Getting Closer to an Ozark Chinquapin x American Chestnut Cross

letemgrow

5 year old buck +
They’ve both been in the ground here for a few years and are looking good considering the wicked drought and high temps this year.

83c8e02106b969ff91d9557df6488c6b.jpg

c4ee9439c932dcfab1ffec00fa70b8bb.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What is the benefit of this cross. Dont both parent species suffer from chestnut blight?

What is the benefit of this cross. Dont both parent species suffer from chestnut blight?
That's what I'm trying to find out.

These are from trees that have some resistance to the blight on both sides.

We shall see if the cross produces something with more blight resistance than either parent.

I'm really excited you are trying this. I planted a few seedlings this year (certainly thanks to @letemgrow) with the future hope of doing just this. I also planted some amongst some Chinese hybrids.

That's what I'm trying to find out.

These are from trees that have some resistance to the blight on both sides.

We shall see if the cross produces something with more blight resistance than either parent.
Good luck, but any resistance you see is likely just luck.

A little bit of luck is responsible for every organism that benefited from natural selection

I'm looking more for the cruddy bark response that others have shown.

I know of some trees that have had the bight for 7 years and produced swollen cankers.

They're still alive and producing nuts.

Is it better not to try?
American Chestnut has been thoroughly studied. For me personally, I trust the research that shows AC has no blight resistance. I have plenty of other things to grow, while I wait for the release of the Darling 58.

Letemgrow,
Could you get leaves from both trees sampled with the oxalate test? I have no idea how hard or costly it is.

Some where out there has to be some American's with resitance.

Letemgrow,
Could you get leaves from both trees sampled with the oxalate test? I have no idea how hard or costly it is.

Some where out there has to be some American's with resitance.

They do exist. The ACCF has some and they’re back crossing them for further resistance.

1cf272e2d89fdad36742275db608d900.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have some Ozark Chinquapins from last year and some seed from this year that I’m putting in the ground this spring.

I also helped a friend fertilize his yard tree he got from the Conservation Dept. They gave him some resistant pollen. So I have some seeds from that. Would love to see these trees make a comeback.

I work in Sutherland Oregon. The person who lives claims there are chinquapin s in the rocky areas. I am trying to get seeds gathered.

American Chestnut has been thoroughly studied. For me personally, I trust the research that shows AC has no blight resistance. I have plenty of other things to grow, while I wait for the release of the Darling 58.

"Pure American Chestnuts Showing Durable Blight Control ACCF Orchard Lesesne"

1709217290163.png

Definitely not the perfect restoration tree, but science takes time.
Back crosses and tree hybrids are just as much science as the darling fiasco. Maybe more.