All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Florina

PoorSand

5 year old buck +
Can anybody remind me of the drop time pattern of Florina (a/k/a Querina)? Something like "most of them drop in X month" and "others hang on through Y month and some even onto Z month" would be great. I ordered a couple sticks from a commercial nursery and they called today and said they had so many Florina scions that they shipped me a dozen extra at no extra charge. I have plenty to topworking to do for deer, so I can put them to use, but I don't want to spend my time on a variety that drops too early.

My recollection of the disease resistance is:
Scab: R
Fire blight: MR
CAR: VS
Powderly mildew: MR

It is the drop time I am asking about. The rest of the ratings are okay for where I am growing.

Thanks guys.

Mine ripen in October, with most apples dropping mid-October through mid-November. A few will still be hanging to Mid-December, then gone by end of the year. My notes only say “some resistance”. To what – I don’t know, but I have not seen any real problems.

I attempted to develop an "Apple drop chart" based on my orchard location in Western NY. Finally gave up as it seemed that I always had something more important to do at the time. From my limited entries in 2017, I listed Querina as dropping approximately 40% of fruit by Nov. 1st and 70% by December 1st. Drop times could be somewhat different other years based on weather conditions and location.