Grafting update

deepsleep

5 year old buck +
Well, originally, the report from my farm was that nearly all of my bark grafts survived, and the cleft grafts didn't. I'm happy to report that over the last several weeks, most of the others have woken up, making my 1st time topworking experiment nearly 100% successful. I was worried I was getting to it too late, as most of the trees I was topworking were in full bloom, but I read a paper that stated the best time to topwork is well after the trees break dormancy. All FWIW. I also had good success on t-buds from last August bud found my success to be far higher on small stock. If the seedling was pinky sized to thumb sized, success was near 100%. Over thumb sized, more like 30%. The t-buds have grown away nicely, and here is one of the faster growing ones. It's from a Siberian seedling which has golfball sized fruit and holds at least until December. You can see I grafted 2 buds to it, and the top one has taken over as the central leader.

I asked my neighbor what his favorite wild apple on his place was, and he had a definite answer, the only problem was the tree had blown over last summer. We collected scions in early March, and bark grafted them onto this 4 yo crab seedling from Coldstream that had pea-sized fruit. They are growing like crazy.

The next couple are bark grafts on potted "Dolgo" planted 5 years ago. The apples are unlike any Dolgo I've seen, with tiny fruit, so I decided to hack them off and try to get something better. I put Mac on one as my dad loves them, and Liberty on the other. Pretty obvious which is which based on DR. The nurse branches have quite a few fruit which I don't mind having. I feel they reduce the vigor of the tree to keep the grafts from growing too much making them a risk to break off from birds/wind.

Thank you to everyone that has provided so much insight on this stuff. It was actually really easy and fun. I did maybe 100 trees and will do another 50 next spring.

Also, for you guys that have purchased scionwood the last few years, who is the best?

Also, for you guys that have purchased scionwood the last few years, who is the best?
Nice job on your grafting! If you have to buy (many people are willing to swap), I have been happy with Masonville Orchard out of Colorado.

Nice job on your grafting! If you have to buy (many people are willing to swap), I have been happy with Masonville Orchard out of Colorado.

Thank you sir! I had read reviews about Masonville having small scions due to the climate, which made me hesitant. Because I couldn't get to my place to prune 2 years ago, I had some pretty small scions for this grafting attempt. Despite everybody saying scion should be at least pencil sized, I found no difference between pencil-sized and 1/3 pencil-sized as far as success. I will try to get scion here, but it is hard for me to trade as my scion sits in an empty house 1000 miles away, waiting for my early May arrival.

I had poor success with the scions I ordered from Maple Valley while the scions Aerospace Farmer gave me did very well. But I'll try them again next year as they had several varieties I cannot get elsewhere.

I also received very nice scion from GRIN. Big Horse Creek Farm has also provided nice scion of heirloom apples.

How about Fedco? They seem to have a pretty good selection. May have to check out the GRIN thing. Do they send them right after harvest? I wonder if they would send them to my neighbor in MI so he could throw them in my fridge up there. The main ones I'm looking for that not every place has are Golden Russet, Wickson, and William's Pride. I also may play around with some classic cider varieties, Kingston Black, etc., although after much reading I think they may be more trouble than they are worth. Thank you everyone for the info, and the previous threads on grafting so I now have this skill.

I did forget about GRIN! They have every variety you could possibly want. I have had so so luck with some really thin scions but they have come various sources.

Thanks for the info on GRIN guys, looks like I'll need to check it out!

Nice job sleeper!

When should orders be placed with GRIN. I should probably look into that more.

Well, originally, the report from my farm was that nearly all of my bark grafts survived, and the cleft grafts didn't. I'm happy to report that over the last several weeks, most of the others have woken up, making my 1st time topworking experiment nearly 100% successful. I was worried I was getting to it too late, as most of the trees I was topworking were in full bloom, but I read a paper that stated the best time to topwork is well after the trees break dormancy. All FWIW. I also had good success on t-buds from last August bud found my success to be far higher on small stock. If the seedling was pinky sized to thumb sized, success was near 100%. Over thumb sized, more like 30%. The t-buds have grown away nicely, and here is one of the faster growing ones. It's from a Siberian seedling which has golfball sized fruit and holds at least until December. You can see I grafted 2 buds to it, and the top one has taken over as the central leader.

