fishing reports

Got a limit of 1.5 pounders when the side canal was running current.

This spot had mostly tiddlers ( dinks)

St. Louis river near clouquet

Attachments

• 582E27E0-6F4A-4328-8B2E-E0CA415B5F51.jpeg
    582E27E0-6F4A-4328-8B2E-E0CA415B5F51.jpeg
    383.7 KB · Views: 27
Tell me about your electonics. I have a mini-pontoon boat that stays on our pond that I'd like to put a fish finder on but have no clue what I need or want. Does your Garmin have everything you want? What would you consider mandatory options? I really have no clue what I'm looking for and would rather learn from someone else's trial and error...

I have a tiny little Garmin Striker 4 unit. I power it with an AMPED OUTDOORS lithium 12v 15ah battery (like a vexilar battery). Then I have a suction cup transducer that I can easily stick and remove to the side of a canoe. I set the battery on the floor of the canoe right below the unit and I put the transducer right over the edge from my seat. I have it mounted on a tiny piece of 1x4 that I creatively strap to the canoe. This year it was zip tied to a bigger 1x4 that I used as a measuring board and to set some of my tools. The whole set up is meant to be very light and to draw very little power going 20 miles deep into the BWCA. I love the set up. The only thing I have done with my Garmin is hit the power button and put the flasher into "traditional" or "flasher" mode. I have never once played with the settings.

I have had really good luck with the whole set up. Its not that expensive. Maybe $150 for the Garmin, $110 for the battery, $30 for the transducer, and maybe $20 for the charger. The lithium battery last a long time. Maybe up to 20 hours. I have never ran out of power running this tiny unit. Its the best sonar I have used to find fish, but that's not saying much. I needed a light inexpensive unit more than anything. Its just a huge bonus that it works so good. Its not hard to find a pile of fish in the BWCA. I mostly just need something showing me the depth.

We also use paracord, basketball nets and carabiners to make our own anchors out of the local rocks.
IMG_5376.JPEG

I have a tiny little Garmin Striker 4 unit. I power it with an AMPED OUTDOORS lithium 12v 15ah battery (like a vexilar battery). Then I have a suction cup transducer that I can easily stick and remove to the side of a canoe. I set the battery on the floor of the canoe right below the unit and I put the transducer right over the edge from my seat. I have it mounted on a tiny piece of 1x4 that I creatively strap to the canoe. This year it was zip tied to a bigger 1x4 that I used as a measuring board and to set some of my tools. The whole set up is meant to be very light and to draw very little power going 20 miles deep into the BWCA. I love the set up. The only thing I have done with my Garmin is hit the power button and put the flasher into "traditional" or "flasher" mode. I have never once played with the settings.

I have had really good luck with the whole set up. Its not that expensive. Maybe $150 for the Garmin, $110 for the battery, $30 for the transducer, and maybe $20 for the charger. The lithium battery last a long time. Maybe up to 20 hours. I have never ran out of power running this tiny unit. Its the best sonar I have used to find fish, but that's not saying much. I needed a light inexpensive unit more than anything. Its just a huge bonus that it works so good. Its not hard to find a pile of fish in the BWCA. I mostly just need something showing me the depth.

We also use paracord, basketball nets and carabiners to make our own anchors out of the local rocks.
View attachment 65054
I would think Minnesota would prohibit “ Pristine Rock Disturbance!”

I would think Minnesota would prohibit “ Pristine Rock Disturbance!”
Unless it’s for a mostly peaceful demonstration….

Man that trip has been on our list for sometime. Coming from several states south, the logistics seem daunting though.

Unless it’s for a mostly peaceful demonstration….

Man that trip has been on our list for sometime. Coming from several states south, the logistics seem daunting though.

Its not as tough as you think. Portage pack, a couple changes of clothes, a food pack, a tent/sleeping pad/sleeping bag, water filtration, primus stove, MREs, leeches, jigs, couple poles. If I was by myself I could likely single portage and go for a 10 day trip. It gets much harder the further you go and the more gear you bring. Like I said before it is a world class experience. Go do it while you can. My 8 year old daughter did just fine. Gonna be a LONG wait until I get to go again at the end of next May.

