Flower id

D

dipper

B14F0700-8F51-46A4-9001-450F8C7FEC42.jpg

Flowering now, kind of like grass. It produces pods loaded with seeds.

It's an iris. Wild ones are called blue flag, I think.

Looks like an Iris to me also.

X 3. Don't eat the roots, they are deadly toxic.

Thanks guys, u think that seed will be viable?

I've never seen iris seed produce new plants. Iris are best propagated by digging up and separating the tubers.

Yup exactly. Iris's are hardy as hell too. I have a ton at my house and they are taking over a few flower beds so I just chopped off a huge bunch of roots and took a bunch up to the farm on Saturday to put a few clumps in my orchards. The only value i'm aware of is that they are nice to look at. I once found an Iris rootball at my city recycling center (dump for yard waste). it was about 90 degrees and they were just laying on the blacktop, looked like they had been there for a good while. I took them home, stuck them in the ground and watered them. They bloomed the next year just fine. They do grow well in central Wisconsin beach sand, my grandpa grows them around his barns.

Blue Flag can tolerate wet feet, but it's not required.
2012-06-01_16-01-06_455.jpg

Looks like praire nursery and others are selling seed. Seed isn't cheap at $20/oz.
I grabbed a bunch last summer , and planted it, not knowing what it was. I probably shouldn't have planted it, without knowing if it was invasive, but the gamble might pay off. I can't dig it up, so seed is going to be my only propagation option. I really don't have anything to loose.

Since u guys are so good
57A6ED2C-05CB-4F90-9EFC-A4A6F600C06C.jpg

EDFFB603-2C05-4134-AF33-6E788C76BB6F.jpg

My head is spinning, I just forgot all the plants I learned last year. Haha, how do u guys remember this stuff?

I agree with Stu that first is peony. I'm 80% sure the second is Shining Blue Star. The time is right for it.

Agreed on the peonies. I know them from way back as a little kid. We had them at my grandparents old place in Kenosha. I still remember to this day when my dad was plowing snow one winter for a little old lady down the road, she absolutely freaked out on him for plowing over the ones along side her driveway. He plowed her driveway like 3 more times that winter for free as compensation.

Found a real good one, praire milkweed. I guess it is threatened. Only one I ever recall seeing, but I'm new to this game.
BF276B90-9AA5-42A9-ADF0-50529EB9B242.jpg

Freaking score on praire smoke! Dug up 6!
974E2F05-D668-4104-A8DA-CF108586D66F.jpg

It's fun wildflower hunting!

Gonna harvest wild lupine seed tomorrow, the pods were turning yellow 2 days ago. It might be a little early, but I'll be killing king salmon the next 7 days before the fourth. I found out the lupine matures and the pods burst quick, so I'll be too late if I wait.

Gonna harvest wild lupine seed tomorrow, the pods were turning yellow 2 days ago. It might be a little early, but I'll be killing king salmon the next 7 days before the fourth. I found out the lupine matures and the pods burst quick, so I'll be too late if I wait.
You have to be on top of them for sure, the seed will be on the ground in just a few days once the pods start "popping". I know a buddy who has tried to hang mosquito netting like material a few inches off the ground with stakes that has had some limited success in collecting the seeds, it's not like you will collect enough to sell, but to seed new patches of them on your own property, you can usually get enough for projects like that without too much extra effort.

I dug them up and stuffed some in 3 gallon rootmakers. That isn't a real good picture because it was buried, but the stuff I dug up has that distinct flower starting to open.
I am no expert but that flower sure looks like praire smoke to me

Not saying you're wrong dipper, just that one of us is ;) Maybe the foliage in the pic you posted doesn't go with the blossom? What makes me say yours is different than mine is the foliage, not the blossom. My p.s. has already bloomed and set seed here. This is what mine looks like nowView attachment 5647
Yup that's it, you can't seed the plant good in my pictures because it's being choked out by another plant

10 gAllons of wild lupine seed, pods and stem. Took me about an hour, it was a good morning exercise. The bottoms seeds were already turning black and opening. Perfect timing