First yeah crp question

trappertim

Yearling... With promise
Hey guys . Had my crp drilled Late march and I broadcast cave in rock switch grass the weekend after. Might have had a frost or 2. Weeds and clover were coming on last month so I sprayed 24d and it looks like the clover is still there. Looks like water grass and foxtail coming in. I'm sure natives are to I'm not an expert though. Could the weeds and clover choke out my natives? I'll probably mow it here in a week. Should I spray 24d again late fall or early spring? Thanks guys

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What are all the plants in your crp mix?

We usually dont see any CIR for 3 years after planting.

I think it's cp2. Big blue little blue. Indian and some others. Thanks guys!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Any switch grass in the mix? There are other herbicides that you can use...unless you have switchgrass in the mix.

Mowing the foxtail is an option. We mowed native grass stands during the first year with no problems. I'm not sure how thick the clover is, it may cause a problem if it is really bad.

Year one I usually just mow when I start seeing switch emerge or when any of my problem weeds are just setting seed. Year two I usually spray with 2,4-D or dicamba. By spring year three I can usually get fire across the planting, which is my preferred management. These plants are designed for fire! After that first burn is when I put the forbs in.

We've had good luck just mowing the first year.