Girdling Trees to Create Food Plot

younggun1849

5 year old buck +
Has anybody ever girdled trees to get sunlight to a the ground to create a food plot? I have a 1.5 acre area I want to turn into a food plot. It is in a remote area of the farm that is difficult to get to. I can't get heavy machinery to this location to clear stumps, and there are some big trees that are taking all of my sunlight where I want food. What if I girdle the big trees to let sunlight in, and clear the small trees? I think this could make for a good plot, as long as the girdling kills the trees. Most of the big trees are cottonwoods 24" in diameter.

I girdle a lot of huge sweetgum trees. Here in SC, they decay rather quickly and begin to drop large limbs. Some consider this a danger but I am very aware of where they are. It does let in a lot more sunlight, but it's still not great until the limbs fall. Some of these trees are 36 to 48 inches in diameter and I have no safe was to drop them or I would. I always double girdle and spray with straight 41% glyphosate.

I've girdled many trees to make areas thicker, but never for a food plot. You will get sunlight to the ground, so stuff will grow. I'm curious what you plan to grow, how you will plant, and how you will maintain it.

Isn't girdling meant to kill the tree without cutting it down? If you want the added full sunlight cut it down. I girdling a few big ones to stop them from hogging all the moisture in one of my plots. I trimmed the branches high enough that I feel like enough light gets in. My trees were slightly spaced out and I didnt want it to be wide open with those trees gone. Also it leaves me something to use to get the draw once they hit the plot. Honestly I have killed more deer around the plot than actually in it.

Last edited:
In all honesty - I would cut them down if you can. I say this because the stumps will stump spout like crazy and give more security to your plot. The thing I don't like about killing the tree and leaving it stand is you are going to get all sorts of dead limbs falling and the like and eventually the tree will come down - I prefer to just deal with the mess once and be done with it. Cut the trees into pieces you can manage and do with it as you want. I like to take slash and the like and use it to create screens or funnels at the edge of the plot. I have even seen logs stacked to create ground blinds before. If they are larger than you care to screw with then girdling is an option. Cottonwood is a sign of ground moisture so keep that in mind for your plot - there is a fair chance you have a high water table or flooding or something that is providing a higher than normal level of moisture in the soil in that location. Just my 2 cents worth.

I'm curious what you plan to grow, how you will plant, and how you will maintain it.

I plan on it being a green plot, LC mix. Spray, and broadcast.

J-Bird- It is in our bottoms where moisture is not an issue. I don't think I'd be able to plant in the spring, but it should be good come August to plant greens. It's a killer spot, I just need to get it cleared. I'm not comfortable cutting the huge cotton woods down, I can't reach around them, and I'm 6' 4", they are big. Then dealing with a tree like that, how do you move the sections without heavy equipment? I can't get heavy equipment back there, so I won't be able to get the stumps out anyway. There aren't a ton of big cotton woods that need to be killed, maybe 10 of them. I think if I girdle, & hack & squirt, I should be able to open up the canopy enough to get brassicas & rye/oats to grow.

If I hack & squirt & double girdle will the stumps sprout? I don't think this would be the end of the world if they did sprout, as they are very spaced out.

younggun - I don't like messing with big stuff either. I just figure the tree is going to come down at some point anyway. at least if I cut it down - it's on my terms. I can try to get it to fall where I want and when I want. My luck is the thing will fall in the wrong place at the wrong time at a later date or I am constantly cleaning up large pieces of it over several years. I don't use "heavy equipment" either I just cut up what I can and push/pull it around with my little tractor and FEL. It's a lot of work but it is possible. I know of one plot where a large tree trunk was simply left lay and they put the plot in around it.

I would double girdle and apply something to kill the entire tree - stump and all - just to be sure.

A double-girdling should kill them, but I'd be really concerned hunting anywhere near where you have giant, dead cottonwoods nearby. They're prone to storm damage when they're alive so I'd be worried about what would happen when they die. Would you be able to get a logging company to come in and cut them down for you if they could keep the wood for free?

I also have a bunch of similar sized cottonwoods that I would like removed, but my plan is to wait until I select log my woods and hopefully get rid of the cottonwoods at the same time.

what time of year is best for girdling? I have heard different variations

From the USDA Forest Service:

The time of year is a factor in
determining the effectiveness of girdling.
The plant is most vulnerable early in the
growing season just after rapid tissue
growth has depleted carbohydrate
reserves. Also, the bark is “loose” in
spring and early summer when the
cambium is active, making the bark
easier to peel. Later in the year, the
cambium is more difficult to remove,
especially in larger trees.