First time spreading lime by hand

Natty, that is a very unique design of lime spreader. Did it come with the wheels behind, or is that some kind of homemade retrofit? Do you know what brand it is? That design keeps it very narrow.

I've never done it personally, but I've seen others (on the forums) use a leaf blower to 'distribute' the lime out of the trailer rather than shovel it.

I think you would get move even coverage and a lot less work using a leaf blower!

-John

Tooln: We should go into the Custom Ag-Lime spreading Biz. .......Kinda like the rain dance biz that Sandbur and I used to operate. But this time I will collect the fees......and you do the work. Deal? :)
Come on now Foggy I didn't fall off the short bus for a deal like that.

Last edited:
Can you get pelitized instead?You should be able to get pelletized lime for $150-200 a ton. In my small plot I use a small pull behind ag fab spreader, it holds 120lbs. If you have someone dumping the bags in the spreader it is nothing to spread a ton. It will spread the lime out better than hand spreading. Let the machines do the work, spreading by hand will take the fun out of it.

Natty, that is a very unique design of lime spreader. Did it come with the wheels behind, or is that some kind of homemade retrofit? Do you know what brand it is? That design keeps it very narrow.

Hey wiscwhip, it's an EZ Flow spreader. Still has the label inside for seed, fertilizer and lime rates. I bought it from a guy in Ohio who delivered for free to a tractor festival not an hour from me. So, not sure if the wheels are factory original or somebody's clever design. If somebody rigged it up they did a good job because one of the tires has a chain driven housing to move the auger inside the hopper.

I'd like to restore this thing in the near future.

Can you get pelitized instead?You should be able to get pelletized lime for $150-200 a ton. In my small plot I use a small pull behind ag fab spreader, it holds 120lbs. If you have someone dumping the bags in the spreader it is nothing to spread a ton. It will spread the lime out better than hand spreading. Let the machines do the work, spreading by hand will take the fun out of it.

I probably could find pelletized if I looked harder. I did find it at one place but it was like $8 a bag.

Spreading it by hand wasn't too bad. My brother and I had it done in about an hour. But I hear you...would love to have my lime spreader fixed up so it could do the work.

Got 1,500 pounds of lime in my little plot on Saturday. I lucked out at my ag dealer because he loaded the bags in my pickup with his forklift on a pallet. Saved some lifting. My brother and I had it in my DR versa-trailer in about 15 minutes, and then it took us no more than 45 minutes to drive around the plot unloading it by the shovelfull.

Down the road I would love to have bulk ag lime delivered and use my lime spreader to do the same job. For now, this seemed to be a decent way to get some lime down. As my plots get bigger and more numerous I can see this becoming a time and labor intensive chore.

IMG_1734_zpsvwzpp6vg.jpg

lime_zps2kzignl7.jpg

IMG_1736_zpsti6hlvbz.jpg

IMG_1738_zps2iujiio5.jpg

IMG_1737_zpss6ebnwxa.jpg

Nice job but I gotta tell you I don't miss that dust. After using those dusty bags of lime one time I never went back. I still use the throw and spread method but with bulk ag lime dumped onto my trailer at the coop. ZERO dust.

Nice job but I gotta tell you I don't miss that dust. After using those dusty bags of lime one time I never went back. I still use the throw and spread method but with bulk ag lime dumped onto my trailer at the coop. ZERO dust.

That's the way I'd like to go. I need to find a source of ag lime in Western Mass.

Come on now Foggy I didn't fall off the short bus for a deal like that.
I think you and foggy need an experienced person to manage the beer money, I mean manage the money.

Send checks to SANDBUR.

Good job on the lime spreading, Natty!

Natty - From the pix it looks like you got pretty even coverage with the lime. Plot should def. benefit. Good luck with whatever you plant in there !!

Natty - From the pix it looks like you got pretty even coverage with the lime. Plot should def. benefit. Good luck with whatever you plant in there !!

Thanks bowsnbucks. Thinking about rye and/or buckwheat this year.

How about both, get the rye and BW down at the same time, the BW may reseed and double crop itself if you get it in soon. The BW will die with the first frost and leave the rye for winter/spring food. It is a great combination for just starting a plot. The rye may not look like much under and amongst the BW right away, but it is pretty tolerant of shade and shouldn't have an issue competing with the BW at all. They are both great at scavenging nutrients from the soil and building OM.

Sounds good Whip. We planted both last year and will plant both again this year - buckwheat is already in & popping. We rotate.

How about both, get the rye and BW down at the same time, the BW may reseed and double crop itself if you get it in soon. The BW will die with the first frost and leave the rye for winter/spring food. It is a great combination for just starting a plot. The rye may not look like much under and amongst the BW right away, but it is pretty tolerant of shade and shouldn't have an issue competing with the BW at all. They are both great at scavenging nutrients from the soil and building OM.

I like it! Sounds like a good plan. Thanks for the help.

Nice job Natty. I have said it before but your place reminds me of mine. If you have a tractor supply you can usually get pellet for $3 a bag. I just have a push spreader I put it down with. A little here a little there, it all adds up. Now when I start planing my plots for the 4 acres at my new land...I don't have a plan.

Nice job Natty. I have said it before but your place reminds me of mine. If you have a tractor supply you can usually get pellet for $3 a bag. I just have a push spreader I put it down with. A little here a little there, it all adds up. Now when I start planing my plots for the 4 acres at my new land...I don't have a plan.

Thanks chummer. I do have a TSC nearby. I'll check into that.