Cocklebur management?

IkemanTx

5 year old buck +
I am slowly converting my family’s 40 acres back into prairie/savannah and have a major problem with cocklebur. Everyone I have talked to says properly timed broadcast spraying herbicides for multiple years is about the only way to tackle a problem like this.

The property is primarily used for recreation, with only a few months of grazing each year, the timing of which I should be able to control.

The property is heavy Blackland clay bottomland and stays quite soggy after rain events on wet years. For the last 30 years or so it has only either been baled or grazed (cotton or corn before that all the way back to the 1870’s), often times with pretty high stocking densities on it even with the ground saturated. My parents were essentially absentee landowners for 30 years and leased to the neighbor for whatever the Ag exempt taxes were. So, I know we have compaction and infiltration issues as well as a very high level of cocklebur seeds in the seed bank.

With the intent of converting back to tall-grass prairie, I plan to burn at least 5-10 acres of the place each year (first burn performed earlier this month)… which could cause them to explode even further.

What control mechanisms could I use to control the cocklebur, but not deplete the rest of the forb and broadleaf seed bank? Maybe controlling grazing timing and intensity? Mowing/topping at certain times? Spot spraying? Anyone with experience or knowledge with this particular plant would be appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Depending how you wanna go about it, cocklebur seems to love wet-low calcium-tough soil environments. If your clay is that heavy, a good shot of gypsum could be a place to start if you can source it and get it spread. I think there are some really big piles in Texas looking for a home, depending on where you're located. If you've got any refineries nearby, they may have a big pile they'd be happy to share with you at a very reasonable rate. Double check the purity though. I'm not sure how clean that refiners gypsum is.

I'd personally prefer to go the environmental route to fix that. You've probably got a well charged seedbank. And if you don't, the property right next to you probably does, and the critters will bring new seed on over just as soon and you get it all handled.

I've got some cocklebur that came up in a plot this past year. It was there, but it never really got a foothold. I was very lucky that my rye/clover/vetch/brassica blend came on very strong. I'm still short on calcium, but as long as I'm not seeing any signs of problems, I'm not adding any. I've got similar soil in that it's heavy clay and just got done having a burn on top of it, and lots of heavy equipment trauma. I imagine, had it been wet last year, I'd have had a better cocklebur crop.

My rancher neighbor has fought cocklebur. We are also in blackland prairie. He sprays 24db when the cocklebur develops a full leaf canopy but before seed matures. Leaves prevent a lot of herbicide from reaching the ground and the butyrac saves clover and other legumes