Growing Chestnuts from Seed

This weekend I checked out all the Chinese Chestnuts that I planted last fall. All are still alive, but many had die-back. Most of the trees were in the 4 ft. range when planted, about the top foot died on most. Not sure, but the die-back may have been caused by me placing them in tubes in October. I pulled the tube and crushed the old leaves to improve air flow, then replaced the tubes. Next trip, I am going to remove the tubes on about 4 of them and install a welded wire cage with stake. I'll post some pictures once I get a new camera.
2ndHand, Did you plant all your chestnut seedlings you grew from seeds already or do you still have some in pots? The reason I'm asking is I started a pound of seed this spring I bought from Empire Chestnuts and it was a mix of Seguin chestnut, Chinese chestnut, and Allegheny chinkapin. I have planted most of them but I still have a dozen or so that I wanted to baby this summer and plant this fall. When would you plant them this fall? Thanks

2ndHand, Did you plant all your chestnut seedlings you grew from seeds already or do you still have some in pots? The reason I'm asking is I started a pound of seed this spring I bought from Empire Chestnuts and it was a mix of Seguin chestnut, Chinese chestnut, and Allegheny chinkapin. I have planted most of them but I still have a dozen or so that I wanted to baby this summer and plant this fall. When would you plant them this fall? Thanks

Hey Scott, Your trees look good!! I still have about a 40 at home in pots - the first 20 I potted got hammered by squirrels, but are starting do well now (one less squirrel thanks to my trustee BB gun). Last year I planted in October - the fall was dry and I live 2 plus hours from my farm. This year I have been using some of the remaining ones to replace those that didn't make it from this springs planting. This is my first year with Dunstan's so I am going on what I have read on the various forums. I am hoping to be able to get these in the ground a little sooner this year (depending on the weather). Are you using tree tubes or wire cages? Thanks!

Hey Scott, Your trees look good!! I still have about a 40 at home in pots - the first 20 I potted got hammered by squirrels, but are starting do well now (one less squirrel thanks to my trustee BB gun). Last year I planted in October - the fall was dry and I live 2 plus hours from my farm. This year I have been using some of the remaining ones to replace those that didn't make it from this springs planting. This is my first year with Dunstan's so I am going on what I have read on the various forums. I am hoping to be able to get these in the ground a little sooner this year (depending on the weather). Are you using tree tubes or wire cages? Thanks!
Right now I have them both tubed and in wire cages, the more I read the more I think cages are the way to go. I can't tell you for sure which is better because this is my first attempt at chestnuts so I will know in a couple years. Last fall I planted 25 American Chestnut seedlings and did the same, tubed some and caged the rest and I lost 75% of them and the ones that lived had die back. Neither tubed or caged seemed to fair better.

This one was caged, it's alive but lost the top half.

Right now I have them both tubed and in wire cages, the more I read the more I think cages are the way to go. I can't tell you for sure which is better because this is my first attempt at chestnuts so I will know in a couple years. Last fall I planted 25 American Chestnut seedlings and did the same, tubed some and caged the rest and I lost 75% of them and the ones that lived had die back. Neither tubed or caged seemed to fair better.

It will be interesting to see how the trees fare this coming winter. I have a few American Chestnut that are in their second year in my backyard - not too developed (less than 4 ft - they get more shade than direct sun), but they didn't have any die back over the last two years. I am going to move them to the farm this fall. Best of luck!

I transplanted my chestnuts to 6 gallon and 5 gallon buckets. I'm going to see how "air pruning" and "gutter gardening" works with chestnuts. I didn't implement the self watering aspect of the gutter garden, because I thought that may be too much water. I wanted them to dry out between waterings and that wouldn't happen with self watering via a float valve. Plus with eleven buckets the buckets are already hanging off both edges of the 10' gutter and I didn't want to sacrifice a space to make room for the float valve.

