Franklin Cider Tree Availability

Sorry folks for being off the radar for so long. I guess my addiction for deer hunting caught the best of me. I know I was in the wild woods much too long when my beard grew out so long that kids started to mistaken me for Santa at the store. At least my wife stated that I cleaned up pretty well. There are a few questions I picked up on in this thread about the Franklin that I would like to comment on. There has been a question of availability for 2018. I believe Stark Bros is almost sold out for 2018 but still has them available for 2019. The Franklin is featured in Starks 1018-2019 Wholesale Catalog.

There are a number of retailers who have purchased trees for spring sales 2018. I contacted Alan Deese at the Wildlife Group "a nursery strictly dedicated to wildlife and the enhancement of its natural, productive beauty". They will have a good number of trees available for spring planting. Here is the link: http://www.wildlifegroup.com/

The Franklin is patented (USPO - named "Mayo" finalized Sept 17th). Most of the attention is with Cider Makers seeking to add to their orchards. A cider blend with the Franklin was entered in the 2017 International Cider and Perry Competition, for which I received a bronze metal. As an avid hunter who is always seeking cultivars that have an attraction for wildlife, I also found the parent tree on my orchard property to be uniquely suited for that purpose. I believe I have done my homework first in evaluating the value it would have for the sportsmen community and open to any questions you may have about the Franklin.

There is around 800 trees in the ground here in the North Country along with what I have planted on my property. Reports coming back state the growth habits are excellent, as is documented where grown by the Stark's nursery. More feedback will be coming from other regions of the country. For example, a research group at the University of Montana will be under a modified Growers Agreement to do an evaluation study.

Again, feel free to ask me any questions you may have.

Is there resistance to cedar apple rust?
Yes, both Scab and Cedar Rust resistant as evaluated at the Stark Nursery and stated in the "Stark Bro's 2018 & 2019 Wholesale Catalog".

Sorry folks for being off the radar for so long. I guess my addiction for deer hunting caught the best of me. I know I was in the wild woods much too long when my beard grew out so long that kids started to mistaken me for Santa at the store. At least my wife stated that I cleaned up pretty well. There are a few questions I picked up on in this thread about the Franklin that I would like to comment on. There has been a question of availability for 2018. I believe Stark Bros is almost sold out for 2018 but still has them available for 2019. The Franklin is featured in Starks 1018-2019 Wholesale Catalog.

Again, feel free to ask me any questions you may have.

Do they come with the BM seal of approval and signed photo of BM himself? :emoji_grin: ..... What's up Bill? We need to catch up. I'll give you a call.

Headed across the lake ice on my 4-wheeler to check my orchards on the Quebec border. First time in 20 years I have had deer get into an orchard. Checking up on the repairs to see if it is working. Deer doing well this winter. Saw around 50 during my last trip. We do need to catch up on conversation. Give me a call this evening or send me your phone number in a message.

Dr. - As far as I know - and have been told by Cummins Nursery folks - Stark Bros. Nursery is the ONLY nursery where the Franklin Cider trees will be available from now on. They have the rights to produce and sell it. ONLY THEM. They bought the rights from the guy in Vermont that had the original seedling tree. FWIW.
That is correct. Stark® Franklin Cider™ apple is a Stark Bro's exclusive and cannot be resold by any nursery, including Wallace-Woodstock.

I recently e-mailed Stark Bros. and asked if Franklin would be available for retail sales for Spring 2019, and I got an e-mail back only confirming they had received my question. Their response said they get thousands of questions and answer them as time permits due to their work-load. That's all I know for now. If they e-mail me an answer, I'll post what they tell me.

That is correct. Stark® Franklin Cider™ apple is a Stark Bro's exclusive and cannot be resold by any nursery, including Wallace-Woodstock.

I've been trying to rationalize this post along with the posts by appleman and others talking about others selling Franklin cider apple. Here I the best I can make sense of it. Note the post above refers to "Stark Franklin Cider" which is trademarked. The patent was granted to William and Susan Mayo which identifies Franklin Cider as a unique variety. So, it is possible that the patent holder licensed the patent to multiple places non-exclusively and Stark simply put their name in front of it and trademarked the name. Another possibility is that the patent holder licensed the patent exclusively to Stark for propagation, Stark put their name in front of it and trademarked the name, and Stark is wholesaling it to other nurseries who are calling it simply Franklin Cider rather than the trademarked "Stark Franklin Cider".

Anyone have any insights?

Thanks,

Jack

Wildlife Group sold Franklin Cider Apple trees this spring. I bought one.

They were not listed in the catalogue. I think I got an email from them telling me they were available.

