Frost damaged oaks

Maya

5 year old buck +
Here's a few pics of some White, Swamp White and Hybrid Bur's that took a bit of a hit from a hard frost. Looks like they are going to come back ok though.DSCN2757.JPG

White...

DSCN2759.JPG

Last edited:
DSCN2755.JPG

My burr oaks had 100% burn
image.jpg
They are just starting to push out all new leaves.

image.jpg

That's ugly Chummer! Most of mine had some burn, but new leaves are coming right in to replace the bad leaves.DSCN2760.JPG

I was worried the first day but they seem pretty good now. These have been in the ground for 3 years, maybe on their 4th leaf now. These hybrid Bur's have grown twice as fast as some Swamp Whites planted at the same time. They are supposed to spit out some acorns faster too, we'll see! Does anyone have any older ones producing acorns? DSCN2762.JPG

Last edited:
Bigger trees seem to have fared better...Swamp White.DSCN2765.JPG

Some little guys tucked around some shrubs did ok. Swamp White... DSCN2763.JPG

Last edited:
How old are the ones with the atv? Are those hybrid and if so what kind and where did you get them? I have a few swamp oaks left out of the 50 I planted 3 years ago. They look healthy but our only 3-5' tall.

index.php

Looks like a bur leave on the right.

Source for your hybrid Bur oaks ??

I've had some burrs start putting out small amounts of acorns after 6 years or so. Trees aren't hardly an inch in diameter. Not even sure if hybrids but just some ones from a local chapter of NWTF. Posted some pics of 'em on a forestry forum a few years back and they thought looked mostly like a regular ole burr oak and not hybrids (but had good roots and looked to be in great shape when planted as a bareroot).

I've had some burrs start putting out small amounts of acorns after 6 years or so. Trees aren't hardly an inch in diameter. Not even sure if hybrids but just some ones from a local chapter of NWTF. Posted some pics of 'em on a forestry forum a few years back and they thought looked mostly like a regular ole burr oak and not hybrids (but had good roots and looked to be in great shape when planted as a bareroot).
I've got to go look at mine Rocks, maybe there is something hanging. They are over an inch in diameter, but only 3rd or 4th leaf. Post some pics of them if you have them, I'd love to see 'em!

Thanks Rocks, I never would have looked. Only 2 out of about 40 trees have acorns, but hey, it's only been 4 years! The trees are about 1.5 - 2" dbh and 8 - 10' tall I'd say. Unreal!DSCN2767.JPG

The burr with acorns is the tree in front, behind it is a white oak planted at same time that grew much faster but no acorns yet (and likely not for a number of years) These burrs grew slow, taking 3 years or so to get out of a 5 ft tree tube but at 8 ft tall started to have some acorns. In contrast I had one of the whites blow out of a tree tube in one year, or should I say tried to. I don't use bird netting over the top of tubes anymore unless I know how fast things are growing. The white had the leader curl over and had to restart one from a bud below. Now 5 years later can't see the offset anymore and looks nice and straight but took awhile.
1DSC01414 (Small).JPG

2DSC01411 (Small).JPG

3DSC01412 (Small).JPG

These pics are from last year, just checked today and still too early to tell what this year will bring. However someone got the munchies and on one tree managed to pull it over and eat off all the leaves as the support rope came undone.......grrrrr

Happy to report my Burr oaks are all leafed out again. Probably will not get any new growth this year but they are alive.