IMG_20140708_142815_104_zps16jlkqlb.jpg

I transplanted my chestnuts to 6 gallon and 5 gallon buckets. I'm going to see how "air pruning" and "gutter gardening" works with chestnuts. I didn't implement the self watering aspect of the gutter garden, because I thought that may be too much water. I wanted them to dry out between waterings and that wouldn't happen with self watering via a float valve. Plus with eleven buckets the buckets are already hanging off both edges of the 10' gutter and I didn't want to sacrifice a space to make room for the float valve.

IMG_20140708_142815_104_zps16jlkqlb.jpg

Hey Kabic, Looks interesting, how have the Chestnuts been growing?

They are doing OK. They haven't been sucking up the water as fast as I thought they would. The last week or two has been cooler than normal, but the next couple of days should be pretty warm. I may have to give them a good soak from the top.

Last edited:
They are doing OK. They haven't been sucking up the water as fast as I thought they would. The last week or has been cooler than normal, but the next couple of days should be pretty warm. I may have to give them a good soak from the top.

Yep, I am hoping the warmer weather will help with growth. Are you applying any fertilizer? I've been using Osmocote 14.14.14

I haven't been giving them much fertilizer. I used miracle grow potting soil in the initial mix for the seedling pots and there was some fertilizer in there. When I transplanted to the buckets each bucket got a good amount of composted cow manure.

I have read that geranium fertilizer is good to use with chestnuts so when I decide I'm going to add some more it would be something like this

If you're going to plant these out yet this year, I'd stop giving them any fertilizer. New growth will be susceptible to winter injury/death. I gave mine a shot of fertilizer in mid June...that's it. The last few I still have in roottrappers are around 18" tall or so, those planted out and tubed (and got no fertilizer) are slightly shorter from what I can tell.

Good point - Last year I was using fertilizer a little too long (until the end of August). This year I was planning on stopping at the end of July.

I was at the farm today and took a couple of photo's of the Chinese Chestnuts I planted last fall (these were bare root stock that I purchased from Red Fern and grew at my home until October). The tubes are 5 ft. Thanks for viewing!

Chestnut7-26.jpg chestnut2-7-26.jpg

I was at the farm today and took a couple of photo's of the Chinese Chestnuts I planted last fall (these were bare root stock that I purchased from Red Fern and grew at my home until October). The tubes are 5 ft. Thanks for viewing!

View attachment 1482 View attachment 1483
Great growth on those trees!

Great growth on those trees!

I was pleased to see their growth, considering they all had a measurable amount of dieback. The only thing I have done to them this year has been to spray them with Seven to control the Japanese Beatles.

Great looking trees 2nd hand!! I've got a few that have grown to the good of 5' this year. Offers right next to them may be at 30" to 3' with 6" to 12" of growth this year. I'm hoping this winter is mild so there isn't any dieback.

Thanks NH - This winter will be the first for the Dunstan's I have been planting. A mild winter would be nice!

These are the chestnut trees I kept back this spring, most are 12-18" but a couple are 24" tall. I would really like to see my trees the size of yours next year.

Scott,

If you fertilize them I would not give them any more this year. Let them finish growing and harden off. Get them planted and protected. Fertilizing too late in the year can cause growth but, it may not harden off and could die back.
Thanks NH! I didn't fertilize them since planting them outside in the pots. When I planted them I added some 14-14-14 Osmocote to the soil.

These are the chestnut trees I kept back this spring, most are 12-18" but a couple are 24" tall. I would really like to see my trees the size of yours next year.

Hey Scott, Looking good - Any thoughts on when you will be planting these? Last year I planted mine in mid-October, if we continue to have decent rain, I might plant in September.

Hey Scott, Looking good - Any thoughts on when you will be planting these? Last year I planted mine in mid-October, if we continue to have decent rain, I might plant in September.
I guess that is what I was kinda thinking also, play it by ear and watch the moisture. This is not a normal year at all weather wise. I have to get some more tubes ordered for my oaks, I'm going to try and tube a couple of these and cage the rest.

I guess that is what I was kinda thinking also, play it by ear and watch the moisture. This is not a normal year at all weather wise. I have to get some more tubes ordered for my oaks, I'm going to try and tube a couple of these and cage the rest.

Sounds good - I'll probably tube most of mine. What type of tubes are you using?