fishing reports

We were in 100-120 fow, targeting fish 60-80 feet deep. Just jigging spoons and blade baits.

Walleye and bass are on deep structure in the lake I fish. Crystal clear water and almost 80 degrees on the surface now.

Make sure you have a working sonar.

Had our annual family vaca to the Cass Lake chain in northern MN. The chain is a part of the headwaters of the Mississippi River. Same as usual, the daytime walleye bite is nearly impossible for us. I think the few boats who even bother trying it during daytime are sharpshooting the fish with forward sonar. We did fair trolling cranks after dark. Pic of my sister and of my girl, Bethany, who didn't mind helping me in the fish cleaning house til 2am.

20240724_232102.jpg20240725_003236.jpg20240725_003455.jpg

Nice haul!

We had fun. Halibut had to go back though:(. Season opens the 16th
What kind of fish are those? The fish on the left looks similar to a freshwater dogfish and several of the other fish look somewhat similar to bass. That's quite a haul!

That Tuna looks outstanding! 😋
I've heard tales of lobstermen's children in the old days complaining about eating lobster all the time. I could see that.

Tonight's dinner was the same as lunch, which was the same as yesterday. 🤣

My neighbors may not like me but they would never say so. Free fresh tuna for all that want it.

IMG_4216.jpeg

Tuna steak is awesome. I like living in Minnesota, but it would be awesome to be close to the ocean for the fresh seafood meals like that.

Rockfish, the bright one is a canary and couple ling cod. The four of us had a blast and the fish is excellent eating!

Recovering from a 36 hour trip. One small yellowfin tuna but tuna fishing was slow. We learned a new trick. Fishing for Golden tile fish. Just like flounder fishing only in 500 feet of water with 2 lb weights. Bad part is you have to keep them all regardless of size. When they come up that far they won't survive being thrown back.

IMG_7358.jpeg

500' is deep! Although I may have fished that deep for halibut in Oregon. We used 2lb was and it took forever to get them on the bottom.

500' is deep! Although I may have fished that deep for halibut in Oregon. We used 2lb was and it took forever to get them on the bottom.

We cheated. My son did the first one with a Penn 30 to see if there were any fish in the area. After he caught one we broke out the electric reel and just pushed the buttons....😉

Very interesting fact about lobster. It was considered junk. Most people wouldn’t eat it. Then the trains came and they served it to the people on board who thought it was exquisite. Then it really took off! IMHO, I think it is overrated. I'll take shrimp, clams, calamari any day!