I bought six Franklin from Cummins last spring (2017), but I guess Stark is the sole proprietor now. However, I think that Stark supplies other nurseries? Either way, there's too much propaganda going on for a tree that's not proven beyond a single "found" seedling with some great characteristics. It may be that Franklin is the best thing since sliced bread, but I think that the crown is going to have to wait until a few more trees in diverse locations start producing. Nevertheless, I was willing to take a chance and it seems like others are, as well. But I'm not drinking the Kool Aide just yet.

I bought six Franklin from Cummins last spring (2017), but I guess Stark is the sole proprietor now. However, I think that Stark supplies other nurseries? Either way, there's too much propaganda going on for a tree that's not proven beyond a single "found" seedling with some great characteristics. It may be that Franklin is the best thing since sliced bread, but I think that the crown is going to have to wait until a few more trees in diverse locations start producing. Nevertheless, I was willing to take a chance and it seems like others are, as well. But I'm not drinking the Kool Aide just yet.

The real test will come when the trees start flowering in fireblight (FB) prone areas. In my entire life I have never seen a tree get FB until it starts flowering, and FB starts entering through the flowers (shoot blight). If I remember correctly, Mr. Mayo stated that FB was generally not a concern in his area. However, I am going from memory and will be happy to stand corrected if I have misquoted him.

Like you, I was willing to take a chance. I have two of them now. They are planted next to red cedars and the leaves are as clean or cleaner than any apple on my farm. I see no signs of scab or CAR. If the tree resists FB and crops in this area like it does in its home area, it will be a winner for sure.

I drank the Kool-Ade. I think it sounds awesome, and I'm really excited about it. Down the road I will add some Kingston Black and a few other cider varieties.

So far I have:

Roxbury Russet
Bulmers Norman
Franklin Cider
Wickson crab
Hewes crab
Golden russet

I have a few years before I can do anything with them, but that gives me time to find recipes and blending suggestions.

What's a good apple to provide a lot of juice for blending? Are enterprise and Chestnut crab good for that? What about Macoun and Cortland?

I snapped 2 photos of 1 of my Franklin trees today while at the farm. I have (2) which were planted last year. I bought them from Cummin's, I don't think rootstock type was listed. Last year they didn't do much. End of April of this spring we had close to 7" of rain which has helped get them off to a good start. I know there was another thread on here where Bill mentioned they are one of his most vigorous growers. I haven't seen those traits yet in the 2 trees I have. They have displayed average vigor at best. I'll keep y'all posted.
f7d713f4bdbfb2d12901d209946c3453.jpg
7809a532f25b2fbfc0b3717c24814541.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Mine came as two foot trees last year from cummins. I'd say they are 3 1/2 ft now. Not super vigorous but it does seem clear of disease so far.

I bought a Franklin from Cummins in 2017. So far so good, but some other varieties are growing as good, if not better than the Franklin. The buzz about the Franklin is its brix numbers, which are very attractive to cider makers. For my purposes, I look for vigor, cropping, ripe date, and disease resistance characteristics. With that in mind, I fully expect the Franklin will be a good addition to my wildlife orchard, but I don't expect it to take the place of other proven varieties I already have planted. My pet peeve is that now that it’s a Stark exclusive, I don’t have any choice of where to buy one. I know it’s a business, and I have nothing against Stark, but that kinda sticks in my craw. Just my 2 cents.

As far as the FB issue with Franklin - I read that Stark had done some field trials with Franklin at their home base in Mo. The report I read said it had no disease problems, so they decided to propagate it. Hopefully that is all true and it proves to be a good DR tree. The 2 we have at camp are doing well so far. Bought last year from Cummins.

I've got a spot I can plant a half dozen or so more apple trees, definitely want to put in a couple Franklins.

Mine are growing very vigorously and generally have very good natural crotch angles. 67877C10-7EA4-4638-936F-5EF4E2E41004.jpeg

Mine are growing very vigorously and generally have very good natural crotch angles. View attachment 18756

I planted mime last year as 3" whips - they are now over 8" tall and both actually have 3 apples on them after 1 year of growth.

Fastest growth rate of any apple variety I've ever planted and as said above, phenomenal 90 degree crotch angles - couldn't be happier with them!

^^^ Nice.
I just got off the phone with Stark Bros. They told me they'll only be selling Franklin Cider Apple trees wholesale next year. 50 or more required to be able to buy. Previously, word was they'd be available for retail sale. No soap, fellas.

^^^ Nice.
I just got off the phone with Stark Bros. They told me they'll only be selling Franklin Cider Apple trees wholesale next year. 50 or more required to be able to buy. Previously, word was they'd be available for retail sale. No soap, fellas.

Aside from not wanting to lose a year, that is exactly why I jumped on them this year when I could.