Grant woods

My humble, personal opinion here...I think too many of the majority of folks who put in food plots want it to look like a commercial ag field. I'm no fan of fescue and grasses in the plots, but dad gum I don't mind some weeds being in there even if it isn't pretty. And yes, I get there are some "weeds" we don't want to see either. My purpose for food plots is to provide a location for evening shot opportunities. My overall goal is to have enough native forbes, browse, cover, etc. that provide all the nutrition our localized deer population needs. Some of our best years on our farm have been when we've had zero food plots. And, honestly, I'm debating putting them in this year too.

Wild Thing, your picture and post speak volumes to the benefits of no-till and great management. Congratulations on the results of your intentional efforts. I hope the day will come when I can show similar photos, as this is "year one" of my no-till efforts.

Thanks 356. It doesn't happen overnight but it does show improvements every year.

Best of luck in your soil health future.

From my observations and from talks with guys much smarter and older than me, it seems like a lot of no-till purists eventually need some form of cultivation thrown in the mix. This may not be needed for decades, but it has been something that has been gaining attention in the last 2-3 years. How much and how often will depend on soil conditions and rotations, of course.

I work in the ag industry. A good portion of my company's customer base is organic or regenerative farmers. The ones who have been doing it the longest have started to soften their stance on never tilling. Just an observation from my point of view. I still think no-till is fantastic and the way to go for nearly everyone, especially those not doing this commercially.

Wild Thing, your picture and post speak volumes to the benefits of no-till and great management. Congratulations on the results of your intentional efforts. I hope the day will come when I can show similar photos, as this is "year one" of my no-till efforts.

Ditto

Maiden voyage this past weekend with 12 acres no-till sunflower ,cowpeas,millet, buckwheat,soybeans

bill

Listen to SD51555.......There are only a handful of folks that I’ve come across who seem to truly “get it” in its complete context. He’s one of them.

Listen to SD51555.......There are only a handful of folks that I’ve come across who seem to truly “get it” in its complete context. He’s one of them.
Dont say these things on a public forum!! He is gonna get a swelled head again and won't be able to get in or out of his Subaru. :emoji_laughing:

Dont say these things on a public forum!! He is gonna get a swelled head again and won't be able to get in or out of his Subaru. :emoji_laughing:
Too late buddy. It's already been archived in xKeyscore by the NSA. No taking it back now.

You know I first got the idea from you, all the way back to the qdma forum days.

I've gotta tip my cap to you and all the work you did to document it and talk it through. It still took me years to understand it and put it into practice up here. When I saw that black layer of humus you made in your sand, I knew that's the system I wanted. I believe you beat the giants of regen methods to the internet by years. I didn't catch on to the youtube guys until probably 3-4 years ago.

You just NEED to see this. Fact.
That's a Jonny-come-lately. Like I've said, I'm sure it works, but there's an easier way. If you watch that video, when he pulled back the thatch (at the 4:40 mark) to look at the soil, he didn't get the seed trench closed. And if you can't close the seed trench, it's throwing, not drilling. I like Grant a lot, but I'm not a fan of trying to convince people they need all that extra machinery.

Hop in the way-back machine and read this. I'm not kidding when I say Crimson was on this at least 6 years ago, and likely 10 years ago or more, because by 2016 he'd already transformed his sand. First.

It's too bad qdma memory holed the entire forum. His throw and mow thread there was incredible.

Don't miss his pics on page 4.

Check out Dipper Rotation in the LIckCreek forum

Go to post#41 dated June 21 2014

Dipper was on to this at least 8 years ago

bill

That's a Jonny-come-lately. Like I've said, I'm sure it works, but there's an easier way. If you watch that video, when he pulled back the thatch (at the 4:40 mark) to look at the soil, he didn't get the seed trench closed. And if you can't close the seed trench, it's throwing, not drilling. I like Grant a lot, but I'm not a fan of trying to convince people they need all that extra machinery.

Hop in the way-back machine and read this. I'm not kidding when I say Crimson was on this at least 6 years ago, and likely 10 years ago or more, because by 2016 he'd already transformed his sand. First.

It's too bad qdma memory holed the entire forum. His throw and mow thread there was incredible.

Don't miss his pics on page 4.

Yeah....in those times I was too busy clearing, stump grinding and tilling to read about such things. I admit.....I was old school for too long. Still I got 10 acres of plots and regen forest going now. I did read some of this in the past...but was not smart enough to pick up on throw and mow advantages......nor any no till techniques. I always figured I needed to get the seeds below ground to get them to grow. Problem is ....generally I had sucked all the good things out of that ground while burying my seed into dry earth. DUH!

I think I am on a better path now......but I still like my 'chinery to do the work. I WILL read that entire thread over the next weeks.......and I am doing a little spray / throw and mow in the next few days. May just run my cultipacer over for "insurance" tho....grin.

Thanks for this thread C&C!!

I was looking back at some old pics.....I think this will be 11 years now since the last time I disked my field.....Let's call it 10-12 lol...lol

I WILL read that entire thread over the next weeks.......and I am doing a little spray / throw and mow in the next few days. May just run my cultipacer over for "insurance" tho....grin.

Thanks for this thread C&C!!
I appreciate it but y'all don't waste your time reading that whole thread.......A lot of it is probably out dated "thinking" by now......SD51555 has taken those same ideas and went much deeper down the rabbit hole of thought with it since......I think you'll learn a lot more from new discussions.

I'm gonna tip over if Greg Judy puts out a video this week on this as well. He deer hunts too.

"Hi folks, I'm Greg Judy. I've heard all about the crimper method, the chemical method, and the mow method. Ya'all just need to put the checkbook away and get some cows."

Check out Dipper Rotation in the LIckCreek forum

Go to post#41 dated June 21 2014

Dipper was on to this at least 8 years ago

bill

Dipper had some great stuff ... just didn't play in the sandbox very well.

Good to see CnC posting again

His threads opened the door to the importance soil health to a lot of us

bill

Here's my same old test field from those old threads.......This was about a month ago as the crimson clover went to seed......The only thing I do anymore is broadcast cereal rye with a mix of crimson and ladino clover in the fall and mow.....I havent used any fertilzer in several years

Attachments

• zz75.jpg
    zz75.jpg
    769.1 KB · Views: 42