Pin oaks or hybrid reds

Wind Gypsy

5 year old buck +
Are there hybrid red varieties looking at like the white oaks we talk about a lot? Thinking about adding some pin oaks to my hybrid SWO plantings because they seem to do well on my wetter ground and are supposed to grow fast. Just curious if there anything that might be better yet than pin oaks.

I have a couple pin x nuttall crosses. Planted them last year and had a ton of winter due off, but they seem to be bouncing back. Jury is still out on them. Also have a dozen or so shumard x northern red crosses. They're a couple years in the ground. Some are doing great. I got all of these from Wildlife Heritage trees.

We have a big pin oak in our front yard. I planted it in 1987, and it was about 7 or 8 ft. tall. The trunk dia. was about 1 1/4" at planting - trunk dia. today is a bit over 2 ft. - and it's about 60 ft. tall now. They do grow fairly quickly. Our soil is clayish and doesn't drain really well. It started putting out acorns after about 6 years, and it dumps loads of them these days. The acorns are NOT as big as red oaks put out though.

There are pin oaks growing wild in a swampy section of land I pass on the way to our camp. They look very healthy ........ if any of this info helps.

I have a nice sized Pin that's all by itself out in the field of my hunting property. About 100 yards up wind is a wall of mature northern reds and blacks. One of my future goals is to grow some of these out to see what happens.

I bought pin oaks from Ace Hardware . In pots, they were heat stressed, I wish I would have known what I know now.

I had swamp ground I could have planted them in, but instead my wife wanted most of them in the yard.

They are struggling, and one out os six is near dead.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    929.9 KB · Views: 16
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    478.5 KB · Views: 16
I like your mule!

Thanks!

He is named Scooter.