For you Gallagher guys

Tap

5 year old buck +
I realized something today while I was taking down the Gallagher fence that protected my sunflowers.
Any instructions that I've ever seen says to run the wire and tape THROUGH the metal cotter pins that go through the holes of the fiberglass posts.
There's a better way.
Instead, do a wrap or two AROUND the cotter pin. This will allow the wire and/or tape to be removed without having to remove the pin. That will be a big time-saver when taking down or re-installing the fence next time.
And the way the wrap around the pin is made can also act as a tensioner. Too much slack? Just wrap the wire from one side of the pin to the other, back and forth until the slack is removed. No need to spend money on their factory made tensioner gizmos.
Another option to doing the wrap-around is to push a loop of wire/tape through the pin and then slip the loop over the head of the pin. Either way, the pins won't ever have to be removed and re-installed each time the fence is installed or taken down.
Seems like a no-brainer to me, and maybe many of you have already figured this out. Sometimes, I'm a slow learner:)

I really don't need one of those fences, but I would like to try one as a huge utilization cage. How much does it cost to fence an acre and how much of a pain in the but is it to put up and take down.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I really don't need one of those fences, but I would like to try one as a huge utilization cage. How much does it cost to fence an acre and how much of a pain in the but is it to put up and take

Gallagher is definitely not the cheapest way to go. I have about $900 in my acres worth of fence. I went with Gallagher because it was a package and for customer support. You can save a few hundred by shopping for individual components.
It was still a "bargain" for me. I can now grow things that I could never establish without an E fence.
And, as far as I can tell, I had zero deer get inside my fence this year. Most years, there have been a few that jump it, but not this year. These fences really do work well.

I had about $1,100 in my 3 acres so the larger the field the more cost effective it is. The big hit is for the charger and you can get those cheaper non-Gallagher.It was worth every penny and was the difference between soybeans which were 12" sticks and this.

IMG_2481_zpshah9l1ft.jpg