Fruit trees/nut trees/shrubs for deer that love wet soil

Wow been reading about silky dogwood. Looks really good too. Anyone think it’s a bad idea to plant some red osier or silky dogwood in between rows of apples/persimmons/pears? I mean I like nice open rows but the big bucks don’t.
The deer at my place walk right by ROD to browse on the silky dogwood. And the silky is the easiest shrub in the world to propagate, I’ve had almost 100% success pushing clippings into spring dirt with zero protection…my ROD clippings are around 25% success rate.
Silky grows twice as fast as ROD for me too.

The deer at my place walk right by ROD to browse on the silky dogwood. And the silky is the easiest shrub in the world to propagate, I’ve had almost 100% success pushing clippings into spring dirt with zero protection…my ROD clippings are around 25% success rate.
Silky grows twice as fast as ROD for me too.
Well I’ll see which ones they like better. Going to order 25 of each from NY DEC tree sale. I got so much on my plate this spring with trees but I wouldn’t have it any other way.

Last edited:
Well I’ll to see which ones they like better. Going to order 25 of each from NY DEC tree sale. I got so much in my plate this spring with trees but I wouldn’t have it any other way.
They start accepting orders after new years. Some stuff stays in stock for awhile, others disappear in the first few days. Containerized plugs are one of them. Chestnuts are another. Ruffed grouse packet is a nice little mix for hunting habitat.

I looked up silky dogwood. I might have that gowing in my nursery. Any way to tell the difference. I thought my dogwood was a little darker red than ROD.

Last edited:
Good trees & shrubs for wetter soil -
Pin oak, Red Osier dogwood (ROD), Arrowwood viburnum, highbush cranberry (also a type of viburnum with edible red berries), swamp white oak.

I’ve been working on getting ROD going in my wet area of the property but it’s been slow between summer drought and fighting reed canary grass. The ones I did get growing I just used some landscape staples on suckers to get them to spread faster. I planted some silky along the edge this fall, hoping they take off. I just got my hands on some swamp white oak acorns so that’s the next project this spring. I’m also trying to transplant some balsam on the edge for cover and as far in as they will grow. Tamarack grew well in the middle but the bucks destroyed all but the one I finally fenced. And similar to what I can see from Sandbur’s pictures, I’m pushing the edges of these areas with crabapples hoping it’s not too wet. IMG_7870.jpeg

They start accepting orders after new years. Some stuff stays in stock for awhile, others disappear in the first few days. Containerized plugs are one of them. Chestnuts are another. Ruffed grouse packet is a nice little mix for hunting habitat.

I looked up silky dogwood. I might have that gowing in my nursery. Any way to tell the difference. I thought my dogwood was a little darker red than ROD.
Some times they can look almost identical. One sure way to tell is to cut the stem. ROD will have a white pith. The silky will have a pink/ salmon colored pith.

Take a picture when you can. Its likely red dogwood. Red Osier is a variety of dogwood. When you look it up online, you see this bright red pretty stuff. Natural common red dogwood is a bit more burgandy. Ladt 2 years growth is red, as the dogwood gets more than a magic marker sizer, its starts turning more grey. The summer leaves you see is about the same as ornimental stuff you see. Same goes with the flowers.

IF you can buy soem yellow dogwood, I'd pick it up too. Got a nice yellow / orange look to it. I feel it's more cold hardy than red. See more of it in the adirondacks than red.
Took some pictures of what I believe is red dogwood. It’s growing everywhere on my land. Also up on the hill where I got a massive planting project this spring.

Attachments

• IMG_1552.jpeg
    IMG_1552.jpeg
    762.3 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_1553.jpeg
    IMG_1553.jpeg
    660.2 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_1554.jpeg
    IMG_1554.jpeg
    722.3 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_1549.jpeg
    IMG_1549.jpeg
    868 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_1551.jpeg
    IMG_1551.jpeg
    909.9 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_1544.jpeg
    IMG_1544.jpeg
    963.2 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_1542.jpeg
    IMG_1542.jpeg
    954.1 KB · Views: 31
Beaked hazlenut
Swamp White Oak

Swamp Chestnut Oak. Humans can eat the acorns with little or no leaching. They also drop later than white oak.

