Looking for design input on combination food plot and CRP field

bgusty

5 year old buck +
1ae883e02449c695cf3e0bb321601ff0.jpg

Working on a plan for next year on the family farm. The northern field with the pond is the only one that I can mess around with.

Little background - the field (with the small inlet on the N edge) is roughly 11 acres. Somewhat low land, floods in the spring every 2-4 years. E edge of the field goes up a small hill. It was enrolled in CRP probably 15 years ago, that expired a few years ago. It’s grown up with a lot of weeds - goldenrod, buckthorn, and small scrub maples in some spots. You can see in the part nearest the river on the W side, it’s grown up with a bunch of scrub trees. The E side you can see a small scrape area that has water as well - small duck pond left over when it floods.

Right now the plan is to do a controlled burn in the spring and maybe have a land clearing company come out and get rid of the scrub trees and mulch those and any stumps.

I would like to put most of it back into some kind of CRP or prairie program to cover property taxes, but I would also like to leave some out for food plots. Right now I’m leaning towards leaving the small N inlet as food plots, a 20 yard wide strip on the N border running E-W, and maybe that area that has grown up into trees on the W side, wrapping around to the pond on the S.

I also like the idea of putting the biggest ball and burlap swamp white I can afford in that little inlet.

Any thoughts/ suggestions on both layout as well as what to put in would be appreciated. I’m in southern MN, zone 4b.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk