Fred

Bluecollaroutdoors

5 year old buck +
I just want to dry an area up and break the clay up.

Last edited:
If the ditches will keep it dried out anything should ok.
If not I don't think there is much that will grow. Maybe the WI guys know. Some of them deal with wet areas.

My neighbor would tell you to put reeds canary grass in there. But then you just have a replacement for the phragmite.

Hybrid Willows :emoji_grimacing:

I'm not sure what you should plant but I have had experience with phragmite and it is a bitch to kill. I would spray it with something extreme like crossbow....twice!

I'm not sure what you should plant but I have had experience with phragmite and it is a bitch to kill. I would spray it with something extreme like crossbow....twice!

The key to killing phragmites with chemicals for some reason is hitting it in late summer. Not really sure why? I was doing some research about getting rid of a small patch I have on my land and learned that spring and early summer treatments are fairly ineffective. Once I sprayed later in the summer I had better success.

The key to killing phragmites with chemicals for some reason is hitting it in late summer. Not really sure why? I was doing some research about getting rid of a small patch I have on my land and learned that spring and early summer treatments are fairly ineffective. Once I sprayed later in the summer I had better success.

Some Einstein planted it in the landscaping years ago behind the house I live at now. It took me years of hitting it with Roundup and pulling it to get rid of it..the roots run yards away and pop up sprouts. I would have shoots popping up out in the yard in the grass and after mowing it would crown terrible and run more shoots. It even got under the siding of the house.

Streamco willow loves in feet in the wet areas

You can "soften" the clay by spreading gypsum on it, it would be hard to put to much on.
It is great stuff for any heavy clay ground helps plants use nutrients better, helps with fertilizer and salt burn, stops ground cracking, helps the dirt hold moisture and it's cheap. If you put it on spring and fall within a couple years you will notice a big difference.

I buy it at the local Landmark farm store.