I’ve been working on getting ROD going in my wet area of the property but it’s been slow between summer drought and fighting reed canary grass. The ones I did get growing I just used some landscape staples on suckers to get them to spread faster. I planted some silky along the edge this fall, hoping they take off. I just got my hands on some swamp white oak acorns so that’s the next project this spring. I’m also trying to transplant some balsam on the edge for cover and as far in as they will grow. Tamarack grew well in the middle but the bucks destroyed all but the one I finally fenced. And similar to what I can see from Sandbur’s pictures, I’m pushing the edges of these areas with crabapples hoping it’s not too wet. View attachment 61027
I posted it somewhere and years back, but for RC, I mowed, roundup, roundup, black plastic and willow cuttings. They did ok and best where I never removed the plastic.

I don’t know if red osier would tolerate the anaerobic environment under the plastic. I just used willow cuttings.

Some times they can look almost identical. One sure way to tell is to cut the stem. ROD will have a white pith. The silky will have a pink/ salmon colored pith.
I thought we had ROD around here, but everything I've cut open indicates Silky.
It's thick in this area. Almost a nuisance. There's a few hundred acres of the stuff within a 2 mile radius of me. We grew up calling it redbrush and hated when my dad sent me in there to push deer.
They rarely came out!😄

Anybody got a comparison of silky and red. I did cuttings in the nursery this year and they survived quite well. Wondering if it's silky or not. Does silky handle zone 3 better? I really enjoy seeing the yellow / orange ones, anybody tried cuttings from them? Might scoop up a few alongside the highway on my way to camp, or in a few swampy areas if the snowmobile trails open this year.

Anybody got a comparison of silky and red. I did cuttings in the nursery this year and they survived quite well. Wondering if it's silky or not. Does silky handle zone 3 better? I really enjoy seeing the yellow / orange ones, anybody tried cuttings from them? Might scoop up a few alongside the highway on my way to camp, or in a few swampy areas if the snowmobile trails open this year.

Take a cutting… the pith of the branch will be brown for Silky; white for RO… also, if there are any berries left blue= Silky; White= RO

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Swamp Chestnut Oak. Humans can eat the acorns with little or no leaching. They also drop later than white oak.
I planted a 100 of them in one of my plantings

High bush cranberry and elderberry would likely do well in seasonally wet areas

I ordered trees from the DEC today. I asked them about wild apple, they have it, but it is not listed on their sale. Should see the invoice in a week or two. Not much info on them on their site, see what they make in a few years.

Here is what I’m calling silky, not 100% sure if it’s silky dogwood or silky willow? (Leaning towards willow) I do know that the deer absolutely love it. The #1 browse on my place in winter over anything else.

IMG_6666.jpeg
IMG_6667.jpeg

Grows from a common base, doesn’t really spread unless I cut clippings and push them into wet soil in early spring. Then it’s pretty much 100% success in starting them.
IMG_6668.jpeg

ROD for comparison
IMG_6669.jpeg

I’ve got maybe 100 of the silky planted now and we planted around 1000 ROD when we put shrub strips in. Both are fine with wet feet. Working on growing a thick road screen in a low spot with new clippings.

Here is what I’m calling silky, not 100% sure if it’s silky dogwood or silky willow? (Leaning towards willow) I do know that the deer absolutely love it. The #1 browse on my place in winter over anything else.

That looks like some kind of willow. Would be cool to know what kind it is. I have incredible success with willow cuttings.

That looks like some kind of willow. Would be cool to know what kind it is. I have incredible success with willow cuttings.
I believe the very first cuttings of it I got from John-W-WI on here that has/had a nursery?
Sold me 5-6 sticks of it around five years ago and it took right off and has done great.

Yep, it was John, nursery is Big Rock Trees I think.

Last edited:
I believe the very first cuttings of it I got from John-W-WI on here that has/had a nursery?
Sold me 5-6 sticks of it around five years ago and it took right off and has done great.

Yep, it was John, nursery is Big Rock I think.

I'll PM him and ask is he has any more for sale. I am a big believer in willows.