip bulb planter, add some black dirt, 3x3 lumite mat, and then a 5 ft. Miracle Tube w/ 1/2 electrical conduit for stake. I'll post a few pictures when I return.

Good luck with your experiment Kabic!

Question: How big does a seedling need to be before you can remove the nut? Thanks!

Another question: Will a Dunstan Chestnut pollinate a Chinese Chestnut or vise versa? Thanks!

Another question: Will a Dunstan Chestnut pollinate a Chinese Chestnut or vise versa? Thanks!
All chestnut trees will pollinate each other.

All chestnut trees will pollinate each other.

Thank you! Last year I planted 15 Chinese chestnuts, wasn't sure if it was going to be helpful if I planted the Dunstan's nearby.