Fruit trees/nut trees/shrubs for deer that love wet soil

Gmule82

A good 3 year old buck
Clearing land in preparation for spring planting coming up and some spots I got are real wet from hillside springs and runoff. I’m looking for different types of plants that thrive in wet soil that deer browse or fruit/nuts.

I’m in central NY. Zone 5a/b.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Another suggestion for red osier dogwood. Also several types of willow/sallow and a few other types of dogwood. Dead easy to grow and maintain.

Persimmon. Overcup oak.

Persimmon.

IF you got wet spots that die in food plots, always have some bagged winter rye around. It is used very often on excavation site for erosion control, or temporary stabilization of dirt piles.

Look up the NYSDEC spring seedling sale. They sually ship through the county soil and water districts. They ave a riparian packet. OR look up riparian plants. Basicaly streamside bank stabilization. Streamco willow. Red oak, maybe witch hazel.

Raspberry can be used too. Im going to b playing with mulberry the next few years too. They grow in swampy edges.

Might be an interesting read.

Red Osier Dogwood. The NY DEC seedling sale starts in a week and you can get them cheap. I have done elderberry and American plum as well but the ROD have done the best for me. A thread I posted on another forum a few years ago, pictures don’t show it great and I should probably post new ones on this forum. It is a deer magnet and one of the better spots on my property now.

Red Osier Dogwood. The NY DEC seedling sale starts in a week and you can get them cheap. I have done elderberry and American plum as well but the ROD have done the best for me. A thread I posted on another forum a few years ago, pictures don’t show it great and I should probably post new ones on this forum. It is a deer magnet and one of the better spots on my property now.

Was going to order some norways. I’ve got some red multi stem stuff already growing in the wet areas. Don’t know if that’s red osier dogwood or something else. But I’ll order some. Thanks.

Take a picture when you can. Its likely red dogwood. Red Osier is a variety of dogwood. When you look it up online, you see this bright red pretty stuff. Natural common red dogwood is a bit more burgandy. Ladt 2 years growth is red, as the dogwood gets more than a magic marker sizer, its starts turning more grey. The summer leaves you see is about the same as ornimental stuff you see. Same goes with the flowers.

IF you can buy soem yellow dogwood, I'd pick it up too. Got a nice yellow / orange look to it. I feel it's more cold hardy than red. See more of it in the adirondacks than red.

Take a picture when you can. Its likely red dogwood. Red Osier is a variety of dogwood. When you look it up online, you see this bright red pretty stuff. Natural common red dogwood is a bit more burgandy. Ladt 2 years growth is red, as the dogwood gets more than a magic marker sizer, its starts turning more grey. The summer leaves you see is about the same as ornimental stuff you see. Same goes with the flowers.

IF you can buy soem yellow dogwood, I'd pick it up too. Got a nice yellow / orange look to it. I feel it's more cold hardy than red. See more of it in the adirondacks than red.
I read the yellow dogwood is just a variant of red osier. I have to agree with you that it does seem more hardy. I have had the more success with the yellow cuttings over red or silky.

here's the descriptions of what they sell.

Don't get excited about wild apple. They had it one year after they dropped toringo crabapple. Havent seen it in 3 or 4 years. Would be nice if they just put 5 or 10 in their mixed packets.

Red dogwood was survived 3 years in stillwater reservoir north of old forge and east of lowville. Used to be one 3B, tihnk it now 4A. Survived that -38 deg winter. Not sure if I am buying red dogwood this year. I got about 30-40 dogwoods in my nursery from cuttings in the spring.

I know it's off the beaten path a little, but Mulberry loves some wet soil. deer love the leaves and a lot of critters like the berries. I have had good luck with Pear and Persimmon on wet ground too.

I know it's off the beaten path a little, but Mulberry loves some wet soil. deer love the leaves and a lot of critters like the berries. I have had good luck with Pear and Persimmon on wet ground too.
A few threads on mulberry if you search. I think @Native Hunter has talked about them some.

Wow been reading about silky dogwood. Looks really good too. Anyone think it’s a bad idea to plant some red osier or silky dogwood in between rows of apples/persimmons/pears? I mean I like nice open rows but the big bucks don’t.

I plant both. They definitely prefer the ROD for browse but will hit both even in the same area. It will probably get you more cover faster with the silky.

Wow been reading about silky dogwood. Looks really good too. Anyone think it’s a bad idea to plant some red osier or silky dogwood in between rows of apples/persimmons/pears? I mean I like nice open rows but the big bucks don’t.
Ive been planting arrowood viburnum, black chokeberry, and ROD in between trees. I like the idea, especially in a small orchard plot.