Garage Torsion Springs

Mortenson

5 year old buck +
Any of you guys change these before? Mine broke a spring last week. Ordered the new ones. Pretty sure I came close to exactly matching them. Same length (35"), same wire (.234), rod (1.75"). The job went fine, but the door won't lift either manually or mechanically. I counted 30 quarter turns to back off the unbroken spring, so I put the new ones on with 30 quarter turns, even though charts say an average 8' high door needs possibly 34-35. Do you think that's my issue? Looking for various other issues or binding and can't find anything. Thanks.

Are you meaning the spring above the door frame or the ones on the side.No way would I mess with one above frame.Theres been more than one person end up in ER or worse when they turn loose.

I've replaced one on each door that I have. I always counted the number of turns in the spring and not the length and measured the diameter of the spring.

I trust that the new springs are wound in the same direction as the old ones?

I always had someone with me when I replaced the springs so they could call 911 if one of the rods whacked me in the forehead.

I have replaced them, but I do lots of stupid stuff. When you say you cant open it manually, do you mean it is too heavy, or that it is wedged, or has a bent track? Even without the springs, a guy should be able to lift a 8 foot door, it would be heavy, but doable. The springs just make it lighter. If you can open it, but its heavy, give the springs a couple more turns. The door should stay closed on its own, and have some weight to it, but you shouldnt have to grunt to lift it. If you cant move the door at all, look for something bent, or a roller wedge blocking it. You could have went backwards with the springs, making it heavier as well. Just be careful, and take your time, always have a good solid bite on the spring with one tool, before moving it.

Did you buy a left hand and right hand spring? Did you put them on the correct sides when installing them? Did you wind them correctly? Did you put the cables back where they should be? I did mine about 5 years ago. There are plenty of videos out there showing the proper steps to take. As has already been stated, you should be able to pick the door up even without the springs. It will be heavy, but doable. It sounds like the springs may be working against you for some reason.

This is a page from the company I bought my springs from. Check over everything and you will find the problem. It sounds like something isn't installed correctly.

Thanks guys. Last couple responses were exactly correct. what a goof but I wound the spring the wrong direction. Every step was done properly and cautiously otherwise. Glad it didn't result in injury. Did a search and read some horror stories on Agtalk. Catastrophic blood loss, broken jaws and hands, artificial knuckles, etc. I think I could balance the door slightly better with 1 or 2 more turns but for now I'm satisfied and will sleep on it.

My neighbor installed his door himself. He had to do the springs twice as the first attempt ended bloodily! knocked him off the ladder also. I think he was lucky. It’s not a real difficult thing I guess but experience is the key. Glad you got it working.

I had someone replace our springs when one broke, and they only lasted a few years before breaking again.
So I did some googling and asked for heavier springs the second time. Thicker & heavier springs are under less stress so they have a much higher cycle count before failure. The company charged me extra for heavier springs that only lasted a few years.
So I did some more googling and bought the thickest heaviest springs I could find online that were appropriate for my door. There are some calculators online where you enter info about your door and they'll give you several options of springs that are suitable for the weight and travel of the door. I don't remember specifics but they didn't cost that much more to get the heaviest option that would fit.

I don't remember exactly when that was, but I'm sure they've lasted longer than the ones I had installed. And with kids driving now, they get cycled a lot more than they used to.

I do almost everything myself, and I'd happily pay someone to swap the springs on the door because when they break I'd like it done within hours instead of waiting for something to ship.
I just can't get decent springs without doing it myself.

Any of you guys change these before? Mine broke a spring last week. Ordered the new ones. Pretty sure I came close to exactly matching them. Same length (35"), same wire (.234), rod (1.75"). The job went fine, but the door won't lift either manually or mechanically. I counted 30 quarter turns to back off the unbroken spring, so I put the new ones on with 30 quarter turns, even though charts say an average 8' high door needs possibly 34-35. Do you think that's my issue? Looking for various other issues or binding and can't find anything. Thanks.
Yes, replace them many a times. You want one full wrap on the springs for each foot the garage door is high, usually 7 foot is the standard. Also, spray paint a line across the new springs, when done you will see or easily count 7 wraps, your line will look like a barber pole stripe. You mention 8 feet high, so 8 full wraps. Taller the door, the longer the springs need to be.

You do have a LH wind and a RH wind spring, right? When completed with proper tension, door should rest about 1/4 to 1/3rd the way up. And when all the way up, make sure there is no slack on the cable, should have some tension, not much, but a little.

I must have super springs. LOL. I’ve had my door 16 X 9 up for 35 years and never had a broken spring. It’s opened and closed about 4 times a day. I can’t imagine springs that break every few years.

On my 3 doors Ive only had 1 break in 27 years

Annual maintenance on these really helps. The overhead door shop told me to use silicone spray on the springs annually, and sure enough, this stopped having breakage issues. Before that I was breaking springs about every three years. Right now I am 14 years and no issues.

Yes, you want a full turn on the spring for every foot the door is high. So most gargae doors are 7 feet. Install springs, keep in mind, left hand and rh wind, and then with sprins on, no tenstion, door closed, spray paint a line on the spring all the way down, its a straight line now, but when you are done, it will wrap around 7 times. Look like a candy stripe.