My wife was very sad to leave. She already said we should spend more than 5 nights on the water next year. She didn't have to ask me twice. I will probably go for 7 nights next year.

Its not as tough as you think. Portage pack, a couple changes of clothes, a food pack, a tent/sleeping pad/sleeping bag, water filtration, primus stove, MREs, leeches, jigs, couple poles. If I was by myself I could likely single portage and go for a 10 day trip. It gets much harder the further you go and the more gear you bring. Like I said before it is a world class experience. Go do it while you can. My 8 year old daughter did just fine. Gonna be a LONG wait until I get to go again at the end of next May.
Dammit…you may just talk me and a buddy or two into it. Especially with a trip report like you just did.

Valley City North Dakota

Started at 3:15 am filled out by 6

Fat and sassy!

Attachments

• B9B91669-0217-4A56-BC30-8CBFD5FB3173.jpeg
    B9B91669-0217-4A56-BC30-8CBFD5FB3173.jpeg
    398.3 KB · Views: 14
  • B2AA8F7A-E77D-4A92-9C80-13EAB389D7D8.jpeg
    B2AA8F7A-E77D-4A92-9C80-13EAB389D7D8.jpeg
    406.5 KB · Views: 15
  • 4245859D-D1DF-4D88-854B-DD131F7EC76A.jpeg
    4245859D-D1DF-4D88-854B-DD131F7EC76A.jpeg
    496.2 KB · Views: 16
  • 4E336E4C-1695-4057-B18E-7368E415A3CA.jpeg
    4E336E4C-1695-4057-B18E-7368E415A3CA.jpeg
    241.7 KB · Views: 17
Yellowstone this morning.

Glendive ,a lot of debris in river. Biting dead shiners the best.

Attachments

• 47A70A1C-35A1-46AB-8A85-825FFB64726A.jpeg
    47A70A1C-35A1-46AB-8A85-825FFB64726A.jpeg
    344.3 KB · Views: 15
  • 3611A41F-CE42-402A-A622-26902D5133A9.jpeg
    3611A41F-CE42-402A-A622-26902D5133A9.jpeg
    301.2 KB · Views: 17
After I got home from the Boundary Waters our daughter (19) and her bf (20) loaded up all of our gear and headed up for their own trip. They were well coached by me and had a very successful trip. They camped on the same campsite that my wife and I camped on last week (18 miles out). One of their days they made a long day trip to a spot that is on my bucket list. They made it out around 25 miles from the entry point. That is farther than I have gone. She caught her PB walleye (28"). They really stacked the fish in that spot. Pretty cool they were able to make it so far.

They also got into a real good bite close to the campsite. Its a great spot with a south wind. They stack up in there. The whole family is already planning the trip for next year. We might be going for 7 nights next time. Gonna have to get in deep next time. They also got a moose encounter at about 23-24 mile mark. They saw a pair of juvenile moose together along the lake shore from the canoe. Pretty great to have 3 moose encounters from 2 trips. Ours on the way out was epic. 4:50am and mama and baby moose cross the calm water right in front of our canoe and shallow cedar neck down. Gonna be hard to top that one.

IMG_071900_0.PNG

Tell me about your electonics. I have a mini-pontoon boat that stays on our pond that I'd like to put a fish finder on but have no clue what I need or want. Does your Garmin have everything you want? What would you consider mandatory options? I really have no clue what I'm looking for and would rather learn from someone else's trial and error...
I have the same unit. I use it for ice fishing, and also on my remote Canada trip. I've been using it for 3 days and battery is still up. It's great for marking waypoints, seeing depth, water temp, speed, and marking fish. Hard to beat for the money.

We had the grandson overnight Saturday…all he wanted to do is fish, imagine that!

I felt sorry for the perch after about a half hour, it was all “got him” “it’s a jumbo” “big one grandpa”.

IMG_7710.jpeg