Growing Chestnuts from Seed

How long do you suspect it will be before your trees produce? I am considering buying container trees but they are not cheap - but I don't want to wait forever either!

How long do you suspect it will be before your trees produce? I am considering buying container trees but they are not cheap - but I don't want to wait forever either!
I believe Chestnut Hill Farms (Realtree) says their Dunstans start producing anwhere from 3-6 years.

I get a couple produce in 1 year. About 25% produce in 2 years. 50% in 3 years. 75% in 4 years. The rest will produce in 5-6 years.

Many know that I am trying to get a dozen start producing with this years seedlings. I am just seeing if it is possible.

I get a couple produce in 1 year. About 25% produce in 2 years. 50% in 3 years. 75% in 4 years. The rest will produce in 5-6 years.

Many know that I am trying to get a dozen start producing with this years seedlings. I am just seeing if it is possible.

Spur, Interesting stats. What type(s) of Chestnut have you planted in the past?

Thanks!

Have 6 American left after the blight killed many and my true passion. We have 42 Chinese Chestnut that are mature. And we have 126 Dunstans that are mature.

I have 3 immature Americans, 25 Chinese, and over 1,000 Dunstans. I also have 5 of an undisclosed name.

Have 6 American left after the blight killed many and my true passion. We have 42 Chinese Chestnut that are mature. And we have 126 Dunstans that are mature.

I have 3 immature Americans, 25 Chinese, and over 1,000 Dunstans. I also have 5 of an undisclosed name.

Sounds great - I appreciate your helpful insight!! Looking forward to seeing a mature Chestnut on my farm someday!

Thanks...;)

Since chestnut was essentially wiped out over much of it's natural range does it take the critters (deer in particular) some time to figure them out?

How do you post pics?

Spur, I don't have a photobucket account, I use Paint to reduce the size of the photo then click on upload file as NH Mountains explained. It would be great to see a few photo's of your Mature trees.

Yes please take the time to post some pics! I would love to hear any feedback on these trees you are willing to share. For starters do you think deer really prefer them over acorns? Also do your dunstans closely resemble your Chinese trees? Or is their a district difference in look, size, etc??? Do your dunstans drop around the same time as your Chinese?

Cool - I don't have bears, but I do have plenty of tree-rats! I don't know of any chestnuts in my area and didn't want to put the energy and time into developing some if it was just going to feed the tree-rats.

My nuts came in the mail today. I planted them at lunch, maybe just a tad deeper than 2ndHand did. I basically just barely covered the nut. They all had the root radical just starting to come out. Now it's a waiting game.

They are sitting in the window in the garage and I will move them outside once this severe weather threat is over.

How long do you think before I will see any top growth?

My nuts came in the mail today. I planted them at lunch, maybe just a tad deeper than 2ndHand did. I basically just barely covered the nut. They all had the root radical just starting to come out. Now it's a waiting game.

They are sitting in the window in the garage and I will move them outside once this severe weather threat is over.

Where did you get your nuts and how much?

If the radical was showing when planted, and you placed them in a sunny window, then it will be only a few days for a little top growth, assuming you didn't plant them to deep and you sprinkle a little water on them each day. But be careful not to over water.

Since chestnut was essentially wiped out over much of it's natural range does it take the critters (deer in particular) some time to figure them out?

Deer will pass up White Oak acorns to get to Chestnuts. I have some Douglas Hybrid Chestnuts on my property, and when they were healthy they were the biggest draw in the entire area. Unfortunately after about 25 years the blight is starting to take it's toll.

Last edited by a moderator:
Where did you get your nuts and how much?
I got them from "bigeight" on the QDMA forum. My understanding is he got a bunch of nuts that he was going to plant, but the logger didn't get to the area he planned to put them in.

You will have to send him a message over there because price depends on how far he has to ship.

2nd hand, I hope you update us on those super hardy Chinese chestnuts you planted. If they made it through last winter...you should be good to go for a lifetime I'd think

Will do - I'm headed to the farm tomorrow and will post an update when I get back...;)

Kabic, As far as top growth, for me it took up to two weeks, I have the nuts in my basement growing in a cooler temp under lights. I plan on planting a bunch of Dunstan tomorrow. Best of luck!!...;)

Here is a shot of the tallest growth I got so far from the 11 chestnuts that I planted. They range from the pictured to a few barely breaking the surface.

IMG_20140601_174326_078_zpsziu6li2m.jpg

2nd hand, I hope you update us on those super hardy Chinese chestnuts you planted. If they made it through last winter...you should be good to go for a lifetime I'd think

This weekend I checked out all the Chinese Chestnuts that I planted last fall. All are still alive, but many had die-back. Most of the trees were in the 4 ft. range when planted, about the top foot died on most. Not sure, but the die-back may have been caused by me placing them in tubes in October. I pulled the tube and crushed the old leaves to improve air flow, then replaced the tubes. Next trip, I am going to remove the tubes on about 4 of them and install a welded wire cage with stake. I'll post some pictures once I get a new camera.