Frost Seeding Switchgrass in Logged Area

younggun1849

5 year old buck +
We clear cut some spots on our ridgetop this past fall. I'd like to frost seed switchgrass in a couple weeks in some spots where I would rather have switchgrass than regen. Any guesses on the chances at getting the switch to establish? There's quite a bit of exposed soil from the skidder and dragging trees out so I'm optimisic, but we'll see. It was mainly oak that we cut, and we aren't seeing great oak regen in other areas that were cut 4 years ago.

I'd guess that the native weeds and seedlings would out compete the switch grass. Then again you would only be out the cost of the seed, so you aren't risking much anyway. If the weeds take over you can spray round up on everything and try switchgrass again after the native stuff is dead

I did a small clear cut for a switch grass planting. It was around 1 1/2 acre. I am really pleased with the way it grew. I sprayed then dug around the stumps with a digger. I did burn it around year three. I do have some black Berry’s growing that I would like to kill. My only complaint is that I live to far north and the snow will bring it down some years before deer season. I have started planting some pine trees ,it will help my switch grass stay up on years we get snow. The way I look at it even if the brush starts growing it will be real thick. At my place it ended up filling a gap. I have had one of the funnest days of hunting while hunting over my switch grass. I also used switch grass with a alder and pine planting to remove a badly placed food plot. It is still filling in and is starting to look like a good bedding area.