Foggy's Deertopia Proving Grounds - Happenings

If I wear shorts when it's hot my legs and arms look the same! I always see something I have to dive in the brush to go after with clippers.

That Mullien is pretty invasive......and if you leave it go to seed.....your gonna have a chiton of mullein for a long time to come. The deer dont use it.

I had the same issue with it. Attempting to spray it the stalks kept knocking the boom arms back. never saw any deer using it.

BTW...just caught up with this thread Foggy, your place looks great!

Last edited:
I have about a 2 acre plot of clover and rye.....and in some sections I have a pretty bad flush of Mullien rosettes that were bugging me. So I decided to spot spray the Mullien in hope I could corol them long enough for my rye and clover to better take ahold. My plan is to plant brassica in part of this plot in July.....and I will likely kill a portion of this plot where the Mullein is the worst and plant the brasica there. All no till. Then today my sprayer developed some more issues. the main tank leaks at the threaded connection where the strainer is located. I think the threads are shot.....and I do not know how to fix such a thing. I think it's time for a new one. Seems FIMCO is the only brand that is supported with parts around here. Likely will do some research and buy one for a UTV. I think I am stuck with a 3 outlet "boomless" model.....as that seems to work best on my land / plots.

I started to just provide a "Tip" on how to prime your pump after a winter of storage. I use an air gun to pressurize the tank slightly.....which primes the pump like a champion. Never fails.
View attachment 52665View attachment 52664
Did you drill a hole out of the cap to insert the air gun?

Did you drill a hole out of the cap to insert the air gun?
No.....just temporally remove the supplied plastic tether supplied by FIMCO. Just press down the "ear" on that plastic tether to remove it.....and use that hole provided. (I suppose you could drill a hole if you prefer to not use the furnished hole.....or have a different brand.). The compressed air adds just enough "incentive" to prime the pump quickly and easily. Has worked for me every time.

No.....just temporally remove the supplied plastic tether supplied by FIMCO. The tip of my blow gun is just pressed against the opening.
Just press down the "ear" on that plastic tether to remove it.....and use that hole provided. (I suppose you could drill a hole if you prefer to not use the furnished hole.....or have a different brand.). The compressed air adds just enough "incentive" to prime the pump quickly and easily. Has worked for me every time.

His are suspiciously smooth thouigh. :)
LOL. OK Kooch.....so you made me do a google on why men get hair loss on their legs. Somewhat common with aging - (Im 76) and many lose hair on your head (not me) while other parts of your body can also lose hair. I'm too old to worry about it.....but it is a curious thing. Can be caused by a myriad of things including cancer or other illnesses or deficiencies, or even too tight of pants...lol. At 76 I've had my share of these things (but not the tight pants) and have dodged a number of health bullets so far. Not gonna lose sleep over it. Next week is a colonoscopy, followed by a cystocopy a week later, followed by a dentist, and then cadiologist. Grin. They inspecting every orifice in this body. Wut?.....Me Worry?

I mentioned it to my wife, who works as a caregiver for folks much older than you, and she told me the same thing. "A lot of men lose their leg hair as they age. You should hope you lose your gut instead." So, she put me in my place for teasing you about your beautiful legs.

Regardless of your hair, or lack thereof, consider yourself lucky to be able to wear shorts in the field in June. If I did that I would spend the next hour pulling ticks off me.

LOL. OK Kooch.....so you made me do a google on why men get hair loss on their legs. Somewhat common with aging - (Im 76) and many lose hair on your head (not me) while other parts of your body can also lose hair. I'm too old to worry about it.....but it is a curious thing. Can be caused by a myriad of things including cancer or other illnesses or deficiencies, or even too tight of pants...lol. At 76 I've had my share of these things (but not the tight pants) and have dodged a number of health bullets so far. Not gonna lose sleep over it. Next week is a colonoscopy, followed by a cystocopy a week later, followed by a dentist, and then cadiologist. Grin. They inspecting every orifice in this body. Wut?.....Me Worry?

Gettin old ain't for sissies ... I am about ready to give my Doc an engagement ring there has been so much getting to know you 😜

I agree with Bill your place is looking great. The drought is starting to affect my rye and clover plot as well. Just 20 miles south they got 2" this week, but none here. I'm wanting to get my soy/milo in the ground for a fall plot, but the forecast does not show a good rain event until June 11th, at which time I will be on the road for a couple of weeks.

As the the priming of the pump, good idea, thanks for sharing.

Got my Cuddeback cameras out now.....and picking up lots of pictures each day. My rye was slow to start and still is quite weak in many areas....tho its been coming on lately. Most of my clover is still in survival mode largely due to my No-Till practices and retaining the moisture from spring snow melt. So....the deer are using my clover plots at most times during the day. I found this pic of two deer in a rye / clover plot to be interesting as the rye pretty well conceals the two standing deer.....and provides great fawning cover. In July....that rye will be mulch.
deer in the rye.jpeg

They need to issue way more bear tags in that part of the state! I’ve been getting pics of them too lately. Kind of nervous about what my tree tubes and young apple trees look like right now with those assholes around.

Did you have food residue on your hands when handling the camera? That’s what always got me. Bacon for breakfast, then go rub cameras. Was always a lock to have bear nose pics.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Did you have food residue on your hands when handling the camera? That’s what always got me. Bacon for breakfast, then go rub cameras. Was always a lock to have bear nose pics.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I don't think so. Big jerk bear!

I think your fields look great my friend.

I think your fields look great my friend.
Thanks Omi. We got a 1/4" of rain over the past two days......which is the first rain in over three weeks. In my sand.....that is can be catastrophic if you just planted things. With my current plan however of keeping roots in the ground.....my clover has fared fairly well......and the rye has come on in the past week or two. It's now over 4 feet tall and starting to develop seed heads and to flower. I was repairing my camera mount today.....and one of my trail cams took this pic of the best rye I got. Maybe it will grow another foot high? It's helping to shade the clover.....and I saw a few deer stand up in these fields as I drove by. Indicates a doe and fawns bedding in these fields. Smile. Deer are getting fatter for sure.
Best Rye on June 6th.jpeg

Attachments

• Best Rye on June 6th.jpeg
    Best Rye on June 6th.jpeg
    52.2 KB · Views: 19