fishing reports

We slammed Mahi and Golden Tile fish today. Didn't even get the tuna gear out. Cooler is packed with ice and fish to clean in the morning. EHD hit me hard this year. We pull the boat next week.. next year I may get an extended fall slip. Fall winds suck but when you can get out it's worth it.

View attachment 69279View attachment 69280
How deep you catching those tile fish?

How deep you catching those tile fish?
We caught yesterday in about 600 feet. Drift was fast so we had to use 3lb weights. Electric reels are almost a must.

We slammed Mahi and Golden Tile fish today. Didn't even get the tuna gear out. Cooler is packed with ice and fish to clean in the morning. EHD hit me hard this year. We pull the boat next week.. next year I may get an extended fall slip. Fall winds suck but when you can get out it's worth it.

View attachment 69279View attachment 69280
I'd have a hard time getting anything out but the tuna gear! I wish I had a chance at them, probably my favorite meat! Nothing like a seared tuna steak, or sushi.

I'd have a hard time getting anything out but the tuna gear! I wish I had a chance at them, probably my favorite meat! Nothing like a seared tuna steak, or sushi.

Tuna are predictable creatures. We may have picked up 1 but conditions weren't right to load up on them. What we did give up was the outside shot at a bigeye. They are unpredictable and can make the trip unbelievably special.

Bill,

You use drift socks ever? Slow the boat right down on a drift. Even 2 or 3 5 gallon buckets tied to a piece of rope.

Packing up for my fall tog trip to rhode island. Just fishing by the rock piles. I use a hi lo rig and put squid on the hi rig. Catch stripers and tog on one pole. Spray painted a bunch of lead weights yesterday. flat black with a quick spray of tan over top.

Bill,

You use drift socks ever? Slow the boat right down on a drift. Even 2 or 3 5 gallon buckets tied to a piece of rope.

Packing up for my fall tog trip to rhode island. Just fishing by the rock piles. I use a hi lo rig and put squid on the hi rig. Catch stripers and tog on one pole. Spray painted a bunch of lead weights yesterday. flat black with a quick spray of tan over top.

No I haven't tried them yet. Funny you mention your trip. I just got invited to Rhode Island for a Tog trip this coming weekend. To bad I can't make it.

No I haven't tried them yet. Funny you mention your trip. I just got invited to Rhode Island for a Tog trip this coming weekend. To bad I can't make it.

Are tog good to eat?

Are tog good to eat?
I've never caught on because it's a winter fish. But the word is yes.

They taste great, they are only really active during the day, so no 2am alarm clock necesary. They are active eaters, but can be a challenge to fish because they are talented bat stealers.

Not sure about offshore fishing tuna, mahi ,etc. But, near shore in the northeast they're the best fish in my opinion. Flounder can be a close 2nd.

Added bonus, I learned to catch both species well using one pole. Caught a nice 17 inch tog, rebaited, then 5 minutes later a 27 inch striped bass.

Point judith area.

I'm more than somewhat jealous of all this ocean fishing... Keep it going!

I used to work as an engineer for the long island fossil power plants. Used to fish the plant discharges lunch time and after work. The outflow would be 10 degrees warmer. Also, some dead baitfish would be in the discharge. Was litterally a buffet table for fish in the area. Was a real lucky guy back them.

Typical freshwater fish you catch is about the same size you use as bait in the ocean. Certain things you see in the ocean folks dont even believe. Like a bluefish blitz on bait. The thousands of baitfish can make a wave of their own. OR they go on shore to avoid capture. Had a few bunkers go down my waders over the years. Seeing shark play with sea lions is a sight too.

One good thing about living in the south is we get to fish year round.

^^^

I live in the far north and we get to fish year round too. I will take a frozen lake over a boat any day of the week.

^^^

I live in the far north and we get to fish year round too. I will take a frozen lake over a boat any day of the week.
Not always, its got to be cold enough for ice and enough of it. Some years not that lucky.