Google maps just updated images of my farm…

Nice for you. Google maps still 10 yrs or more outta date by my land. Tend to use the maps in duckduckgo which believe is same as Apple maps and more current but still 5 or 6 yrs old.

Not sure what criteria is used for updates but my neighborhood is obviously podunkville.

Nice for you. Google maps still 10 yrs or more outta date by my land. Tend to use the maps in duckduckgo which believe is same as Apple maps and more current but still 5 or 6 yrs old.

Not sure what criteria is used for updates but my neighborhood is obviously podunkville.
Dude. First update in 6 years since I’ve owned place. Ha

Google Maps or Google Earth? Or are they usually the same? Mine hasn't been updated in ages either! 😂

Google Maps or Google Earth? Or are they usually the same? Mine hasn't been updated in ages either! 😂
It’s in both. Google earth has a 3d Mode to see topography.

Some more pics. My summer crops were so thick I mowed some paths in some of my fields.

IMG_3669.pngIMG_3667.png

Try Bing maps too. My place is updated to last year on Bing but 6-7 years old on Google.

I hadn't ever thought to look at the bing maps, but it caught me mowing one of the orchards as well. Well, the food plot part of the orchard.

orchard.jpg

Got my hopes up but bing was way old for me. So far onx is the most recent for my world

View "new" aerial imagery in Google Earth (desktop).
Start here:

1, Open this link:
https://naip.imagery1.arcgis.com/arcgis/rest/services/NAIP/ImageServer
2. Look up close to the top of the page for VIEW IN.
3. Click ArcGIS Earth
4. A .kmz file will be created and downloaded
5. Open Google Earth
6. Open ADD FILE.
7. Navigate to wherever you saved the kmz file and add it as you would any other file.
8. You will need to zoom in to your area of interest to display the most recent NAIP imagery. More below the illustration
1707929964484.png
NAIP is USDA's National Agriculture Imagery Program acquisition. Frequency of collection is dependent on budget dollars, but I believe nothing provided in this nationwide set is more than 3 years old.

To learn more about NAIP google it or USDA APFO imagery.

Bing Maps has the latest update for me, maybe 2 years old.

And caught an image of me planting one of my fields. Just thought that was cool!

View attachment 62478
We also got the first update in 5 years a week or so ago. And they’re very recent, too, being only about a month old. No tractors caught … but the previous update had some deer in our field.

I guess I do work for the County and we have 1" imagery flown every 3 years. Last time was spring 2023, so hopefully I get some projects done before next time. Here is a pic of the new redneck next to my food plot after we got it burned, but before we got it planted.
KSGEAR23 (4).jpg

Updated on my place last week for the first time since 2016. Been hitting refresh button for years waiting on update. Kinda like Christmas morning when it comes.

Here's something else for those of you seeing older imagery in Google Earth and/or Maps and probably for any application using imagery delivered from some distant off-site server.

A little background. Aerial imagery like any picture consists of thousands if not hundreds-of-thousands of pixels. When an application receiving imagery from a server makes a call to that server there's a lot of latency - a long wait - for the required information to reach your device and to be displayed by your application. To overcome this troubling delay most things using aerial imagery create a cache on your device. A cache is just a file storing the imagery you most often display, So, instead of making a server call for new imagery the application grabs the stored cache information. The implication is the server imagery can be updated but unless you manage that cache you might never see it,

There are so many devices with their own procedures you will need to do a little work on you own if you want to pursue this as a possible reason for seeing only old imagery.

Here's a simple routine for Google Earth
1707941399044.png

"Draftlogic Area" website vs "Draftlogic Distance" website.

Kind of cool since you can see the start of my driveway in the first pic, then in the other pic you can see everything including the fruit trees, plots, fire pit, etc that I've added through the house build.

Screenshot_20240214_141534_Gallery.jpgScreenshot_20240214_141519_Gallery.jpg

Hey I just checked mine, it had to have been updated between September - October from the looks of it. I hope Hunt X updates with that soon as well.

"Draftlogic Area" website vs "Draftlogic Distance" website.

Kind of cool since you can see the start of my driveway in the first pic, then in the other pic you can see everything including the fruit trees, plots, fire pit, etc that I've added through the house build.

View attachment 62502View attachment 62503
That's really cool Cat!

That's really cool Cat!

It is neat to look at the changes I've made.
I find it interesting that Draftlogic uses 2 different maps for their distance and area tools.