I asked my neighbor what his favorite wild apple on his place was, and he had a definite answer, the only problem was the tree had blown over last summer. We collected scions in early March, and bark grafted them onto this 4 yo crab seedling from Coldstream that had pea-sized fruit. They are growing like crazy.

The next couple are bark grafts on potted "Dolgo" planted 5 years ago. The apples are unlike any Dolgo I've seen, with tiny fruit, so I decided to hack them off and try to get something better. I put Mac on one as my dad loves them, and Liberty on the other. Pretty obvious which is which based on DR. The nurse branches have quite a few fruit which I don't mind having. I feel they reduce the vigor of the tree to keep the grafts from growing too much making them a risk to break off from birds/wind.

Thank you to everyone that has provided so much insight on this stuff. It was actually really easy and fun. I did maybe 100 trees and will do another 50 next spring.
I hope I can get 1 or 2 t-buds to take. Somehow my GRIN order was switched to budstock.

I hope I can get 1 or 2 t-buds to take. Somehow my GRIN order was switched to budstock.

You shouldn't have a problem if they send you mature buds that are fresh enough. When you select buds, you want the oldest of this year's growth, so closer to the growth collar than the tip. If you look under the petiole, you can usually see the bud, although different varieties vary wildly in size. One I remember in particular from last year is Ashmead's Kernal--it has dark, almost black buds, which were larger than most of the other varieties. I would water the trees (if you can) if you haven't had the huge rains this year that most have. It is very important to have the bark slipping, and is night and day between "kind of" slipping and slipping. Take the sliver of wood off the bud before you insert it, and most importantly (in my mind), t-bud only onto smaller rootstock/branches, e.g. smaller than your ring finger or so. This has made the most difference for me. As far as timing, you need to do it early enough that they heal up/harden off before major frost, but late enough that the buds are mature. At my place (Zone 5a/b), that seems to be the first or second week of August. I guess your decision on when to graft will be whenever they send you the budwood. I can't imagine it keeps for a long time like dormant scions will. Good luck and keep us posted.

i had planned to fish this weekend, but the weather is not looking the best offshore. Thus, I may have an excuse to head to the farm this weekend. I can definitely get some brassicas in, but wondering what the consensus on "cleaning up" these grafts is. Is there any advantage to leaving nurse branches the rest of the year? I know you are supposed to leave all scions on for a year to help the trunk heal faster, but is there any benefit to choosing the best one and cutting the others back by say, half? Is there any risk of FB or other diseases doing this, or are we past that time? Here are a couple photos. 1 in early May, and the other last week. I left a short nurse branch, but you can see a lot of other stuff filled in. If nothing else, I can definitely start staking these trees to prevent the dreaded death by black bird.

IMO I would snip the top 3-4" off any leaders you dont want to keep in the long run. Allow one to begin taking the lead position. Completely remove the others in the dormant season.

IMO I would snip the top 3-4" off any leaders you dont want to keep in the long run. Allow one to begin taking the lead position. Completely remove the others in the dormant season.

Thanks TC, that's kind of what I was thinking, too. What do you think about the rootstock growth? Time for that to go now, or let it feed the roots until the dormant season as long as my chosen new leader maintains dominance? Also, is there an advantage to choosing the scion which has grown the most most vertical or in-line with the rootstock or just take the tallest one?

Thanks TC, that's kind of what I was thinking, too. What do you think about the rootstock growth? Time for that to go now, or let it feed the roots until the dormant season as long as my chosen new leader maintains dominance? Also, is there an advantage to choosing the scion which has grown the most most vertical or in-line with the rootstock or just take the tallest one?
Not sure there is a written rule for your nurse limb at this stage in the game. I would pick the strongest, straightest growing scion at this point .

Okay, thanks, TC

I had poor success with the scions I ordered from Maple Valley while the scions Aerospace Farmer gave me did very well. But I'll try them again next year as they had several varieties I cannot get elsewhere.
I only got one tree to graft from Maple Valley. Really sucked this year Glad my scions did well for you and it's nice when you are there to get them first hand isn't it ?

I only got one tree to graft from Maple Valley. Really sucked this year

Sounds similar to my experience. I think I got one tree (Hidden Rose) from Maple Valley out of maybe 6 varieties/12 grafts to take.