Grow dwarf apples on chain link

Northbound

5 year old buck +
So I'm contemplating putting in a 40x40 chain link pen for phesants. Since I have 40 bud 9 grafts from last season in my garden I'm wondering if I can use this new flight pen as a support system for dwarf trees? My little orchard is all on elma7 or 111 so I've never needed a support system before. Feel this could be a good multi purpose use of the pen.
Ordered another 50 bud9 rootstock for this year also. What spacing would you recommend?

When I see the words "good multi purpose use" it always sounds like someone is trying to justify a project to their wife. Moving on, I have a friend that has 15 acres under net for pheasants so I am pretty familiar with pheasant pens and pheasants. The biggest problem that I see getting to it to prune and train it on the fence side. Those limbs cant grow toward the pheasants so are you going to train and prune to only grow on 2-3 sides of the tree. The next issue is pheasant crap. What is the soil going to be like if you keep pheasants there long term. Is it going to be too much natural fertilizer. Next question is what just not buy netting for the pheasants and build a trellis system with posts and wire. Next question is you probably know this but you have to have a good mice and rate control system with pheasants they love the feed. If you don't keep them under control I am not sure I would want my trees right beside the pen. Most importantly, YOU know YOUR idea and property best so please don't think I am trying to be a know it all. People offer me ideas all the time with great intentions but without knowing my property and idea some seem really crazy.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

It's not to appease the wife. What I say goes, lol...
It was just an idea when trying to plan a suppot system for the dwarfs. Like I said I've always planted m7 or bigger and don't support anything besides tree tube. Not sure if you just zip tie a bud9 tree to fence or weave maybe?
Letting some branches grow into pen wound give birds something to pick at when fruit drops.
Fertilizer value I was thinking would be a plus?
In the past I've never had mice problems, barn cats have kept that in check.
The netting I use on top but need a stiff fence side wall as the dogs would find there way into net sides.

What do you guys attach the trees to the typical trellis system with?