Going to start a new clover field

Dukslayr

5 year old buck +
This fall I debated putting in a 1/2-3/4 acre clover plot in a CRP field near a tower blind I just put up. I ended up not putting in the plot yet as I thought I’d hunt the stand for a year and then decide. Well, the stand is fantastic (killed the buck I posted on the harvest page out of it), but now that I’ve watched deer move through this field I think a clover plot ticked back into this field would be dynamite...but a different t location that I was previously planning on.

Right now it’s semi rough CRP with some smaller woody stems and stumps (most of which I think will be manageable by my heavy brush cutter and root grapple if needed). I’ve got a bag of WI Clover that I can use on this plot. Since I missed fall prepping and planting I’m curious what your thoughts are on my best course of action here. I’m wondering if I can wait till later this winter (February maybe) and either broadcast the clover into the standing cover, followed by mowing it and then hit it with glysophate as once it starts to green up? Normally I would mow, kill, till and then seed...but wondering if I can do a “throw and mow” but for spring clover instead of a fall plot. Anyone done this with any degree of success? I’ve also got a Woods PSS84 I can use if needed.

If it was me in that situation I would mow a 10' perimeter (now) around where you want to plant your plot in the spring. Soil test for ph and lime accordingly. Come spring I would burn the crp inside the mowed portion. It will green up within days of the first rain. I would wait about two weeks to ensure most of the plants have time to emerge. At that time I would spray it. There should be rain in the near future that time of year and you could plant your clover with a nurse crop of oats as soon as the herbicide is absorbed by the plants and they are dry.

Just my two cents. I have always planted my clover plots in late summer and have never had one fail. I like to spray the weeds twice and then around late August to early September plant my clover. I like to use Winter Rye Grain as a nurse crop. Everybody including myself wants to hurry up and get seed in the ground but its worth the time and effort to get those weeds under control that first summer. Also keeps your clover seedlings from being burned up in the heat of summer before they have established a root system that can recover from hot drought conditions.

Just my two cents. I have always planted my clover plots in late summer and have never had one fail. I like to spray the weeds twice and then around late August to early September plant my clover. I like to use Winter Rye Grain as a nurse crop. Everybody including myself wants to hurry up and get seed in the ground but its worth the time and effort to get those weeds under control that first summer. Also keeps your clover seedlings from being burned up in the heat of summer before they have established a root system that can recover from hot drought conditions.
This is what I do too...just missed the fall planting so going to give so going to give spring planting a shot.

I should know this. I know my annual clover burns in the Georgia heat, after looking beautiful in spring. This year I planted fall clover on Labor day. We had a hot (98 degree) drought in September. Even with irrigation, I got germination but almost no growth until it cooled off and the rains came. Was it not doing well due to the heat? There was a noticeable difference where I had irrigated vs not, but everything caught up after the rain

In New England I can plant clover in the spring and it comes out great.

Just lime lime lime it!

Clover is best /easiest to get established when planting in the Fall with a cover crop like Oats or Cereal Rye. It will come up nice the following Spring. I’ve tried both Fall and Spring plantings and I’ll never attempt Spring again. That don’t mean you can’t do it in the Spring.

As a follow up.

I also can add that in N.E. the plot I planted in August did not really mature into a good crop by Fall. It was there and doing well,. just not bulking growth. The spring planted one really had done well with lots of growth by fall. Spring planting resulted in a battle with weeds though.

I’ve spring planted clover right down the road from you. Mow now, nuke everything after green up. Broadcast clover and oats or rye and hope for decent precipitation. Just have to be prepared to mow and maybe use some clethodim and or butyrac in early June. It’s not as good as a fall plant but when I did it I had a nice plot in September.

I’ve spring planted clover right down the road from you. Mow now, nuke everything after green up. Broadcast clover and oats or rye and hope for decent precipitation. Just have to be prepared to mow and maybe use some clethodim and or butyrac in early June. It’s not as good as a fall plant but when I did it I had a nice plot in September.

That’s what I’m planning Bill. I would much rather plant in the fall but at this point don’t want to wait till September. I’m going to get the tractor out in a couple weeks and mow down all my screens, sunflowers and this new clover plot so I’m ready to roll come spring.

Do what Bill said. W.I. clover doesn't frost seed great due to some of the annual clovers in it. If it fails, you have the fall to try again, and only out the seed and time. I'd get lime down now.