Got a Hack and Squirt Question

Natty Bumppo

5 year old buck +
Over the past 5 or 6 years I have been releasing a little wild apple grove that I discovered growing deep in the shade of the surrounding ash, maple, and poplar. Got them all in full sun and pruned well and they are responding nicely. I have have one massive poplar left that stands due south of the apples that I just really don't want to drop. It's massive. I hate burning poplar for firewood. If it falls the wrong way it will take out all my apples. In my experience girdling poplars will sometimes cause it to rot and then break and fall over at the girdle...which I don't want.

My question...if I hack and squirt it is there any risk to the nearby apple trees the roots of which are almost certainly growing in and around the roots of the poplar. In other words, is there any conveyance of herbicide from tree to tree if they are close?

Thanks in advance.

Not that I’ve ever seen. I use triclopyr usually and it isn’t soil active.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've heard Tordon can hurt other trees if the roots are intertwined. I've never personally experienced it though.

I've read the same thing about Tordon. ^^^^^ No experience with it though.

Does glyphosate work for hack and squirt?

Reactions: ATP
Remedy safer than Tordon

Thanks for the replies. Going to give it a try I think and keep my fingers crossed.

I've used glyphosate on hybrid poplar with no ill effects on surrounding trees. I used it full strength.

I've used glyphosate on hybrid poplar with no ill effects on surrounding trees. I used it full strength.
what time of year do you this ? for hybrid poplar

I made the mistake of using Tordon on some Locust that were growing in a hedgerow of Norway Spruce. Mixed results on the Locust but killed several spruce that were too close to the Locust roots.

I made the mistake of using Tordon on some Locust that were growing in a hedgerow of Norway Spruce. Mixed results on the Locust but killed several spruce that were too close to the Locust roots.

I fear I may have done something similar with an ancient oak that I tried to release to convert an overgrown wooded area back into Oak Savanna. I used a Glyphosate 24D 50/50 mix at full strength. It didnt seem to hurt it the first spring but the following year only the top of the tree produced any leaves.

Herbicide use is a must but i need to find something that I dont have to worry about killing non-target trees.